First aluminum duramax rod!!

Diesel power

Jun 2, 2008
maryland
the LB7, LLY pistons area made to run rights and lefts because there is a .030 offset on the piston wrist pin, On the factory LBZ pistons there is no right or left piston to worry about.

The LBZ rods are ambidextrious. each one will work eaither way. and i just took pics and sent them to paul showing a offset on the big end of the rod instead of the small end, that makes sence now. :hug:

Diesel power

Jun 2, 2008
maryland
Please elaborate on the "less harmonics" and "less noise" statements.

harmonics can creat a audiable noise in a high performance engine, and aluminum absorbs sound much better than steel,by absorbing impact transfer to the crank hence lessening harmonics/sound/ and wear, while increaseing HP.

Most engine builders will agree aluminum rods are good for these things:

Weight reduction

Harmonic reduction

less teardown due to bearing wear---less harmonics

absorbing impact much better than steel, hence lessening the noise of combustion

Diesel power

Jun 2, 2008
maryland
Also rod stretch is caused by rpm, not power. Almost all rods that break from elongation break on the exhaust stroke. Most of us dont spin our motors hard enough to do this so that is why we see our rods shorten from cyl pressure. Although my personal choice would have been Titanium 6al 4v I am interested to see how long Al will last.
Correct,
Ti would have been nice too, but the cost is crazy i was quoted $7500 a set after a 15 set build!! thats a 115K buy in :eek: so i tryed....but Ti would have been sweet.

Jun 28, 2007
NE Pa
I should correct myself. When I said the small end was offset, I didnt mean that the step was up there. Not really sure why I even said small end:eek: On a buick rod the offset it just above the big end. Although the D-Max does look to be a off-center motor there is just more material on one side of the big end to make the offset. Doesn't look like there is a transistion in the beam itself.

Jun 28, 2007
NE Pa
harmonics can creat a audiable noise in a high performance engine, and aluminum absorbs sound much better than steel,by absorbing impact transfer to the crank hence lessening harmonics/sound/ and wear, while increaseing HP.

Most engine builders will agree aluminum rods are good for these things:

Weight reduction

Harmonic reduction

less teardown due to bearing wear---less harmonics

absorbing impact much better than steel, hence lessening the noise of combustion

I agree with this statement. But this is because they "flex" a little. It is also common for bearings to last longer with Al rods (as long as the big end remains round) but the rods don't last as long. Not trying to flame about flex....just that its the reason they do the above quoted things.....kind of like the difference between firing a pistol with your elbow locked or with it slightly bent:D

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
The LBZ rods are ambidextrious. each one will work eaither way. and i just took pics and sent them to paul showing a offset on the big end of the rod instead of the small end, that makes sence now. :hug:
I was told the rods were interchangeable. You can use an LBZ rod with an LB7 piston and vice-versa. Now I'm more confused.

Trippin

SoCal Diesel
Aug 10, 2006
Wow! Impressive.

Wish I would have thought of that. :rolleyes:

Can't wait to see the rest of the build. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

RPM Motorsports

smokinum
May 13, 2008
Central Valley Ca.
Pictures of a stock rod for those wondering about offset. the centerline of the rod itself is not offset (Pin to big end), There is a difference on one side of the rod (Crank side). The rod has a chamfer/fillet, and that is the side that is closest to the crank. It is extended out further then the other side, but not making the rod itself offset. The rod bearing still sit's centerline with the pin end.

Last edited:
Jun 28, 2007
NE Pa
Although I doubt any of the heavy hitters will learn anything from this thread I think there is a lot of good tech for the average guy. Heck I just learned that our motors are off center.
Posted via Mobile Device

dmaxvaz

wannabe puller
Nov 22, 2006
METRO DETROIT
wow! Impressive.

Wish i would have thought of that. :rolleyes:

Can't wait to see the rest of the build. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

i remember 2 years ago at merchants spring fling- i talked to you about aluminum rods and you told me it wouldnt work because we have to spin a 80 lb converter. Care to discuss it now? I think that the engine will rev up alot faster and more rpms are to be had.

Jun 28, 2007
NE Pa
i remember 2 years ago at merchants spring fling- i talked to you about aluminum rods and you told me it wouldnt work because we have to spin a 80 lb converter. Care to discuss it now? I think that the engine will rev up alot faster and more rpms are to be had.
keep in mind the motor these rods are going in isn't going to have a converter ;-)
Posted via Mobile Device

RPM Motorsports

smokinum
May 13, 2008
Central Valley Ca.
Wade say's!

"ill post pics of the progress as it comes together on dmax central, but to answer it's still in the chassis shop getting the ---> linco <--- mounts put in. and a few other goodies. Should be up and race ready some time in may. Engine and all!"

Last edited: