CP4 FCA Screen from Exergy

coker6365

Coker6303's ***** Daddy
Dec 4, 2011
Has anyone looked into the upgraded FCA from Exergy that removes the factory 60 micron single layer screen and replaces it with a dual layer metal 25 micron screen? Part number E05 10505.

From my understanding, the FCA in a CP4 actually sees the high pressure fuel output before it gets to the rail so the screen is able to catch most of the debris before it hits the injectors in the event of a pump failure. I know the CP3 functions differently in regards to the FCA, however, if this is the way the CP4 works then it may be a good peace of mind for those who do not want to do the CP3 swap.

Example:
http://randallsperf.com/exergy-e05-10505.html

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013
Link runs you to a weird page if you don't click the x button on the browser when it's got the page loaded..

For $240 of piece of mind and not having to replace injectors if the pump goes boom I'm in

GM_Guy

Jan 21, 2016
Southeast MI
I'm going to be running their "improved stock" cp4 that has that FCA stepping down from a stroker cp4, it'll be interesting to see if I can still maintain rail with my stock cp4/sportsman cp3 and 100% injectors.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
The actuator is on the "low" pressure side of the pump.

It would be to protect debris from entering the piston and thus the high pressure side, but 25 microns doesn't provide a whole lot of protection. I'm sure it was a trade off between filtering and fuel flow. Proper protection and not enough fuel flow. There is not enough surface area on the actuator for the needed flow with a smaller micron rated screen. I think it is a cross your fingers approach at best

Lookie here

schempompycp41.png

And here: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=387252

Last edited:

oscyjack

May 7, 2016
Northeast
If it's on the low pressure side it wouldn't prevent debris from a grenade from moving forward then correct? Admittedly I haven't studied the cp4 outside of the ones we use for vw's but I thought the carnage developed post low pressure as a byproduct of cavitation caused by the piston/fuel relationship.

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
Ultimately, all the fuel must pass through the FCA. The FCA pulls its fuel from the body of the pump where the rotating assembly, cam and roller reside. When the pump desides its had enough and commits suicide, all of the metal debris must pass though the FCA before making its way to the piston and then to the injectors. As it sits the screen on the FCA is the last resort to stop anything from making its way to the injectors. At 60 microns its more of a sand trap. 25 microns is better but no ware near enough to protect the injectors from harm

If you follow the diagram above, the fuel enters the pump at number 5, flows around inside the body lubricating the cam and roller, etc. It then enters #8 (some fuel leaves through #6, a pressure release valve, and out #4) this is where the screen is at. Then up to the top of the piston #12 and out #2 to the injectors.

2micron makes a bypass kit for the VWs that would likely fit these trucks. It allows fuel to be fed directly into the FCA without going through the body of the pump. Now your main filter is the one that determines what micron size particles make it to the injectors

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
Would you trust a 25 micron main filter to protect your injectors? Now if your FCA was bad and need replacing anyways then sure go for it, otherwise I think the money is better spent elsewhere

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
Isnt it a PITA to change, to the point that you might as well just CP3-swap it by the time you've gotten to the point of R&R'ing the FCA??

coker6365

Coker6303's ***** Daddy
Dec 4, 2011
Isnt it a PITA to change, to the point that you might as well just CP3-swap it by the time you've gotten to the point of R&R'ing the FCA??

The FCA is very easy to get to on a CP4. Look right behind your thermostat housing and its staring up at you. :thumb:

The CP3 is more difficult due to it being mounted on the rear of the pump and facing the Y-bridge. But still not terrible with the right tools, just more time consuming.

coker6365

Coker6303's ***** Daddy
Dec 4, 2011
Thanks for all the responses gents. I personally believe the screen change from Exergy is a good improvement but not necessarily the answer. It is definitely an improvement over the stock one. However, I think the real answer it to not allow the lubricating fuel to circulate to the FCA but rather return to the tank and allow the FCA access to good clean fuel on the supply side only.

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013
Thanks for all the responses gents. I personally believe the screen change from Exergy is a good improvement but not necessarily the answer. It is definitely an improvement over the stock one. However, I think the real answer it to not allow the lubricating fuel to circulate to the FCA but rather return to the tank and allow the FCA access to good clean fuel on the supply side only.

You going to try one?

coker6365

Coker6303's ***** Daddy
Dec 4, 2011
Lol. Well damn.. I think I'm one of the few who wants to keep a cp4.. until it gernades then I'll be pissed

I am trying to keep the cp4. I don't want to swap a cp3 unless I absolutely have to for the daily. No sense in trying to blow up multiple rides. :roflmao:

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
The FCA is very easy to get to on a CP4. Look right behind your thermostat housing and its staring up at you. :thumb:

The CP3 is more difficult due to it being mounted on the rear of the pump and facing the Y-bridge. But still not terrible with the right tools, just more time consuming.

Ahh ok I must be thinking of the second regulator on the fuel rail.

Never really worked on an LML, I wasnt sure if it was a pain or not.