cluster oil gauge not working after head gasket install.

MrBunny

Sep 14, 2015
Lake City, FL
Hey guys my truck LB7 was down for awhile while i was doing the head gaskets. the oil pressure gauge worked before the truck was worked on. not it wont work. I get pressure reading from the torque pro app idle 11psi reving goes over 50 psi but no movement on the cluster. Also when the truck is in park reving the speedo starts to move now. Possible the cluster is taking a crap? no low oil warning on the dash either.

Last edited:

MrBunny

Sep 14, 2015
Lake City, FL
im going to put a mec gauge on it tomorrow to verify pressure. I see that Ebay has a ton of stepper motor repair kits so im really thinking its the stepper.

Max Attitude

11SIX
Mar 7, 2012
Caledonia, MI
im going to put a mec gauge on it tomorrow to verify pressure. I see that Ebay has a ton of stepper motor repair kits so im really thinking its the stepper.

Yeah, if you're decent with a solder iron it's not a hard job at all. Just make sure you mark where the needles are before you pull them like I did. :rolleyes:

MrBunny

Sep 14, 2015
Lake City, FL
update. double checked with mech gauge and have great pressure. cluster gauge is acting up. so soon i will be buying stepper motors.

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
Don't cheap out and buy the cheap ebay steppers, you'll be in the same boat in no time again. Buy QUALITY made steppers unless you like redoing the work again and again. They make a kit that comes with soldering iron, solder, solder pump, bulbs and steppers if you look for it. You alos might be able to find somebody to do it for you reasoneably enough. I normally charge people $75 to pull theres apart, replace 7 steppers, do the bulbs, and go over all the solders in them to make sure theres no cold solders that cause the known PRNDL display to go out.

MrBunny

Sep 14, 2015
Lake City, FL
Don't cheap out and buy the cheap ebay steppers, you'll be in the same boat in no time again. Buy QUALITY made steppers unless you like redoing the work again and again. They make a kit that comes with soldering iron, solder, solder pump, bulbs and steppers if you look for it. You alos might be able to find somebody to do it for you reasoneably enough. I normally charge people $75 to pull theres apart, replace 7 steppers, do the bulbs, and go over all the solders in them to make sure theres no cold solders that cause the known PRNDL display to go out.
i understand that. they do sell a kit with all the lights and steppers and desolder pump and soldering iron..

Max Attitude

11SIX
Mar 7, 2012
Caledonia, MI
I'd imagine they aren't all junk on ebay. My speedo stepper has been good for a couple years now and cost $8. The seller was also very helpful/knowledgable.

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
I'd imagine they aren't all junk on ebay. My speedo stepper has been good for a couple years now and cost $8. The seller was also very helpful/knowledgable.
They aren;t all junk, but beware many are in fact chinese steppers. The chinese ones used to be black, but word got out the black ones were chinese and were failing, so now they make them white. I buy all of mine direct from a cluster parts supplier.

malibu795

misspeelleerr
Apr 28, 2007
in the buckeye state
Did you pinch the harness on DS?
There is a harness that runs behind the DS acc bracket for oil pressure sender and oil level switch.. Pinch it hard enough ground wires out and guage won't work..

MrBunny

Sep 14, 2015
Lake City, FL
lol shit o forgot to reply on this one.. I didnt have the oil pressure switch plugged in on the harness and i also use a mechanical gauge to check pressure. its all good now.