How's everyone doing with this virus crap?

Status
Not open for further replies.

malibu795

misspeelleerr
Apr 28, 2007
in the buckeye state
I get to start covid-19 disenfectant/abatement/cleaning/DeCon training Friday, or so I was told today as 2 other guys got pinked slipped.. See how much CBR training I actually mentally dumped when I got out of the Navy in 08

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200320-172812.jpg
    Screenshot_20200320-172812.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 35

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
What do you get when you combine a 3 week stay-at-home order and tax return season?

Christmas Part 2!!! Holy crap, people are buying everything!

Funny, but even though people are supposed to stay away from everyone else, Im seeing groups out walking, large numbers of kids playing together, and everyone comes outside to get their packages straight from me instead of waiting til I leave them on the porch. :hehe:

AthenaLMM

Swiss Army Wife
Jan 29, 2020
Mesa, AZ
I've heard heat & the sun kill the virus. Not sure how true that is, but I'm definitely glad I'm in AZ if that's the case. Of course, I just looked out and it's overcast. -_-

FC5452

Mar 17, 2013
Eastern PA
We were just ordered from our governor to shelter in place until April 6th starting at 2000hrs. It’s a blooming ghost town out here. Earle to say the least.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
I've heard heat & the sun kill the virus. Not sure how true that is, but I'm definitely glad I'm in AZ if that's the case. Of course, I just looked out and it's overcast. -_-

From my understanding, the heat, as long as your not talking boiling, if from the increased humidity that generally comes with it. It help the lungs clear the virus better from what I've heard

As for the sun, UV rays brake down DNA so unprotected viruses exposed to sun light will after a period of time be destroyed. How long it will take I have no idea

Benny315

Benny
Feb 11, 2019
Backwoods, Savannah, NY
The "virus" thrives in about 50° weather. Water molecules protect it and that's how it is passing around, like coughing/sneezing. Our body is 90% water and we exhale water molecules quite often, examples​ being fogged glasses/helmets or just blow hot air on a window and you can see it like your breath in the winter.
The virus is a living organism, the cell is surrounded by a fatty protein type barrier with hooks that stick to your lungs. The vaccine they are trying to come up with breaks those hooks so our body can fight it and expell it easier. (My sister is a head pharmacist)
Most house hold cleaners will kill it including shop chemicals, if you used brake clean to kill bee's before then you know how resilient we are. All you have to do it pop the bubble protecting the cell and it "spills it guts". Dish soap we all know dries are hands causing shrinkage and cracking, do that to the virus and when it dries-pop.
That's why they are pushing washing frequently and good hygiene.
Pretty bad when I know more about this than the tranny in my truck right about now and don't dare spend a dime on wants till I know my job is safe. Lol.

BoiseRob

Oct 12, 2007
Everyone heavily rely's on internet for communication. Land line phones, cb radios are obsolete.

That's exactly why I have HAM radios. Me and other "like-minded" Idahoans...

:D

Idaho Governor Little issued a 21 day "shelter in place" order yesterday. Thank God we're essential. I have 5 Sheriff rigs at my shop getting graphics on them.

TexasRedNeck

Diesel Newbie
Nov 25, 2012
Houston, Texas
That's exactly why I have HAM radios. Me and other "like-minded" Idahoans...

:D

Idaho Governor Little issued a 21 day "shelter in place" order yesterday. Thank God we're essential. I have 5 Sheriff rigs at my shop getting graphics on them.

Exactly. I need to get my 10M antenna up at the weekend place.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

AthenaLMM

Swiss Army Wife
Jan 29, 2020
Mesa, AZ
02940128457c36f192a15c05f32731f4.jpg

My dad’s HAM antenna setup. He’s in the process of moving the one he had in his old green truck to my old 05 there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Guys, if you think the internet is going to go down, you might want to take your tinfoil hat off as well.

Benny315

Benny
Feb 11, 2019
Backwoods, Savannah, NY
Nothing wrong with playing with some free old hobbies at a time like this.. My base antenna (starduster)was damaged many years ago, but I have some good old mobile equipment still including my moded Washington with 1500 channels. You see James, old school tinkerers are the one's that led the way for tinkering with new school tech like building your own tune file. This was our means of communication back in the day, we use to play alot of cat n mouse around here, alot of fun times making your truck into a beam and parking on top of a hill or in fields. I use to talk to Texas, Tennessee, Canada, Idaho on a regular basis, without landline phones, and it's non censored.. My father was a secret service observer in Vietnam, even he said They only want you to see what They want on tv.
Plus helps keep you busy and your mind off other things to not drive you crazy. (Shredder, 331 Empire State)

Pure Diesel

Apr 22, 2008
Ventura County
I remember going over to my grandpa's house and sitting in his basement listening to him talk on the radio. He had a 10,15,& 20 meter rig. He would talk to people in New Zealand and it was cheaper than a phone call, back in the early 70's. A lot he said would depend on the sun and the atomspheric conditions, if he could talk to them.

