Duramax pioneer thread

Stingpuller

The Pusher Man
Jan 11, 2007
central Ohio
Good read!

Its cool to look back at the old times. I came into this in 2006 and its pretty cool. Also if I had Ken or Mikes money I would just have a house!:roflmao: With there kind of money I would have to stay home and guard it.:hug:

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Its cool to look back at the old times. I came into this in 2006 and its pretty cool. Also if I had Ken or Mikes money I would just have a house!:roflmao: With there kind of money I would have to stay home and guard it.:hug:

if you saw mikes money, im not sure how your still alive to talk about it. the sheep get very defensive about "money" when its brought up around them. you certainly dont mention it when you have your boots on and the hooves tucked in :rofl:

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA

Jeff
If I had as much money as you think I have; I would gladly give you half.:rofl:

mechman3

no such thing as too fast
Jan 7, 2015
Saratoga Springs, Utah
I have to admit to being a Chevy fan when I was a kid. My dad bought a brand new 1970 Monte Carlo. I was hooked. My first car was a 1972 Chevelle I loved that thing. But then got married had kids and no budget for anything go fast. In 2004 I lucked out and started in business. I needed a daily driver/hauler to haul alot of cabinets around. I bought a Duramax LLY That truck hauled more than the mail to be sure. Told my brother-in-law about them and he switched from Fords. Then my father in law joined in by buying my 04.5 LLY. I found this forum after I bought my 05 and I never knew I could get so much common sense from a diesel forum. Thanks guys. Now I have my GMC CC/LB as the signature reads and more mods to come:D

duramaxnate

Professional Amateur
Feb 18, 2014
Norco, CA
www.mcfooracing.com
I just read through this. I live in SoCal and boy I wish I was part of this years ago. But I have the pleasure of knowing some of the pioneers in this industry, Pat and Kat, Mike L etc. And still be part of it to this day. :hug:

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
I wish I had all the money I have spent on these damn things, could buy a really nice house with it. :D

All I know is paying for Kole and Hannah's college would be easier.
Ah, who am I kidding? I've modded every vehicle I've ever owned. It just would've been something else....

Lets see, first GTG I ever went to was at John Kennedy's in early 2004. He had just got his dyno installed, and had a party to celebrate. Merchant did a trans build for Nate Dwyer (he owns PTP) right there in front of everybody. They did before/after dyno runs, and Nate picked up 50hp just from the trans.
Idle Chatter (Tom) was one of the first DP members I befriended, due to the slick little Attitude mount he made. I copied it for my truck later on...

Remember the AOL Instant Messenger group chats we used to have until really late at night? I have never in my life laughed so hard for so long, esp at Juice and Pnut.

Speaking of Pnut, every once in a while he posts over at DP. Always nice to talk to him on there, but I always forget to ask him how the booze store turned out. :hehe: Did anyone ever figure out what the heck was really behind that argument he had with Geno?

I can't believe I've been involved in this hobby for 12 years now. Yikes.

Last edited:

cstephens93

Oct 13, 2014
Tallahassee, FL
All I know is paying for Kole and Hannah's college would be easier.
Ah, who am I kidding? I've modded every vehicle I've ever owned. It just would've been something else....

Lets see, first GTG I ever went to was at John Kennedy's in early 2004. He had just got his dyno installed, and had a party to celebrate. Merchant did a trans build for Nate Dwyer (he owns PTP) right there in front of everybody. They did before/after dyno runs, and Nate picked up 50hp just from the trans.
Idle Chatter (Tom) was one of the first DP members I befriended, due to the slick little Attitude mount he made. I copied it for my truck later on...

Remember the AOL Instant Messenger group chats we used to have until really late at night? I have never in my life laughed so hard for so long, esp at Juice and Pnut.

Speaking of Pnut, every once in a while he posts over at DP. Always nice to talk to him on there, but I always forget to ask him how the booze store turned out. :hehe: Did anyone ever figure out what the heck was really behind that argument he had with Geno?

I can't believe I've been involved in this hobby for 12 years now. Yikes.

Is John active on any forums anymore these days? I was pretty close to getting a pre tuned ECM from him

