Hayden Fan Clutch

c20elephant

C20ELEPHANT
Apr 25, 2013
Phoenix, Arizona
Starting around 08/09, the EXPRESS vans and KODIAK's with the DURAMAX went to the VISCTRONIC or EV fan clutches that were electrically instead of thermally controlled. Pickups didn't until 2011. The LML from what has been found uses a 25 or 26 inch fan blade, but the van appears to use a 21" blade just like the 01-05 trucks used. I was wrong about who made the controller, but BORG WARNER has an add on one, or you can wire it up to an on off so it's either unlocked or fully engaged as several have tried this and found it works. The fan blades can be bought on rockauto for $40 I believe as the 2009 6 bolt fan. Some have also considered setting up a controller to send it say a 50% duty cycle signal at one temp, then a full on signal to make it more progressive than just an on off setup.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/EXPRESS-VAN...ash=item23608352be:g:VLIAAOSwJkJWj34e&vxp=mtr

Ferman or any one else, GM left some pin connections in the C1 connector on the LBZ/LMM 2500-3500HD trucks unused. The Kodiak LMM trucks use them for the electrically engaged fan clutches. How would these be wired to use this type of clutch. I'll make it through the remaining summer but like the alternator I just installed the fan clutch's life is limited.

Anyone have a 2008-2010 Kodiak tune to check if the fan parameters are in the EFI tuning.

https://www.gmupfitter.com/pdflists/view/9

Page C-16 pin number 4-28-45

https://www.gmupfitter.com/files/media/photo/192/2008_MD_Electrical.pdf

Edit: Can't get a tape measure across the fan on my truck, anyone know the size of it..?

Last edited:

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Did the hayden quit as well? Has he noticed a difference with the kennedy clutch? My ac used to work pretty good at an idle, then the clutch died, replaced it and not even a 1000 miles later and the new ones dead. Hoping the kennedy takes care of it as its to hot out for no ac idling.

i have the hayden 2886 on my truck, his truck had the 100% stock LMM fan from 2010 (his truck is a 2010). i dont believe mine is failing but i dont think its locking up as hard as it should be, i can tell the potential is there so im trying a fully locked clutch on our next trip. There were two issues on his. 1, couple years ago i told him to remove/cut the fan cage and trash it thinking it wouldnt do much for cooling. he removed it/cut it off cause he had to change some ilder pulleys and didnt have a tool to get the fan clutch off. Since then ive learned how vital it is out in the heat and didnt realize it was gone from his truck till he showed up, then it dawned on me what i told him.

second was the thermostats that were put in it when he had all the hoses replaced were most likely not "fail safe" ones and i feel he has one sticking shut.

So, that said, after installing the clutch and not changing anything else i previously mentioned, we went on a drive to see how it would do. he said its running cooler and you can hear the fan more than you could before. also said the a/c isnt getting hot at idle like it use to. So the clutch for sure helped but we are waiting till the rear fan shroud comes in so i can install it. he just did the thermostats after he got home too with some good fail safe ones. true test is over the 19th when he drags his 21ft trailer up with us to go camping. last trip his was getting just as hot as mine was and i have twice the weight and power.

malibu795

misspeelleerr
Apr 28, 2007
in the buckeye state
Ive been making said statement since September 2012 shortly after i got my LMM swapped a Hayden 2886 in left the rear shroud off cause i was "told" i didnt need it
. It lasted 5 miles like that and i put it back on..

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Ive been making said statement since September 2012 shortly after i got my LMM swapped a Hayden 2886 in left the rear shroud off cause i was "told" i didnt need it
. It lasted 5 miles like that and i put it back on..

i know you left it off not long ago during one of the engine swaps. cant remember why but we were talking about it and you were telling me how much higher coolant temp was running from it. ill have to go back through our FB messages about it. my memory sucks

EDIT: yup, christmas eve last year we were talking about you leaving that rear shroud off after the swap and trans temp went up 25*, eot, ect, and so on were running 20-30* higher than normal with it on. hell of a difference with and without it

malibu795

misspeelleerr
Apr 28, 2007
in the buckeye state
Lb7/lly block dont have the bosses for the lower brackets... And i had no way at the tine to make them....
Ive since made brakets
At the time fkeece didn't know the difference in the blocks.... When I was there to get my new cam keyed got the run down... And they are all marked now

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
Got the kennedy fan clutch in today, and it is IDENTICAL to my old hayden fan clutch. There is NO doubt that it's a hayden fan clutch, wether the spring is different or not or if the innards are different would require work I'm mot willing to do, but from the outside there is no differences between them at all.

