How's everyone doing with this virus crap?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShopSpecialties

Jun 4, 2008
Grass Range, Montana
WTH is going on here ? The woman died on February 16, 2020 of COPD. The son received a letter this week saying she was tested on June 20 and it was positive for Kung Flu and she needs to isolate for 10 days. This is simple data that requires no thinking so how can they screw up so bad ?

56taskforce

Mar 30, 2014
To be infectious, or capable of spreading it, you need to have a viral load high enough to be multiplying and ejecting from the body. It is theorized that to get infected you need to have somewhere around 800 to a thousand viruses in your vulnerable areas

The antibodies are more of a short term rapid response system to the virus. The T cells are more of a long tem protection. Most of the tests are for finding the antibodies or virus DNA. I say if they can, donate antibodies if they can. It won't hurt anybody but may help. After a few weeks to a few months those antibodies will drop off and the opportunity will be gone. But this doesn't normally mean they are at risk again. Those T calls will remember it and ramp back up the fight and develope a quick response to prevent the virus from multiplying fast enough to be contagious. That's one of the reasons, despite what the media is trying to portray, the young don't spread it and there is little known instances, if any, where they are the source of someone else getting it. The virus doesn't get a chance to multiply fast enough before the immune response squashes it. They may test positive but have no chance of spreading it.
The DNA tracing is very interesting and added a huge amount of insight about the whole thing for me. It seems that people don't understand that a virus is not a living entity but just a string of proteins and DNA. A virus cannot reproduce by itself it needs the cells of another living creature to copy it. Because the virus will always have DNA from the cell that last copied it do DNA it is possible to tell exactly who gave it to who.
Viruses are not like bacteria they cannot grow on a surface. There is no food source for a virus as they do not eat they do not consume or expend energy.

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Comments on the testing procedure? Did they use the big swabs or tickle your tonsils with the long straw? I've had both, and the latter is most unusual feeling.. Like sneezing out a noodle.

Well, last night I waited in line for an hour and a half, finally got to the testing part and they said, "They couldnt find my paperwork." So I had to go back in this morning.
After another hour and a half wait, I was finally able to be tested. Long swab, felt like it touched my brain. :LOL: Just like any other flu test.
So, we'll see what we'll see in a couple days.

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
The DNA tracing is very interesting and added a huge amount of insight about the whole thing for me. It seems that people don't understand that a virus is not a living entity but just a string of proteins and DNA. A virus cannot reproduce by itself it needs the cells of another living creature to copy it. Because the virus will always have DNA from the cell that last copied it do DNA it is possible to tell exactly who gave it to who.
Viruses are not like bacteria they cannot grow on a surface. There is no food source for a virus as they do not eat they do not consume or expend energy.

I've tried to explain that living vs not living part to some people. Some just can't wrap their head around virus' not being alive. "Well them, how do they infect?", "How do they travel around", "how do they multiply if they are not alive" where the kind of responses I've gotten.

I think though that you may have the coping the DNA from the host a little mixed up. It is not common to copy dna from the host into it's own. In fact it is more common for the reverse to happen. Fragments of the virus get left in the host cells and get incorporated into the hosts dna. Well in the case of this virus it is actually all RNA and not DNA but same concept.

The tracing they do is track the mutations that the virus undergoes. Somewhat like the game of phone. If you know what the early RNA of the virus looked like then you can predict what the next mutation may be. If it started out as cat (in the phone game) then there are a few mutations possible. Bat, hat, fat, etc. Then they look at the mutation at try and work out the next most likely mutation. This is how they work on the flue virus vaccine every year. And why there are several vaccines some years. If they can correctly guess the next mutation they can work a vaccine for it before it even gets around. But finding people's DNA/RNA in the virus is unlikely. Instead they work backwards through the mutations of the virus itself

56taskforce

Mar 30, 2014
I've tried to explain that living vs not living part to some people. Some just can't wrap their head around virus' not being alive. "Well them, how do they infect?", "How do they travel around", "how do they multiply if they are not alive" where the kind of responses I've gotten.

I think though that you may have the coping the DNA from the host a little mixed up. It is not common to copy dna from the host into it's own. In fact it is more common for the reverse to happen. Fragments of the virus get left in the host cells and get incorporated into the hosts dna. Well in the case of this virus it is actually all RNA and not DNA but same concept.

The tracing they do is track the mutations that the virus undergoes. Somewhat like the game of phone. If you know what the early RNA of the virus looked like then you can predict what the next mutation may be. If it started out as cat (in the phone game) then there are a few mutations possible. Bat, hat, fat, etc. Then they look at the mutation at try and work out the next most likely mutation. This is how they work on the flue virus vaccine every year. And why there are several vaccines some years. If they can correctly guess the next mutation they can work a vaccine for it before it even gets around. But finding people's DNA/RNA in the virus is unlikely. Instead they work backwards through the mutations of the virus itself
It was my understanding that the virus would have trace DNA of the cell that copied it. I thought that this DNA tracing was how these studies on children and spreading knew for a fact that the virus was not going from the children to the adult.
As far as explaining to those who don't understand that a virus is not living is to explain that a virus has no ability to reproduce it is copied by a host cell. As long as the host cell is copying the virus it can't it is no longer reproducing and replacing itself.

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
I've tried explaining it that way. The argument comes back with "but there are other parasites that need a host to reproduce...."

56taskforce

Mar 30, 2014
I've tried explaining it that way. The argument comes back with "but there are other parasites that need a host to reproduce...."
How about all living things have at least one cell. A parasite may use a host to reproduce but a virus doesn't reproduce it is copied by a cell

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
Been there done that. She is not dumb by any means, so I think it is a case of misinformation and when she looks into it later she will understand.