Subman

Old Geezer
Jun 27, 2008
Madras, OR, Pahrump NV
Speaking of Kennedy, back in 2005 when I started modding my 02 GMC I drove over to Montana near Missoula to compete in what The DieselPage was calling the 2005 pull off. Basically we were at this mountain pass (lost trails pass) on huighway 93 between Montana and Idaho. You started out about 5000' and climbed one mile up and 6.5% grade pulling a 10K trailer from a dead stop and to see how fast you could do it. I did it for two years, but they and done it at a different location in previous years but I only competed in 05 and 06. The fast trucks were limited to 0-60 mph in 06 because the speeds we were reaching and the fact it was illegal as hell. :D The state police also were made aware and so we cooled it. First year I rode with Kennedy and asked him what his EGT's were? He said he was afraid to look, I did and the gauge was buried at 2000 degrees. He use Nitrous in 06 which I thought was total BS, and did his pull the evening before the event was suppose to happen when it was much cooler. I also got a bum time from the organizer because I know my time was at least 2 seconds quicker then he recorded it. But Kennedy was a sponsor of the Diesel Page and I know he wanted him to win. Can't prove any of that but I dropped my membership after that event. If you haven't read the articles they are a flash back to earlier days when we stacked tuners etc. Also in 2006 I had the first set of production twin turbos on a LB7. I pulled the trailer the full mile anyway and could have easily hit 100mph but had to get out of it short of the finish line due to traffic. My EGT's on the twins only got to 1550 in that run. Nathan at MPI used my truck to build the jigs. John (Juice Grips) has the first proto type set but they were pretty hacked up looking.

http://www.thedieselpage.com/features/pulloff2005.htm

http://www.thedieselpage.com/features/pulloff2006c.htm

TeaBagger2006

Im a Garrett Nut Swinger
May 11, 2008
Bis ND
I got my 06 in 06.... I remember signing on to diesel place religiously to see what was new. Mike MMLMM found me on there in 08 and invited me to a little meet where I met Wes( WHITETRASH21) , Chad( ALLIGATOR) , Justin (JRAYMER) .... we all became close friends and some damn good people. I've been to too many events..... the duramax scene was cooler back in the day:D Hanging out at Underground diesel with newly really opened my eyes as to how expensive and frustrating... yet fun thus hobby can be. diesels have changed my life

nwpadmax

comlpete diphsit
Aug 17, 2006
under my truck
WTH is ol John (Juice Grips) up to ?!?! Man that's an oldie but a goodie name from the past!

Juice is alive and well, he's on my FB feed. Seems like he's hardcore into the competitive shooting arena. We IM back and forth now and then.

I also get pretty frequent contact with PartsGuy662 (Scott) and he hasn't changed one bit (still sends me pics and articles of the most WTF stuff I have ever seen). Owns and operates his NAPA store in WI.

As for my inspiration, Mike Tomac times eleventybillion. Steve Cole also for all the help and good conversation over the years. We still talk regularly.

Geez, I can't stop. Johnboy and I are still good friends and talk all the time. Coupla weeks ago I was up at his place seeing a certain dragster getting a wiring harness put in it....

Crap, almost forgot, I was vacationing in Alberta (Banff) in June and went to see Curtis Halvorson. He's doing well.

I have met a lot of really cool people due to these forums...can't say enough for these bringing the world in a little closer.

Last edited:

56taskforce

Mar 30, 2014
I signed up on the DP a couple months ago was immediately flamed by some Cummins guys for my user name same as here (56taskforce) I don't know who they think I am but whoever they think I am they don't like him so I never went back. I guess that is OK I like it here much better anyway...:thumb:

56taskforce

Mar 30, 2014
Speaking of Kennedy, back in 2005 when I started modding my 02 GMC I drove over to Montana near Missoula to compete in what The DieselPage was calling the 2005 pull off. Basically we were at this mountain pass (lost trails pass) on huighway 93 between Montana and Idaho. You started out about 5000' and climbed one mile up and 6.5% grade pulling a 10K trailer from a dead stop and to see how fast you could do it. I did it for two years, but they and done it at a different location in previous years but I only competed in 05 and 06. The fast trucks were limited to 0-60 mph in 06 because the speeds we were reaching and the fact it was illegal as hell. :D The state police also were made aware and so we cooled it. First year I rode with Kennedy and asked him what his EGT's were? He said he was afraid to look, I did and the gauge was buried at 2000 degrees. He use Nitrous in 06 which I thought was total BS, and did his pull the evening before the event was suppose to happen when it was much cooler. I also got a bum time from the organizer because I know my time was at least 2 seconds quicker then he recorded it. But Kennedy was a sponsor of the Diesel Page and I know he wanted him to win. Can't prove any of that but I dropped my membership after that event. If you haven't read the articles they are a flash back to earlier days when we stacked tuners etc. Also in 2006 I had the first set of production twin turbos on a LB7. I pulled the trailer the full mile anyway and could have easily hit 100mph but had to get out of it short of the finish line due to traffic. My EGT's on the twins only got to 1550 in that run. Nathan at MPI used my truck to build the jigs. John (Juice Grips) has the first proto type set but they were pretty hacked up looking.

http://www.thedieselpage.com/features/pulloff2005.htm

http://www.thedieselpage.com/features/pulloff2006c.htm

I wish I would have taken the time to meet you at Woodburn this year Subman I know I recognized the car...