Camshaft Interchangable?

DuramaxMisery

Jul 12, 2023
Tennessee
There’s an expensive back-story, but I’m tearing down a Blackwater rebuilt LML long block with 14,000 miles that has sheared the pin that aligns the camshaft gear to the cam. Looking at the camshaft, it says LBZ 2010. Anyone know if the shafts for LML and LBZ are interchangeable?

Ron Nielson

Oct 11, 2009
Berryton, KS
I don't know the answer to your question but I find it peculiar because LBZ was not made in 2010, and neither was the LML. 2010 was LMM engines. 2011 was LML.

Reactions: 2004LB7

DuramaxMisery

Jul 12, 2023
Tennessee
I don't know the answer to your question but I find it peculiar because LBZ was not made in 2010, and neither was the LML. 2010 was LMM engines. 2011 was LML.
Thanks for your reply Ron. I have a 2016 Duramax (bought new) with LML engine. I don’t know that the 2010 on the cam shaft is intended to be a date-it’s just there. I’m trying to figure out what all is wrong with this blown up engine and wondered if the camshaft put in the rebuilt long block by Blackwater was the right one.

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
I'm pretty sure that 01 through 16 are all interchangeable and have the same grind

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
I could be wrong but, I don't believe Black Water has the best reputation as a general rebuilder. It's possible they mixed and matched parts from various motors to make one. Most of the parts interchange between some of the years.

I am pretty sure the basic LMM long block is basically the same as an LBZ.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
I'm pretty sure that 01 through 16 are all interchangeable and have the same grind
They're interchangeable from 01 to present, but I believe every generation has slightly changed the cam profile. I know a couple of guys have recently posted cam doctor data of stock cams that seems to indicate they are not all the same.

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
If we get some more cams to measure we will know for sure. I only have my 06 LBZ cam. It would be nice to measure the different cams to know for sure. I have seen some variations of number's posted but they never post how they got the numbers. I posted the reports from the machine from my cam.

I would be happy to do some more if any one wants to donate a cam shaft. I will pay the evaluation fee to my local guy.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
If we get some more cams to measure we will know for sure. I only have my 06 LBZ cam. It would be nice to measure the different cams to know for sure. I have seen some variations of number's posted but they never post how they got the numbers. I posted the reports from the machine from my cam.

I would be happy to do some more if any one wants to donate a cam shaft. I will pay the evaluation fee to my local guy.
I'll see what I can dig up. I think I can get a stock LMM, LML, and L5P.

Reactions: 1FastBrick

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
If I have a range of cams, I will get them all measured on the same day around the same time For best comparison. I don't believe the room is temperature controlled that has the measuring equipment.

They guy I use wants a new attachment for his cam doctor. So maybe I will buy that in exchange as it increases the accuracy of attaching the cam to measure it as it rotates.

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
How quick would the turnaround be, if a guy sent one?

Sent from my SM-G990U2 using Tapatalk
It depends on what they have going on. If the have a lot cams to grind I might have to wait a day or 2. I could send it back out the same day I get it measured if you need it back.

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
I'll rip this cam out of my stock LB7 and get it sent out to ya. It'll probably be sometime next week.
No worries, take your time. I see an LB7 cam listed for sale in my area. I just looked yesterday and the guy is down to $20 now. I was think of garbing it.

Got my main bearings yesterday like you said. Thanks!

Reactions: Bdsankey

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
I have a wagler stg 1 here but am now ready to install it. Maybe next time

Sent from my SM-G990U2 using Tapatalk
I measured that one already. Stage 1 standard firing order. Wasn't exactaly the specs they told me. Look in the link that TheBac posted

Brad has one in his engine and I am doing one as well