LBZ: Can I swap my tuned ECM from my 06 to my 07?

mriley

Nov 19, 2013
I currently have 2 dually duramax diesels and have a question about potentially swapping the ECM to move my tunes to the 07

-I have a 2007 Chevy 3500 LBZ, completely stock - not tuned or modified in any way.

-I also have a 2006 LLY RPO Code GMC 3500, has what I assume is EFI Live, a DSP5 position switch, AFE intake, and 5 inch exhaust.

The tunes and mods were already on the 06 when I bought it, but now I am getting rid of the 06. I would love to move the tunes over to my 07 if it is possible.

On a quick glance they both have Bosch ECM's but from what I can see they have a different part number.

So what do you guys think, is it plug and play? Can I swap the ECM and drive off into the sunset? Or will it be more involved then that.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
The ECM is interchangeable, but there may be some configuration differences in the OS depending on truck options. You will also have a VATS issue that you will have to resolve when you swap.

mriley

Nov 19, 2013
Thanks for the response Josh. I did more research and the re-learn procedure for the ECM seems pretty simple. As far as options everything else is the same between the two trucks. The only difference is trim level, the tuned 06 is an SLE with Cloth seats, the 07 is an LT with Leather.

So now I just need to wait for someone with solid knowledge on this to tell me if its a go. I think they are interchangeable but that's only based on finding used ECM's online that state what vehicles they fit

IdahoRob

Jun 5, 2007
If your fuel tanks and the type of T-cases are the same , then you can swap. Tire size differences will affect speedo. Vats will cause the need for a re-learn.

mriley

Nov 19, 2013
If your fuel tanks and the type of T-cases are the same , then you can swap. Tire size differences will affect speedo. Vats will cause the need for a re-learn.

I believe both trucks have the NP263XHD - Both have the same type of Electronic Shifter, and both have the 34 gallon fuel tank. So it looks like I am good to go, I will give it a try a little later on.

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
What about the vin stored in the ecm. It wont match the vehicle and will fail smog check. You will also need to update that

mriley

Nov 19, 2013

Did the swap, VATS re learn went smooth with no issues. Truck starts and idles just fine, revs to 1300 fine, but try to rev (or drive) and the truck acts as if it is hitting the rev limiter at about 1600 rpm and quite a bit of white smoke comes out of the stock exhaust. Won't go over 1600 rpm and doesn't produce white smoke at idle or any other rev point beside 1600. I turned the truck off, let it sit, and turned it back on. Let it idle for 10 minutes to give the truck some time to adjust to the new ECM, still acting as if rev limiter is being hit at 1600.

Got scared, put my factory ECM back in and everything is fine :woott:

My first thought is that I didn't run the DSP5 switch yet, and maybe it is reverting to a hot tune, not good for a factory intake/exhaust truck?

I wish I could talk to the previous owner of the '06, to know what else he had done. I don't think any internals were touched, all mods I can tell are listed above.

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
What about copying over the injector flow rates from the old ecm into the new? Glow plug module into ecm

mriley

Nov 19, 2013
The answer to my question was solved after a week or two and really thinking about it. I realized yesterday that what I experienced was similar to limp mode, and thought about what might cause that....the EGR.

I realized the 06 must have a block off plate, and was tuned accordingly. I got the block off plate out of there, put it and the ECM into the 07, it BOOM it runs like an animal just like my 06. So the answer to the question is yes, the ECM's are interchangeable. Case closed