Frame distorsion.

MaxFarmer

<--Heavy Smoker
Jan 22, 2007
Albion, Nebraska
My shaft hit my NSBU nut with a 6" lift! I cant find where I posted on it right now, I think it was in my tranny rebuild thread...anyway.... I did the same as Eric when I had everything loose I did a bunch of shoving and prying to try and get things lined up the best I could tell and then tightened the hell out of everything. So far, it hasnt hit since then but I have not checked since my last debacle (broke off driveshaft then broke front PS half shaft (thank god for E-locker also!)). I really think the last time it hit the nut was when I was doing that stupid 4-lo boosted launch on gravel and snapped the P.S. half shaft, really tweaked some stuff out of position!
I have not done anything to my motor mounts but really suspect that that could be part of my problem. Its one of this winter's projects.......

ecc_33

Aug 10, 2006
Amanda, Ohio
Kurt, stop trying to get your post counts up:rolleyes: Anyways the advanced axle shaft didnt last. I installed it sunday. Took it to the store yesterday which is 3 miles away. Went to my cousins house which is 2 miles away from the store. Loaded the truck on the trailer and went to the london truck pull. Got the truck off the trailer and installed the weight on the nose, put in 4lo. Went to the scales and while going up to the scales i turned on the e-locker and then boom dropped the same new half shaft at about .5mph....im lost

Tacojedbob7

<====Ron Jeremy
Nov 25, 2007
Exhaust manifold/up-pipe bolt. The bottom hole has to be drilled. If you go that route use either solid eye bolts or weld the eye where it wraps around back into itself (if you know what I mean). The torque of the motor trying to roll will stretch the eye bolt open and make the whole setup useless.

I was gonna say...those turn buckles are pretty chintsy... not only are the eyes weak but the actual turn body is thin cast.

IdahoRob

Jun 5, 2007
I was gonna say...those turn buckles are pretty chintsy... not only are the eyes weak but the actual turn body is thin cast.

That was a supposed to be a quick fix before a big race. Turned out the thing is still bolted up and working fine after a full racing season. I agree that the turn buckle is a cheap cast one, and I'll loook for a better option this winter, but still holding well. The engine rock is minimal now and no sign of the engine hitting the shaft.

Tacojedbob7

<====Ron Jeremy
Nov 25, 2007
dont worry im not judging at all; we used the same one on ben's twin kit instead of brace w/hiems because his used kit was missing it. Home depot special. I believe its still holding up great, just didn't think it would work for holding an engine down. its only temporary until it fails:D

Tacojedbob7

<====Ron Jeremy
Nov 25, 2007
well i just looked and my driveshaft hits as well...with a Cognito 4-6"

no passes at the track since the install of the lift and never sled pulled, only a couple of boosted launches.

$Smokin_Duradog$

Sep 16, 2006
Goshen, IN
I have an 8" Fabtech lift and I noticed this same problem with the front driveshaft rubbing the bolt on the tranny. Must have happened when I used to pull with the 38's before I got a tranny and EFI Live:rofl: Now I just hook truck to truck on pavement and always seem to either sheer the outer tie rod ends off in the nuckle or pull them right out of their socket!

durallymax

Apr 26, 2008
Under The Hood
I just finally looked and noticed how close that shjaft really is. Mine deosnt show signs of hitting anything yet. But Ill check it out this winter. and square everything up.

ecc_33

Aug 10, 2006
Amanda, Ohio
called tough country and they want 500 dollars for the subframe and the half moon shaped diff mount. Im in the process of bracing/fabing up some stuff right now and will get pics up as soon as time allows. I have a ton of work to do before saturday so bare with me

racinmike77

Sep 14, 2008
MD
you know what I tried to do a boosted launch and ended up sitting in neutral, I would bet the drive shaft bounced off that sucker and popped her right out of gear.

after reading the rest of the thread, im saying that mine hits at stock height on a heavily boosted launch.

Last edited:

juddski88

Freedom Diesel
Jul 1, 2008
Chesterfield, Mass.
for those with lifts...are your lifts a "one-piece" kit?? (one piece front cross members) i do not have any rubbing yet, but because i have to take my road armor bumper off for club pulls, i have noticed that putting it back on is difficult because the holes don't align perfectly....i am assuming the frame slightly twists because the bumper is solid and stops the twisting. when i have it on and am beating on it, i don't think any amount of engine torque could bent or twist that bumper.

MaxFarmer

<--Heavy Smoker
Jan 22, 2007
Albion, Nebraska
I'd say this is a one piece. It also already has what Steve and you guys are trying to accomplish (I think). These are the best pics I can find, I musta took them last winter on the last tranny rebuild.

Attachments

• IMG_0418 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_0418 (Medium).JPG
    84.7 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_0416 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_0416 (Medium).JPG
    84.8 KB · Views: 49