June '23 Chat - Will BBT be in the wedding?

Status
Not open for further replies.

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
I saw a "cheap" LBZ extended cab on craigslist..the prices are definitely coming down.
I'm seeing the prices drop too. Some of the older / high mileage ones, extend and crew are going for as low as $5-6k. They where more then double that just a year ago

Reactions: 1FastBrick

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
Tell him your offer of 4k stands. He'll call you again in a month when it doesn't sell
Yep. Pretty much what I said today. $4k and no higher. He declined. We'll see what happens. In the meantime, I'll keep looking for another

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
I didn't see anyone else mention it, but there hasn't been a DPC since 2019 and likely won't be since there is no longer a magazine to host the event.

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
I didn't see anyone else mention it, but there hasn't been a DPC since 2019 and likely won't be since there is no longer a magazine to host the event.
Did a little googling. Couldn't find any references or anything regarding Diesel Power magazine being cancelled, shutdown or no longer around but also didn't see anything new from them. Just kinda stopped posting or giving updates. Do you have any more information on what happened or is going on?

Reactions: wydopenLb7

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
Is there any significant differences between an 01/02 v. an 03+ LB7 for modding or building into a go fast rig? Like I was discussing above about that 04 LB7 jalopy that the guy wanted too much for, would an 01 really be any worse or harder to work on or have any disadvantages?

I'm not too familiar with the under 03 electrical, not having played with it as much, but as I understand it it is more switch/point to point controlled with less BMS involvement. Plus the little differences in the engine. Like the Y bridge, AC, oil sensor, behind the dash junk, radio, etc.

If one was to rip out all the AC stuff, radio, any other behind the dash stuff that is unnecessary. Would it essentially be the same as an 03/04 for all practical purposes?

I see another listing for an 01. Looks to have a few mild upgrades. Lift pump, traction bars, exhaust stack 🙄, and most likely a tune since who puts traction bars on an otherwise stock vehicle? They are asking $6500. Again I think is too much but the vehicle may be in better condition overall. Maybe I could talk him down some. But only if there is no disadvantages to going to an 01.

I guess if I ever wanted to upgrade the engine to an LLY or LBZ sometime later that would make it harder to do with more wiring involved

Oh, and they also use the front bumper that Chevy continued to use while GM upgraded to the, in my opinion, the much better looking one a year or two later. I guess I could probably swap it out. Pick and pull has them for under $100

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
I can only say on the wiring an 03-04 will be easier to LLY swap. But I know it can be done on an 01-02 as well. Not sure if there is any tuning difference that makes an early or late LB7 more or less desirable.

Also I have a Brand New Banks intercooler kit with pipes for an LLY still in the box that you should take into consideration... 🤣🤣🤣

Reactions: 2004LB7

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
For a race application, especially if you're staying LB7, then 2001-2002 is not meaningfully different. There's some complications with overdrive lockout, but for racing that's not an issue, as you can just adjust the trans tuning to do what you want.

Most of the differences are in the body harness, which it sounds like will be gutted anyway.

Sent from my FlashScan V2 using Tapatalk

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
For a race application, especially if you're staying LB7, then 2001-2002 is not meaningfully different. There's some complications with overdrive lockout, but for racing that's not an issue, as you can just adjust the trans tuning to do what you want.

Most of the differences are in the body harness, which it sounds like will be gutted anyway.

Sent from my FlashScan V2 using Tapatalk
That's good to know. It won't be a full blown race truck. I'd like to make it somewhat practical qs a daily driver too. Bit when I want it can rip pretty good at the track. I've always liked the idea of a stripped down vehicle with less to go wrong and easier to maintain and repair

I think with a 450-500 hp street and 800 or so track tune I'd be happy. I'd like to go as quick as possible without needing a roll cage

darkness

Jul 15, 2009
vegas
Nothing different tuning wise. Hell, you can even run 01-02, 03-04 scripts over each other without issue. You will get the errors for the missing/added tables but just click ok. I personally like the 01-02 Chevy front ends better than the cat eyes and I’ve seen ss bumpers on the earlier as well.

Reactions: 2004LB7

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
Nothing different tuning wise. Hell, you can even run 01-02, 03-04 scripts over each other without issue. You will get the errors for the missing/added tables but just click ok. I personally like the 01-02 Chevy front ends better than the cat eyes and I’ve seen ss bumpers on the earlier as well.
Yeah, I prefer the earlier front end, Especially the GMC ones over the cat eye as well.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
01 just has the funky belt tensioner that’s hard to get (might be easier now). If you got a 02+ acc brackets, easy enough to change that over. ODLO is just a matter of the certain 02 os, I think I still have that tune if needed. Then just hook up 2 wires and a momentary switch. Someone makes a tap shift that incorporates it all using the different shifter. Works in 01-02 cause I was in an 02 that used it and I was playin with it lol.

By all means, I wouldn’t let an 01 hinder you if it’s a choice between it and 02+ trucks. Specially for a race truck

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
01 just has the funky belt tensioner that’s hard to get (might be easier now). If you got a 02+ acc brackets, easy enough to change that over. ODLO is just a matter of the certain 02 os, I think I still have that tune if needed. Then just hook up 2 wires and a momentary switch. Someone makes a tap shift that incorporates it all using the different shifter. Works in 01-02 cause I was in an 02 that used it and I was playin with it lol.

By all means, I wouldn’t let an 01 hinder you if it’s a choice between it and 02+ trucks. Specially for a race truck
Hmm. I don't think I've ever used the ODLO on my previous LB7. I think I just set the TH shift pattern to not use 5th unless it was above something like 75 mph or less then 20% throttle. I could probably do something similar to keep the trans from upshifting to OD at whatever speed/RPM I wanted to effectively be like it's in ODLO. But I don't see me using it to tow much or haul any significant loads. I have another truck that would work better for that anyways.

I'm not really getting the warm and fuzzies with that 01 with the current modifications done to it. Unless it already has a built transmission which could buy me some time before I need to eventually need to take it to Even. The price is a little high. They stat it hasn't been smogged which makes me think there is something modified that is making it fail. DMV won't let me register it without a current smog check. Possibly the exhaust modifications to add the stack.

I might just wait to see if the price comes down. Or keep looking if it doesn't

wydopenLb7

Mar 10, 2023
California
Hmm. I don't think I've ever used the ODLO on my previous LB7. I think I just set the TH shift pattern to not use 5th unless it was above something like 75 mph or less then 20% throttle. I could probably do something similar to keep the trans from upshifting to OD at whatever speed/RPM I wanted to effectively be like it's in ODLO. But I don't see me using it to tow much or haul any significant loads. I have another truck that would work better for that anyways.

I'm not really getting the warm and fuzzies with that 01 with the current modifications done to it. Unless it already has a built transmission which could buy me some time before I need to eventually need to take it to Even. The price is a little high. They stat it hasn't been smogged which makes me think there is something modified that is making it fail. DMV won't let me register it without a current smog check. Possibly the exhaust modifications to add the stack.

I might just wait to see if the price comes down. Or keep looking if it doesn't
Post a link or a pic. It won’t pass with the stack. That isn’t a problem though if you want to pm to discuss.

Status
Not open for further replies.