Info: GM to bring back diesel powered car!!!!!

Diesel Pilot

Hat? Suitcase? 50 BMG?
Aug 9, 2006
Pickerington, OH
http://www.autoblog.com/2011/02/21/report-diesel-chevrolet-cruze-confirmed-for-u-s/

According to the crew at GMInsideNews, General Motors is mulling the notion of introducing a diesel Chevrolet Cruze to the American market. Sources within the Lordstown, Ohio assembly plant responsible for piecing the compact sedan together have confirmed that a diesel Cruze will be built for 2013. If that's not enough to wipe the stink of skepticism off your person, GMI says that additional sources within The General's engineering team have confirmed that an oil-burning Cruze is on the company's schedule.

Production is rumored to kick off on the project at some point next year.

There's even rumor that GM is currently testing diesel Cruze models around the greater Detroit area right now. While no power or fuel economy numbers are available at the moment, GM is expected to make use of a 2.0-liter turbocharged four-cylinder engine for the new model. That would be the same lump found in the Holden Cruze CDX, which turns out 147 horsepower and 235 pound-feet of torque with up to 34 miles per gallon combined.

Hopefully, this doesn't end up like the much hyped 4.5L Duramax that was to be the savior of the SUV and half-ton market. I'm happy VW finally will have some competition in this market. Competition is good for the consumer. Don't be surprised if the Blue Oval brings one of their diesel Fiesta-Focus-Festiva's from across the pond to compete as well.

I'll definitely be first in line at the dealer to see how the Cruze will stack up against my VW when/if they do hit the showroom floors.

jheyob

Jan 30, 2009
Okeana OH/West Lafayette IN
I'm happy VW finally will have some competition in this market. Competition is good for the consumer.

I'll definitely be first in line at the dealer to see how the Cruze will stack up against my VW when/if they do hit the showroom floors.

X2...

I've been pretty disappointed with the quality of my gf's mk5 Jetta. Car has 90k on it and it's already on it's 3rd flywheel (known problem, no working solution from VW in 3 flywheel redesigns), ice accumulation from behind the door bent and chipped a square inch of paint off the front passenger door like 2 weeks ago (known problem, no working solution from VW), the turbo vanes are sticking already (it's whatever)...I'm just waiting for the camshaft to finally wear out completely (another known problem w/o a working solution from VW).

Even though it's comfortable and overall nice to drive I'd still like to see how a cruze would stack up next to it in the long haul :)

Smokum

May 21, 2010
I love the idea, but 34 mpg is weak sauce. You can get better fuel milage in a gas for less money as diesel costs more than gas. My buddy has an '02 Jetta and he knocks down 50-52 mpg hand calc. driving interstate. I realize the newer Jetta's are getting worse fuel economy, but I would expect better mpg to make it worth while. Just my $.02.

Oct 16, 2008
Idaho
I love the idea, but 34 mpg is weak sauce. You can get better fuel milage in a gas for less money as diesel costs more than gas. My buddy has an '02 Jetta and he knocks down 50-52 mpg hand calc. driving interstate. I realize the newer Jetta's are getting worse fuel economy, but I would expect better mpg to make it worth while. Just my $.02.

I have to agree 34MPG leaves a bit to be desired. My Mom got a 2010 Jetta last year and it still knocks down 45-47mpg highway.

duramax3388

May 22, 2008
Zanesville Ohio
It did say 34 combine highway and city driving and you know that they never get it right to start out with. Can't wait wife just said that that will be her next car.

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
If it is really getting a 147HP diesel, 34mpg combined in a 4-door is not really that bad. That's about the highway mileage on a 2011 Toyota Corolla, but the Cruze is larger with a more powerful engine.

Economy cars are getting bigger every year. To get exceptional mileage, you need a smaller car, a lighter car, and less HP. But nobody in the US wants that.