Crower Rod autopsy.

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
We pulled apart two pistons on our last run at Bonneville. The engine had many quarter passes, dynos, a sled pull, and 3 LSR passes before the pistons quit. So there was a good amount of abuse put to them.

I put the rods on a CMM machine, and found that even the damaged cylinders had acceptable eye to eye length. 6 were less than .0005" from original spec, and 2 were less than .002"

One rod twisted slightly on a damaged piston cylinder, which most likely happened after the piston came apart and the wrist pit hit the bottom the of the piston.

A stripe of burnishing was appearing in the little end bushings about .2" wide and 90° long on the pressure side. It is 1/2 way between the center oiling groove and the outside, so it's an oiling issue. Stock rods show this as well. Whether it would ever get to the point of failure, I don't know.

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
H-Beam? (I always get the two mixed up, standard design) billet rods, 1146.2-1146.7 grams.

Here's a picture of the burnished area. It is "polished" and discolored. The rest of the bushing retains the hone markings.

It is entirely possible this is normal and acceptable wear. The diameters were fine. All eight rods had the same burnished area.

Attachments

• crower.JPG
    crower.JPG
    40.7 KB · Views: 103
Last edited:

Fingers

Village Idiot
Vendor/Sponsor
Apr 1, 2008
White Oak, PA
That mark lines up with the edge of the small upper end. I would think is burnishing of the minor machining imperfection that can happen when you go from a complete hole to a partial.

But what do I know.

Diesel power

Jun 2, 2008
maryland
H-Beam? (I always get the two mixed up, standard design) billet rods, 1146.2-1146.7 grams.

Here's a picture of the burnished area. It is "polished" and discolored. The rest of the bushing retains the hone markings.

It is entirely possible this is normal and acceptable wear. The diameters were fine. All eight rods had the same burnished area.

Is it like that on both sides of the rod? if so i think i can explain what is happeneing.

it looks like the load is so great in that area, that the outer edge or the rod or lip, is bending down or flexing with load, causeing a wear mark........?

the only other possible explaination is that there IS a size difference somewhere along the wrist pin OD, or the rod small end ID, and that slight difference is causeing a wear or polish mark.

another possibility that for reasons above the oil is being pushed out of that area by load or a eneven surface( rod or pin) and causeing a slight lack of lubricant where it is showing where.

I think that it's a OD and ID spec issue, in the rod or the pin itself.......