Duramax pioneer thread

SparkZ03DMAX

Nov 16, 2009
North Carolina
Digging this thread:hug:

Mine was a mixture of influences. I remember when I was 11-12 years old seeing the 01-02 HD trucks on commercials thinking that was the toughest looking truck ever made. Dad ended up getting a 01 8.1 ccsb in 2004, loved the truck. Then around 2008 he sold it and got a fully loaded 03 lb7 ccsb. Someone had already added Banks six gun on it and I was hooked when I started driving it and sold my Tacoma. I immediately signed on to Duramax Forum and this site. (Hence why my screen name has "03" instead of "01")

Along with the forums watching Buck, Fleece, and Idahorob on YouTube, I grew more and more eager to have a Duramax.

Finally got my 01 in February 2009. Rest is history. Also Bullfrog Travis was a inspiration, loved his truck and when I met him in Peachland NC he was extremely nice and let me explore under the hood.

I will say that my experiences with dmax711 (previous white devil owner) almost killed my passion in automotive altogether. Thanks to Olee Poole and Dustin and Rob at ATP, finally got the truck straightened out and I'm back to modding it more.

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
Speaking of Kennedy, back in 2005 when I started modding my 02 GMC I drove over to Montana near Missoula to compete in what The DieselPage was calling the 2005 pull off. Basically we were at this mountain pass (lost trails pass) on huighway 93 between Montana and Idaho. You started out about 5000' and climbed one mile up and 6.5% grade pulling a 10K trailer from a dead stop and to see how fast you could do it. I did it for two years, but they and done it at a different location in previous years but I only competed in 05 and 06. The fast trucks were limited to 0-60 mph in 06 because the speeds we were reaching and the fact it was illegal as hell. :D The state police also were made aware and so we cooled it. First year I rode with Kennedy and asked him what his EGT's were? He said he was afraid to look, I did and the gauge was buried at 2000 degrees. He use Nitrous in 06 which I thought was total BS, and did his pull the evening before the event was suppose to happen when it was much cooler. I also got a bum time from the organizer because I know my time was at least 2 seconds quicker then he recorded it. But Kennedy was a sponsor of the Diesel Page and I know he wanted him to win. Can't prove any of that but I dropped my membership after that event. If you haven't read the articles they are a flash back to earlier days when we stacked tuners etc. Also in 2006 I had the first set of production twin turbos on a LB7. I pulled the trailer the full mile anyway and could have easily hit 100mph but had to get out of it short of the finish line due to traffic. My EGT's on the twins only got to 1550 in that run. Nathan at MPI used my truck to build the jigs. John (Juice Grips) has the first proto type set but they were pretty hacked up looking.

http://www.thedieselpage.com/features/pulloff2005.htm

http://www.thedieselpage.com/features/pulloff2006c.htm

Small world Ken... I have run up and down that mountain thousands of times lol. I didn't know you guy's were racing up the Montana side. I ran up the Montana side in 2010 towing 10k ish with your old twins and stock trans, with a mild efi tune Reece built me. 1250 egt's and I had to get all over the binders at the top when the switch backs started:thumb: Been a believer in compounds ever since:D

I have to say getting beat by Verlon's silver LBZ when it was still in Alaska and belonged to rmk800ak started my quest for powa... I think it had a Diablo sport tuner and I ran a Supadips. I brought a knife to a machete fight:D

I got on DP first and instantly was drawn to this mouthy azzhole named McRat. Every time I got on there he was getting banned for this and that it seemed. Took me awhile to figure out where he went & then I found this little Gem called DD, thanks Pat you have been a huge influence on me and my wallet:hug:

Other notables in no particular order are, Mika, Reece (righteyeblind), Simon (sweetdiesel), Trent, Idaho Rob, Nathan at MPI, Ken (subman)

These guy's started me on my quest for destruction... Luckily the d-max gods have smiled upon me and I have had no major carnage to date, knock on wood. I watched the guy's pushing the limits and made notes:D

Max Attitude

11SIX
Mar 7, 2012
Caledonia, MI
Speaking of Kennedy, back in 2005 when I started modding my 02 GMC I drove over to Montana near Missoula to compete in what The DieselPage was calling the 2005 pull off. Basically we were at this mountain pass (lost trails pass) on huighway 93 between Montana and Idaho. You started out about 5000' and climbed one mile up and 6.5% grade pulling a 10K trailer from a dead stop and to see how fast you could do it. I did it for two years, but they and done it at a different location in previous years but I only competed in 05 and 06. The fast trucks were limited to 0-60 mph in 06 because the speeds we were reaching and the fact it was illegal as hell. :D The state police also were made aware and so we cooled it. First year I rode with Kennedy and asked him what his EGT's were? He said he was afraid to look, I did and the gauge was buried at 2000 degrees. He use Nitrous in 06 which I thought was total BS, and did his pull the evening before the event was suppose to happen when it was much cooler. I also got a bum time from the organizer because I know my time was at least 2 seconds quicker then he recorded it. But Kennedy was a sponsor of the Diesel Page and I know he wanted him to win. Can't prove any of that but I dropped my membership after that event. If you haven't read the articles they are a flash back to earlier days when we stacked tuners etc. Also in 2006 I had the first set of production twin turbos on a LB7. I pulled the trailer the full mile anyway and could have easily hit 100mph but had to get out of it short of the finish line due to traffic. My EGT's on the twins only got to 1550 in that run. Nathan at MPI used my truck to build the jigs. John (Juice Grips) has the first proto type set but they were pretty hacked up looking.

http://www.thedieselpage.com/features/pulloff2005.htm

http://www.thedieselpage.com/features/pulloff2006c.htm

Reading those links is kinda funny now days- "As you can tell by this and the lead-in photo, it takes big smoke to make big power!" :D

Darrell Moudry's had some major toe in.

