Hayden Fan Clutch

dmax_ty

Aug 18, 2011
Utah
Bumping this up. Dealing with an 03 that is running hot. T-stats are getting replaced and I think the stock fan clutch is shot too. Will the 2886 work or should I stick with the replacement number Hayden provides?

IOWA LLY

Yes, its really me
Feb 23, 2007
I just put the 2886 on my 05 (LLY) should work fine on your LB7.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
My hayden with 70k miles on it died on my trip last month(always fun sitting in a parking lot in bfe alabama swapping one out because you hit 235 withno fan even attempting to come on). Replaced it with a murray from oreillys(all I could find in bfe alabama where I was). It appears to be a repackaged hayden right down to the 2843 part number. This POS made it about 500 miles and hasn't engaged since. Even hit 240 doing 50 up a 8% grade, and no attempt from the fan when the day before had it roaring away at 215. Less than impressed with hayden right now, plan on a borg warner from kennedy next go round.

c20elephant

C20ELEPHANT
Apr 25, 2013
Phoenix, Arizona
Ferman, I had one of those Murray clutches sent to Oreillys local to me, I don't recall any numbers stamped on but do recall it was made in the USA. Last resort after reading about yours it's either the dealer ACDelco or Borg-Warner from Kennedy.

If you do purchase one from Kennedy post some pictures of it. I spent several hours looking for a Borg-Warner for my 2006 to no avail. Sucks to hear about your trip gone to crap...

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
Trip was fine, just had to play it safe on the grades. I went with the speed up to force more air through the stack approach. Only hit 240 the one time, and I probably should have slowed down as I was passing powerstrokes left and right that were pulling smaller travel trailers than I was.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
i have everything running tip top and still cant keep the coolant temp off 240* up hills :roflmao:

i got some changes to do. that said, my 2886 from amazon is still kickin. i have my old stock one as it still worked fine come to find out.

has anyone ever noticed that the fan runs at 2 different speeds when you get into the high RPMs? you really notice it on hot days towing and headed down a grade with the a/c on. its like it kicks up a speed, then down a speed depending on the temp coming through the cooling stack. my stock fan and this clutch do it.

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
Viscous fan clutches do engage at different rates depending on the temp of the coil. Good fan clutches engage completely variably where cheaper clutches engage more on or off. I used to run alot of JEEP XJ's, and when you work them, they get warm even with the electric fan roaring away. The afetrmarket fan clutches tended to just engage either on or off whereas teh stock AC DELCO clutches would gradually come in and gradually disengage. Noticed the same on other vehicles as well. I plan on going with the BORG WARNER from KENNEDY at this point in time. I was actually holding out for ther electric one, but he still hasn't finalized it, and I need something soon as my MURRAY from O reillys doesn't even engage cold now with less than 1500 miles on it:mad:.

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Viscous fan clutches do engage at different rates depending on the temp of the coil. Good fan clutches engage completely variably where cheaper clutches engage more on or off. I used to run alot of JEEP XJ's, and when you work them, they get warm even with the electric fan roaring away. The afetrmarket fan clutches tended to just engage either on or off whereas teh stock AC DELCO clutches would gradually come in and gradually disengage. Noticed the same on other vehicles as well. I plan on going with the BORG WARNER from KENNEDY at this point in time. I was actually holding out for ther electric one, but he still hasn't finalized it, and I need something soon as my MURRAY from O reillys doesn't even engage cold now with less than 1500 miles on it:mad:.

This engages the exact same as my stock clutch did with 190k on it and does the same change in speeds like my stocker, it just comes on much sooner. I'd really like to stay on at the higher rate.

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
You could always swap in an EV fan clutch from a van, and try out one of the hayden ev controllers. Then you could control when and how it engages.

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
You could always swap in an EV fan clutch from a van, and try out one of the hayden ev controllers. Then you could control when and how it engages.

Got some links ferm?

I have thought about drilling and tapping my old stock clutch to permanently lock it up as a test to see if I actually gain anything from it.

Think the fan will hold up?

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013
Got some links ferm?

I have thought about drilling and tapping my old stock clutch to permanently lock it up as a test to see if I actually gain anything from it.

Think the fan will hold up?

James I have a locked up fan clutch your more than welcome to.. Stays in full lockup all the time.. Annoying as hell

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
James I have a locked up fan clutch your more than welcome to.. Stays in full lockup all the time.. Annoying as hell

if i cant physically lock this one for some odd reason, ill take you up on that corbin. thanks :hug:

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
Starting around 08/09, the EXPRESS vans and KODIAK's with the DURAMAX went to the VISCTRONIC or EV fan clutches that were electrically instead of thermally controlled. Pickups didn't until 2011. The LML from what has been found uses a 25 or 26 inch fan blade, but the van appears to use a 21" blade just like the 01-05 trucks used. I was wrong about who made the controller, but BORG WARNER has an add on one, or you can wire it up to an on off so it's either unlocked or fully engaged as several have tried this and found it works. The fan blades can be bought on rockauto for $40 I believe as the 2009 6 bolt fan. Some have also considered setting up a controller to send it say a 50% duty cycle signal at one temp, then a full on signal to make it more progressive than just an on off setup.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/EXPRESS-VAN...ash=item23608352be:g:VLIAAOSwJkJWj34e&vxp=mtr

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Had my brother pick up a Kennedy fan clutch for us to install on his lmm tomorrow. I'll grab some pics if I remember lol.

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
Had my brother pick up a Kennedy fan clutch for us to install on his lmm tomorrow. I'll grab some pics if I remember lol.
I've got mine on order now for my LB7. Not messing around with anymore HAYDEN's here. Now I gotta figure out how to hook up my trans cooler lines to a new radiator since they changed the fittings on the replacements now.

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Pictures. Not a part number on the Kennedy clutch but there is a significant difference between the two

b67590780b9eb0aeda2bd989cc0c8f13.jpg

7c57fb68256bb3dde28f049e66bba683.jpg

2f3b7a4561de9d75393d888252aefe74.jpg

Kennedy clutch is the shinny one lol

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
No, factory LMM.

We put a new one on my brothers LMM as he was having over heating issues and a/c cutting out (stock one died).

Did the hayden quit as well? Has he noticed a difference with the kennedy clutch? My ac used to work pretty good at an idle, then the clutch died, replaced it and not even a 1000 miles later and the new ones dead. Hoping the kennedy takes care of it as its to hot out for no ac idling.