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Got the kennedy fan clutch in today, and it is IDENTICAL to my old hayden fan clutch. There is NO doubt that it's a hayden fan clutch, wether the spring is different or not or if the innards are different would require work I'm mot willing to do, but from the outside there is no differences between them at all.

interesting....

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
I'll find out next month when I go to Disney with the travel trailer. I hope it's different than a stock hayden as I was never really happy with it before. Would have prefferred the fan come on around 215-220 instead of 225-230 at 70. I know my smal grille opening doesn't help things either. Wish the all electric clutch would get finished up here soon.

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
Looking at the hayden and kennedy's clutches side by side they look basically identical. They both have the same fins, same casting bumps, same everything. But on closer inspection I did find some subtle differences between them. The bi metal spring on both is 5 wraps, but the hayden severe duty stock replacement is .055 thick in the actual coil portion of it whereas the kennedy spring is only .046. The 2nd noticeable difference I could find is how far the actual engagement shaft has to turn on each one before it is at full engagement. The hayden has to rotate the shaft roughly 40 degrees before it stops turning, but the kennedy only rotates roughly 30 degrees. The final difference is just by feel, but I put a small screwdriver into the little bit of open slotted shaft in the engagement shaft and tried to rotate them. The hayden clutch wouldn't budge at all with that thicker stiff spring, but the kennedy clutch could be turned with just a good twist. I know it's no real diffinitive test/comparison, but it's all I can do just by comparing them on the bench. Conclusion, the kennedy clutch is made by hayden, BUT it IS in fact a special calibration made for him. Will get it on once my radiator gets here and I figure out how to hook up my trans cooler lines(and I want to get the POS murray back to o reillys as that sucker just free wheels now with less than 2K miles on it).

Attachments

• 0810162306.jpg
    0810162306.jpg
    151.9 KB · Views: 64
  • 0810162307.jpg
    0810162307.jpg
    151 KB · Views: 66
  • 0810162310.jpg
    0810162310.jpg
    134.7 KB · Views: 67

c20elephant

C20ELEPHANT
Apr 25, 2013
Phoenix, Arizona
Ferman, I noticed the pictures James posted earlier had a patent number, is the patent number the same on the 2 you have.?
=
7c57fb68256bb3dde28f049e66bba683.jpg

=
=
=

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
Ferman, I noticed the pictures James posted earlier had a patent number, is the patent number the same on the 2 you have.?
=
7c57fb68256bb3dde28f049e66bba683.jpg

=
=
=

Sorry bout takin so long. Looked at them today, and my old hayden has no patent number on it, but the murray from oreillys did, and it's the same as kenndy's. In fact, the only noticeable differences from the kennedy and the murray is the murray has a number stamped on it, the spring, and the amount the engagement shaft rotates. Otherwise they have every same casting mark on the 2 of them.

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
Finally went out and towed with the new fan clutch this weekend, and I am VERY happy. My last trip running 70 on interstate in 95 degree temps with the A/C blasting I was running right around 215-220 engine temps. Ambient temps were only 90-92 this time, but temps never got to 210 this time. The fan came in 2 times on me, both times when the needle was just touching 210, but it never hit 210. Running on flat interstate though, it stayed solid at 205 and just held there whereas before it would have kept creeping up to 215-220 before both stats fully opened and it leveled off. So yes the Kennedy clutch is more money, but seems to be WELL worth the investment. I HATE having to let out of the go pedal because of overheating, hated it even more that it was overheating because a fan clutch crapped out with less than a 1K miles on it.

c20elephant

C20ELEPHANT
Apr 25, 2013
Phoenix, Arizona
Ferman, thanks for the feedback, when I dig into to replace the remaining hoses including that little one just above the harmonic balancer the Kennedy clutch fan will be the way to go.

I did find this while perusing the GM manuals for my truck pertaining full open on the thermostats at 230 degrees. I've seen you post it a few times in the past and never doubted you although some might question it....
=
=
15819g4.jpg

=
=

OregonDMAX

NOT IN OREGON, NO DURAMAX
Apr 28, 2013
Goodyear, AZ
I did find this while perusing the GM manuals for my truck pertaining full open on the thermostats at 230 degrees. I've seen you post it a few times in the past and never doubted you although some might question it....
15819g4.jpg

If that's even remotely true then I need low temp thermostats I've been chasing weird high temps for a while I didn't even think of that.

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
Yep, rear stat starts opening at 180, front stat at 185, front stat closes the bypass at 212, but they don't both go full open until 230 according to the general. Quite the temp swing for a set of stats. I know I was seeing 215-220 for hours on end towing last time whereas normally I didn't see more than 205-210. When I was going up an 8% grade and had to let out because the temps hit 240 and the fan was still out to lunch, that was a problem. Now I couldn't even touch 210 with the KENENDY clutch, so thats a HUGE improvement.