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
Any of yall remember member coalbucket (name is Ken. Forgetting his last name ATM) on TDP? Circa about 2003-5? He had a 2003 reg cab zf6 truck that was dark charcoal colored. I believe he was the first person to break 500rwhp. I can't remember for sure but I think he did it with the bastard stack??

He is a KY guy is why I know of him.

IdahoRob

Jun 5, 2007
I'll list a few that changed the Duramax scene for all of us;

Guy Tripp @ Socal Diesel. He is the one that worked with EFI Live in the very beginning to bring the world of custom tuning to the Duramax world. He also brought his vast knowledge of cylinder heads and performance engine parts to help manufactures bring the aftermarket parts we know take for granted.

Nathan Wright. He took the leap into twin turbos for the Duramax even when some "experts" said that it wouldn't make over 500hp. He designed, installed and sold the first twin sets for our trucks. He came to me when I was running propane and N2O and stacked tuning on my LLY and sold me on twins even though there were not any real results to sell. It was the best thing I ever did to my truck.

Mike Lovrich. Along with Joe Webb they took the Allison to a whole new level which allowed the hot rodders to now handle this new found HP.

Steve Cole. He and I don't see eye to eye anymore but hard to not mention him. Very knowledgeable person when it comes to the theory of mechanics. He brought ECM custom tuning to the LB7 before anything else. Engine and tranny parts and knowledge on the common rail injection systems.

These guys stick in my head as the foundation of what we all enjoy today.

Here are some others that made an impact in my eyes, Eric Merchant, Clint Cannon, Brad Makinen, George Alexander, Opie, Kyle Michaels, Michael Tomac, Curtis Halverson, Fingers, Super Dave, and I'm sure I'm missing a bunch.

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
I'll list a few that changed the Duramax scene for all of us;

Guy Tripp @ Socal Diesel. He is the one that worked with EFI Live in the very beginning to bring the world of custom tuning to the Duramax world. He also brought his vast knowledge of cylinder heads and performance engine parts to help manufactures bring the aftermarket parts we know take for granted.

Nathan Wright. He took the leap into twin turbos for the Duramax even when some "experts" said that it wouldn't make over 500hp. He designed, installed and sold the first twin sets for our trucks. He came to me when I was running propane and N2O and stacked tuning on my LLY and sold me on twins even though there were not any real results to sell. It was the best thing I ever did to my truck.

Mike Lovrich. Along with Joe Webb they took the Allison to a whole new level which allowed the hot rodders to now handle this new found HP.

Steve Cole. He and I don't see eye to eye anymore but hard to not mention him. Very knowledgeable person when it comes to the theory of mechanics. He brought ECM custom tuning to the LB7 before anything else. Engine and tranny parts and knowledge on the common rail injection systems.

These guys stick in my head as the foundation of what we all enjoy today.

Here are some others that made an impact in my eyes, Eric Merchant, Clint Cannon, Brad Makinen, George Alexander, Opie, Kyle Michaels, Michael Tomac, Curtis Halverson, Fingers, Super Dave, and I'm sure I'm missing a bunch.

You forgot to mention yourself Rob.
You did a lot of pioneering in the early days with the twins with your tuning. You made a lot of people want twins with your success. You showed a lot of people how to make them work better.:thumb::D

ALLY Fox

Old Man Truck
Dec 14, 2010
Oregon 7S5
I needed a truck to pull a 5th wheel. Talked to my Dodge buddies, they said buy a Dodge but stay away from the junk automatics but I hate maneuvering a 5th wheel with a manual trans and wife wouldn't drive a stick anyway. Ford buddies said get a 6.0 or 6.4 F350, but be prepared to spend lots of $$ on turbos, EGRs and other repair. Why would I do that? Didn't know any Dmax people so I lurked out here, trying to find out about them. Couldn't find a good LBZ TV so I got an LLY and did the recommended mods, been happy ever since. I was one of those unlucky suckers who bought a new Olds Toronado 350 diesel back in '79 and swore I'd NEVER buy another GM product after that, but I did...... We've done coast to coast, many many mountain passes in Colorado and PNW, no problems so far. Love my Duramax!!

Leadfoot

Needs Bigger Tires!
Dec 27, 2006
Western MA
www.matpa.org
Just curious, but how many guys on here nowadays were at any of Merchant's three GTGs? I'd imagine a sizeable number of you were still in high school then (or younger :eek:).

I was in '07
Nastygirl hit 1000RWHP
Ben brought his motorized picnic table (and prototype of pre 06 tapshifter that I watched him showcase to MikeL)
Had Eric build me a trans
Met quite a few cool peeps including MikeL, Ben, TheBac, TrailerProPop, BudTX, and the live SHEEP! :roflmao:

What got me started was a buddy who bought an '01 ECSB and let me borrow it to tow a demolition derby car I had (was really impressed), and then watching the videos of Mike Tomac and the now defunct DuramaxRacing.com website. I knew I wanted one by 2003, but it took until Dec '05 to pull the trigger on the LBZ.

Over the years I've met a lot of people I would not have if it wasn't for the Duramax....

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
This is getting better all the time.:D
Does anyone remember my match race with The Wicked Witch of The West ( Kat )?