Failed inspection

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
Buyer will be made aware that it will not pass ma inspection and it will be their responsibility to fix it

i dont know the laws of your state but in california the seller/owner is responsible for smog. even on an as-is. only way to get around it that i know of is to sell it non-op/for parts only.

may want to look into the laws a little more closely to see if there is similar language.

good luck

Ridin'GMC

I like red
May 20, 2010
MA
YEa. Every time I've gotten it inspected they plug it in Not sure why.

If you're saying they plugged it in by OBD2, then that's right. All inspection station are required to plug the car in to check for emission related codes that may be in the history or active in the ECM. A bad tune can cause it to trigger a red flag.

oscyjack

May 7, 2016
Northeast
OP an lbz should pass no prob with cat only. Need 1 monitor to read ready and only 1 allowed not ready. Til October when we get a new system and then we're all screwed.

Check your mfd date, if it's ,07 or before you're good to go on technicality for the test entirely. The MAC place is a disaster for us.

Go in on your lower tunes if you reinspect with the cat on

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
Well. I went to a dealer yesterday. They offered me 6500$. Hahah. Needless to say. I didn't accept. Thinking about just trying to sell it around here. Maybe trying another dealer.
It's an 07 lbz. With 6" lift. 35s S475/stock. Built trans with 140,000 miles. It's in decent shape. I never take it off roading. No rot on the body,frame has some surface rust.
Any ideas on what to ask. NADA puts it between 15,000-18000 for trade in. 22,000 private sale. I'm thinking of asking 20,000 if I try to sell it around here Any thoughts? I'm in eastern mass/ cape cod. Buyer will be made aware that it will not pass ma inspection and it will be their responsibility to fix it. truck will come with original parts to take the liftout if they want. Leaf springs and anything else along with stock exhaust
Thanks

Fyi, theres a thread here from a few years ago where somebody did just this. The buyer bought it, but went to a state that did emissions, truck obviously failed, but the kicker was the state came after the seller AND MADE HIM BRING IT BACK TO COMPLIANT! So don't think selling it is a way out unless you have it marked with your dmv as non compliant which destroys the resale value basically making it a salvage vehicle. Hence why the dealer offerred you so little as they know they have to bring it back to compliance to do anything with it.

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Im sure Evan or another shop has that stuff in their recycle bin.

Hell, just put up a "wanted" ad for the parts...Id bet you could get most of it for the cost of shipping.

Last edited:

lowslowlb7

Sep 9, 2016
western mass
It sucks that shop failed you. I spoke with the guy who inspects my truck and he says with the 07s they have to check the vin to see if its a lbz. If its an lbz no emissions. So none of that should have ever came up.

Now that the state has to inspect it, its hard to say what they will be looking for.

You get a cool guy who knows that truck doesn't get plugged in and maybe youll be fine.

Or get a guy whos having a bad day and they hit you for egr, cat, muffler, lift, tires sticking out, and lose steering or rear axle seal leakage, and any rust.

I wouldn't sell the truck. Craigslist could get you everything you would need to pass and you wont lose your shirt. I would fix what you can easily on the truck and have them inspect it and have them make a list of what it needs. get that guys info on what days he works. fix that and go back while hes there. And nect yr go to a shop who knows a lbz doesn't get scanned.

Good luck.

Ridin'GMC

I like red
May 20, 2010
MA
As far I know after talking to my inspection buddies, 07 classic and older does not require a emission test. Your inspection station screwed up, you'll have to go to the DMV and get it straightened out. LMM and newer requires emission testing. Don't sell it since it's flagged, nobody in MA would buy one. I had a buddy who had his car flagged, the only way he had to get rid of it was to part it out, it was too much hassle when he tried to get it back on the road.

bfmine

Sep 11, 2011
Cape cod,ma
Already have a buddy that made me the offer My delete pipe has also been modified to fit my DHD y bridge. Appreciate the offer tho