Frame distorsion.

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
Also I must say that mine has NOT touched......yet
You may not, it seems the 4" lines the driveshaft up perfectly to hit.
The "train" never did it before the lift & I haven't noticed the "higher" lifts doing it HOWEVER the "higher" lifted trucks are not getting as much HP hooked up either

I will see if I can change this next year!:D

02freighttrain

Team Salad Bartender
Aug 13, 2006
sootville, Fl
I still say, it is the frame that is flexing. The diff is bolted to the frame. If you can spend some time studying how the way everything is attached and the way forces are applied, I think it will be conclusive, that the frame is flexing.

All I know for sure is the bar eliminates contact and the driveshaft and the front steering geometry (toe-in) seemed to be greatly improved with this fix.

When the frame flex's the steering does funny things. Especially when the front end is digging hard (i.e., Loading and unloading near the end of the pull)

ecc_33

Aug 10, 2006
Amanda, Ohio
I have been running this bar that i made just like others and have had no luck at all with it. I am not bashing but it just hasnt fixed anything for me. Not saying that its not helping but I did end up puting a 1/2 inch grade 8 bolt through my driverside motor mount to make a "semi solid" mount. That did take care of the front drive shaft hitting the tranny but now i got a bigger problem. The damn half shaft flange on the drivers side is coming back and hitting the lower a arm bolt. I am stumped on a way to fix this problem at this time. Nothing is bent with the lift or has been wrecked but it seems to be getting worse:mad:

bullfrogjohnson

Big Girl!
Nov 20, 2006
Locust, NC
I have my first pull this next weekend with the 4" tc lift so I am going to keep an eye out on all of these issues.

I dont know about yalls but I have the newer design "Strong" Kit and maybe the newer design will help:confused:

TNRGreene

Kicked to the Curb
Sep 2, 2006
Bradenton, Florida
Question #1- How many do not have a lift and still encounter this?
Question #2- For Travis, can you tell me how the front diff is mounted.
Question #3- For Eric, Lower a arm bolt is what you say. The top bolt is good? What are your TB bolts set at & how much weight are you hanging?

There are 4 different things that would cause this contact at that point. As I said before we could see & see the evidence of the motor torquing with the tailshaft moving toward the DS.

maddogg101920

I break stuff
Mar 2, 2007
CECIL COUNTY, MD
the more i read this the more i think its the lifts, i check mine constantly no marks on anything from contact under the truck and ive over 20 pulls on the truck.

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
Everyone that has had this problem that is lifted has it with either the green keys and/or a 4" lift. Like Todd said, are the stock height guys or the 6" lift guys having this issue as well?

JOHNBOY

< Rocking the Big Single!
Aug 30, 2006
Saegertown, Pa
Question #1- How many do not have a lift and still encounter this?No lift torsion bar keys stock, screws completely out. The yoke on the diff was chewing on the motor plate again last night.
Question #2- For Travis, can you tell me how the front diff is mounted.
Question #3- For Eric, Lower a arm bolt is what you say. The top bolt is good? What are your TB bolts set at & how much weight are you hanging?

There are 4 different things that would cause this contact at that point. As I said before we could see & see the evidence of the motor torquing with the tailshaft moving toward the DS.

My motor mounts are bolted and I actually made it worse in my opinion. Either the diff is twisting or the trans and t-case are swinging over in my way of thinking.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
My motor mounts are bolted and I actually made it worse in my opinion. Either the diff is twisting or the trans and t-case are swinging over in my way of thinking.
I had the same problem on my truck, but when I chained the motor on the driver's side it fixed my problem.

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
I had the same problem on my truck, but when I chained the motor on the driver's side it fixed my problem.

Was this chain a permanent thing Josh?
Do you have any pics?

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
Was this chain a permanent thing Josh?
Do you have any pics?
It can easily be removed, but I am not going to take it off my truck. I got the idea from IdahoRob. I don't have a picture of it on my truck, but here's one Rob posted on DP.

attachment.php

Attachments

• cable.jpg
    cable.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 110

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
Well that looks simple enough.
What did you bolt to on the engine?

Bluemax

???????????
Sep 25, 2006
Missouri
I have somewhere around 30-40 hooks on mine with a 4in. lift and so far nothing hitting anywhere that I can find yet. Not enough power I guess.:dontknow:

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
Well that looks simple enough.
What did you bolt to on the engine?
Exhaust manifold/up-pipe bolt. The bottom hole has to be drilled. If you go that route use either solid eye bolts or weld the eye where it wraps around back into itself (if you know what I mean). The torque of the motor trying to roll will stretch the eye bolt open and make the whole setup useless.

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
Yup I understand now. Another mod added to the list!:D Thanks!

Sorry about the :hijacked: thread folks:)

ecc_33

Aug 10, 2006
Amanda, Ohio
Yea it happened again last night. I think im going to take the pan hard bar completely out and see what happens. All mounts on the lift and diff are good. The a-arm bolts are installed correctly and are good. Since I have been running 35's on 16x10 rims I do have the torsion bars cranked in about 4 turns or so. But nothing major with absolutely zero tow in or funky front end dancing. I do also hang 1000 pounds offset to the drivers side alittle