Failed inspection

bfmine

Sep 11, 2011
Cape cod,ma
Hey guys. Took the truck to get inspected the other day and it failed for emissions reasons. It automatically set u a red flag in the system from it. Not exactly sure why it failed. It's a 2007 classic. So it's for an lbz Truck has s475/stock so egr has been removed. Funny thing about ma is that 06and older don't have to get plugged in. So I'm not sure if the system is thinking it's an lmm and looking for dpf Last time I got it inspected was before the twins I think and was maybe 3 years ago. But passed with tuning and egr shut off. Anyways. My next step is to take the truck to a MAC MOTORIST ASSISTANCE CENTER and they have to take a look at it. So obviously I have no egr and no cat So I'm not sure what to do now. I have an email sent out to the DMV asking for clarification of emissions exempt vehicles One page on their site says mfg date before 07 is exempt and another page says older than model year 07 But I'm not really expecting any help from them.
So what do I do now?
Can't sell truck in state without it being able to pass inspection.
Try to sell out of state? Somewhere that would pass.
Trade it in and let it be a dealers problem?
Spend a bunch of time and money to get it "back to stock"
I don't even know where to start with an asking price
This state sucks. Any help will be much appreciated

bfmine

Sep 11, 2011
Cape cod,ma
Also forgot. I have 60 days to fix. If I don't. My registration can be revoked. I don't think they notify me if the revoke it. Reallly mot looking to get charged with driving unregistered vehicle

CentolaCCSB

It will probably break
Nov 2, 2015
Mass
I have an 06 i got inspected this past December with no issue. Straight pipe with egr blocked off. Im wondering if certain places will throw up a red flag more likely than others?

Madspeed

Fat Bastard
Mar 22, 2007
Elk Ridge Utah
failed im

WOW. anyways you should have the failed test to go by an they MUST provide you with the reason so you can fix it. Your kinda screwed. it plugs into obdll and looks for redynedd monitors completed. your egr isnt turned off. Its capped and set to run the egr tests at parameters that will never be. so the egr readiness monitor will not be ready. I have everything you need to make that truck stock INCL a cat egr down pipe and air box and im lurking for a twin kit for lbz lmm. Im a state inspector so I can do My own emissions when they finally do start testing diesels here. you need a buddy to at least pass the visual. I am sure u failed for tampering. LMK K got the shit u need

CentolaCCSB

It will probably break
Nov 2, 2015
Mass
I only suggested certain shops are likely to flag because around me i drove to 4 different shops all in the same town and each one said no i wont even look at it its too loud, drove 45 minutes south of me and had no issues so i wasnt sure if a town has alot of the same thing going on those shops are targeted frequently.. just what i was told atleast. Anyways idk shit about inspection laws so ill just keep quiet :popcorn:

Noreaster

Jun 13, 2007
Cape Cod,MA
It's cause it's a 07, it gets plugged in
If it was a 06 it wouldn't be an issue
Probably have to put an egr back in atleast to pass

Just wait till the live feed to the state system starts up here & they look around for emission components visually
Reason #1XXX why this state sucks more every year

Last edited:

Tothemax

xgmtech
Oct 16, 2014
new york
I have everything you need to go back to stock. bring it over and ill swap it all out just leave the twin kit with me. :D

p.s. sucks that your having trouble getting an inspection

gmduramax

Shits broke
Jun 12, 2008
Nor cal
WOW. anyways you should have the failed test to go by an they MUST provide you with the reason so you can fix it. Your kinda screwed. it plugs into obdll and looks for redynedd monitors completed. your egr isnt turned off. Its capped and set to run the egr tests at parameters that will never be. so the egr readiness monitor will not be ready. I have everything you need to make that truck stock INCL a cat egr down pipe and air box and im lurking for a twin kit for lbz lmm. Im a state inspector so I can do My own emissions when they finally do start testing diesels here. you need a buddy to at least pass the visual. I am sure u failed for tampering. LMK K got the shit u need

The only trucks I know that won't pass with an egr delete are the LB7 and LLY's unless I'm doing something wrong in the tune. LBZ and LMM's pass just fine

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
I know in Cali a couple of people failed because they had dsp5 tunes. When they hooked up the scanner, it read a custom OS and not a factory calibration number. They had to flash in a stock single tune file, disable the dtc's, drive it for 20 miles or so for the obd2 tests to run and say so, and then they got passed.

Madspeed

Fat Bastard
Mar 22, 2007
Elk Ridge Utah
Thank you dumbshit COALROLLERS. Dodge Dilberts have a lot to do with the crackdown on diesels as well as population forces it. I live in utard now (Im from Cali Socal) Man the amount of stupid little dickheads w tow mirrors out towing huge loads in the back (wink) and puking out black smoke and going NOWHERE is amazing. :mad:

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Cant you just go to another shop and try again? Could've been operator error.

Sorry, we dont have inspections here in Mich so I dont know otherwise.

gmduramax

Shits broke
Jun 12, 2008
Nor cal
I know in Cali a couple of people failed because they had dsp5 tunes. When they hooked up the scanner, it read a custom OS and not a factory calibration number. They had to flash in a stock single tune file, disable the dtc's, drive it for 20 miles or so for the obd2 tests to run and say so, and then they got passed.

DSP5 changes the calibration is the issue. Single tunes pass no problems.

Evan@InglewoodTrans

yerp
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 5, 2010
Western MA
Cant you just go to another shop and try again? Could've been operator error.

Sorry, we dont have inspections here in Mich so I dont know otherwise.

Unfortunately in MA random trucks coming up with anything not supported when plugged are red flagged to inspected by the state. I stopped doing any emmissions fixing last year due to this problem it's just not worth it. Some trucks get through some get red flagged.

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal

Weird, on my 04 LB7 i have a DSP 5 tune and no issue with passing smog

gassux

Mar 14, 2010
are these standards throughout the state? I know i can go to an upstate ny shop and get my truck a safety only inspection and x amount of days to get an emissions test in downstate ny that literally never expires. This is a loophole i was told about at my inspection certification course.