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
The small town I deliver to somehow got caught up in the middle of an outbreak last week. Upwards of 25 cases reported. Yay. HS got switched to online learning immediately, but the grade schools are still in session. (weird) The county as a whole got hit, too.

On another note, a mask nazi reported our building to MiOSHA, so now those bureaucrats are doing "audits" on our center to make sure all us unwashed peons are wearing our masks while inside the building, and they are going so far as to watch drivers out on their routes to see if they are wearing their masks into businesses while delivering! Absolute b-s! Id like to find out who the f-n nazi was so I could kick them square in the ass.

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
That's certainly BS Tom. I can think of at least one other place that kick may be more effective but then again, he may not have any 😂

Today I was listening to Tom Sullivan and a caller said she knows 6 different people who went to one of the testing centers but the line was too long and they ran out of time and where told to come back later to get tested. Before they even came back they got notified they had tested positive. They didn't even get the test done yet "tested" positive. That is also BS in my book

ShopSpecialties

Jun 4, 2008
Grass Range, Montana
I was at a shop last week where one of guys got sick so they sent him home for 2 weeks. He went to his doctor 2x and both times the test was negative. After a week or so passes he goes back for the antibody test and it comes back positive. He starts asking his doctor some questions and just shrugs his shoulders and says "I do not know and to go on with life". Another one in the same shop went to drive up testing where he filled out the paperwork but got fed up with waiting in line for over an hour so he left. A couple of days later he gets the phone call that he is positive and needs to quarantine. 20+ employees with no masks or social distancing with 1 maybe positive.

One of the testing places in the state has it written on your test results that it is only 56% accurate.

Preston

Making ends meet
Aug 2, 2020
Alabama
Wow, just caught up on the thread. My question is how many of you are going to take the flu shot this year. What if that sum bitch has been compromised.

kidturbo

Piston Tester
Jul 21, 2010
Somewhere On The Ohio
www.marinemods.us
Of course your gonna have some messed up paperwork and such in the mix when your testing 100k people a day for anything. But I really don't believe all of the CDC researchers and the over worked medial staff in the US are in some huge conspiracy to try and kill off any more people more than are actually dying from this simple hijacked protein. What's in it for them? Drug companies sure thing, but testing centers get paid the same Pos or Neg results. This isn't some single state issue, everyone around the world is dealing with it whether they want to or not..

Since day one I've looked at case and fatality numbers on a global average rather than by any state. It's purely Humans vs a basically invisible little bug, with some really neat DNA and reproductive characteristics, that would certainly make Darwin proud.. Odds land somewhere in the realm of: "Your life is the sum of a remainder of an unbalanced equation inherent to the programming of the Matrix. You are the eventuality of an anomaly, which despite my sincerest efforts I have been unable to eliminate from what is otherwise a harmony of mathematical precision." ―The Architect to Neo during their only encounter.

Then I see this video of an Ohio college student who obviously doesn't give a crap if he infects the whole school, city, or state by his actions. That lowered my calculated bet humans would win the battle by about 35%. Remember back in early Feb when video surfaced of police in China reportedly dragging infected poeple out of their homes. This poor officer just wanted to get out of the neighborhood before the zombies drug him into a house...

Reactions: fast03

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
But did he really test positive? I'm reading that some report the test is barely better than 50% accurate. The next would be, is he contagious? So far, in what I've seen, read, heard, there has been little to no transmission to another from asymptomatic people

Preston

Making ends meet
Aug 2, 2020
Alabama
I’m not going to take a 50/50 chance with something that already killed one of my good friends and hospitalized several others. The selfishness is unreal. What a shame.

Reactions: fast03

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
I’m not going to take a 50/50 chance with something that already killed one of my good friends and hospitalized several others. The selfishness is unreal. What a shame.

You could say the same thing about driving, or a myriad of other things, but many do it without thinking twice about the risks

Reactions: stroke250

ironmax

chock full of goodies
Jul 7, 2010
Col. Ohio
Does anybody have the latest death rate percentages for the U.S.? It would be interesting if there was a large fluctuation in posted numbers. I've seen right around 3% for the U.S.

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
Per the CDC site, as of Sep 16:

Infection cases - 6,571,867
Deaths - 195,053
Percentage = 2.96%

If you break it down by age,

85+ - 31.7%
75 to 84 - 26.4%
65 to 74 - 21.1%
50 to 64 - 15.6%
40 to 49 - 3.2%
30 to 39 - 1.3%
18 to 29 - 0.5%
5 to 17 - 0.1%
0 to 4 - <0.1%

These numbers will obviously go down as testing continues and the cases go up while the deaths go down

Preston

Making ends meet
Aug 2, 2020
Alabama
No, not really. When driving unless drunk you have control of the brake, gas and steering wheel. Let alone the time to decide wether to drive or not. A scan with a 50% accuracy rate on a potentially deadly virus can’t be seen or heard but it can be dodged. At those odds, I choose to air on the side of caution. You do what you want and may the force be with you. All I’m saying is why risk it. Your more valuable safe than sorry.

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
But it looks as if you have forgotten about all the other drivers on the road that you have no control over. If you don't want to risk it then stay home. Life is all about risks and management. If you are at a higher risk to this virus then isolate yourself. But to tell someone else that they need to wear a mask, distance themselves, sanitize, shut down their business, loose their jobs, etc to protect you is not right. You have a right to all these things to protect yourself but you don't have a right to make others do it to protect you.

Status
Not open for further replies.