Benny315

Benny
Feb 11, 2019
Backwoods, Savannah, NY
I remember going over to my grandpa's house and sitting in his basement listening to him talk on the radio. He had a 10,15,& 20 meter rig. He would talk to people in New Zealand and it was cheaper than a phone call, back in the early 70's. A lot he said would depend on the sun and the atomspheric conditions, if he could talk to them
Correct, we call that "skip". Moisture in the air from before and after storms and cloud cover and atmospheric pressure all plays a factor.
In fact, next time you ride around in your truck instead of listening to your smart phone try turning on the am radio. See how quickly some things are changing, has anyone noticed the Red Cross ad? "We need blood donation, the people with cancer and getting in accedent's are taking the blood needed from others"... What other's? I thought they needed masks and ventilator's.... Listen to the commercials on TV, cyber bullying??

AthenaLMM

Swiss Army Wife
Jan 29, 2020
Mesa, AZ
Nothing wrong with playing with some free old hobbies at a time like this.. My base antenna (starduster)was damaged many years ago, but I have some good old mobile equipment still including my moded Washington with 1500 channels. You see James, old school tinkerers are the one's that led the way for tinkering with new school tech like building your own tune file. This was our means of communication back in the day, we use to play alot of cat n mouse around here, alot of fun times making your truck into a beam and parking on top of a hill or in fields. I use to talk to Texas, Tennessee, Canada, Idaho on a regular basis, without landline phones, and it's non censored.. My father was a secret service observer in Vietnam, even he said They only want you to see what They want on tv.
Plus helps keep you busy and your mind off other things to not drive you crazy. (Shredder, 331 Empire State)

My Dad was a north Vietnamese linguist for the Air Force in the early 70s. Dad, his little brother in California, and his best friend all have the whole HAM setup in the house, as well as mobile setups, Morse code, and aviation radio (Dad’s a pilot). He even got to keep my Grandpa’s old call number.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pure Diesel

Apr 22, 2008
Ventura County
Correct, we call that "skip". Moisture in the air from before and after storms and cloud cover and atmospheric pressure all plays a factor.
In fact, next time you ride around in your truck instead of listening to your smart phone try turning on the am radio. See how quickly some things are changing, has anyone noticed the Red Cross ad? "We need blood donation, the people with cancer and getting in accedent's are taking the blood needed from others"... What other's? I thought they needed masks and ventilator's.... Listen to the commercials on TV, cyber bullying??

Unfortunately, where my grandpa use to live was in Westwood, CA. They started building all these huge high-rise buildings around him and the reception/transmission quality went down and he didn't use it as much. The family moved him to a retirement community out away from the city and they allowed him to erect the rig and he started using it again to the day he passed away. :thumb:

Last edited:

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
And if the internet systems like unemployment dmv are going down now,, prepare for internet to go down all together. Then we are cut off from one another. Everyone heavily rely's on internet for communication. Land line phones, cb radios are obsolete.

see the bold above, thats where my comment stems from as it seemed to carry on past that post as well.

as for radios, nothing new to me. i have my own that have been used for racing and now for dune runs and desert runs. I also worked with the DPS radio system for all the troopers here in az. i know well more about this stuff than you think. no different than someone asking me what dwell is, how to tune a carburator, setup points, and so on.

Benny315

Benny
Feb 11, 2019
Backwoods, Savannah, NY
James, yes I did say that. Do I ever hope I am wrong, your dam right and I will be the first one in line for you all to give me slap in the face and say you told me so.. But it's not about whether that may happen or not, it's about communication and what may be happening that the news will not show you. I consider you all friends here, you guys are very picky on words and data to the diesel world I know that, I bite my tongue alot here to try not to misinform anyone. But frankly, I am a bit scared.
I will not post anymore, I see this has become more of a competition and nit pick of words.
But thank you everyone for giving me the time and know how to fix my truck.

Status
Not open for further replies.