Cam Design

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
How about a discussion on cam designs for max power in our Duramax powered vehicles. I will assume this would also be the most efficient as well???

Start with stock cam specs and go from there....

Perhaps it doesn't belong in this thread but how would you alter your tuning from a stock cam tune to tuning for a "bigger" cam? In general, what things/tables/parameters need to be refigured/considered with aftermarket cams?

I hope this gets really technical as I know next to nothing about cams. If this is too touchy or invasive of a question... perhaps someone can at least offer up some good reading material for cam design for HPCR diesel engines???

C-ya

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
There are 3 unique things that affect the cam in a turbo diesel:

Low RPM operation. Even our hot-rods are <6000rpm. That is the start point for gas engines.

Higher backpressure. Since we run more boost, we run more backpressure, hence more residual charge and heat.

No throttle. Cam must work at idle even with full air density, unlike cars.

Guy Tripp has a new grind that I will be testing in the new engine.

Currently Casper has a stock cam in it.

jbarker@bankspower

<Worlds 2nd Fastest Dmax
Mar 24, 2008
I'm wondering why the stock cam specs seem so small. From what we have measured the max lift (at 0 lash) with the stock 1.365 rocker is only [email protected] and has a max duration of [email protected]. I imagine a large part of the stock cam profile would be because of emmission reasons more then anything but it sure looks like there's a large margine for improvment.

malibu795

misspeelleerr
Apr 28, 2007
in the buckeye state
i know a little about what pat is saying.. N/A engine you run the cam loped close together. common is between 108-114* between exhaust closing and intake opening. the small the 1XX* numbers is the more the valve are open allowing a said"scavanging affect" on the intake. getting more fresh air into the cylinder. even more so when you run a tube header or the like that allow for a rapid cooling of the hot exhaust gas. do this creatase a "said" vaccum on the cylinder... wider lobe sep (112+)has a tendincy to have a wide rpm band and good off idle nature. the narrow 110 and less has a much narrow and more of a rough idle and narrow power band.. (hope that makes sense)

with that said, turbo charged anything gasser and diesel alike have scavngine between exhasut and intake vlv is mush less disirable... .you want a wide lobe seperation. the allows for the comeplet charge to be showed out the exhaust with minimum backwash into the intake (rememebring the exhaus is pressureizes)...

maintainign a said lope sep say 114* you can only increase you duration so much before you have to increase you ramps on the cam. the dmax runs a solid roller lifter setup.

know knowing the guy has kinda got this market looked down for now. and hes is not going to diclose his specs...;)
there are 3 way to make more power.
1.) is hold the vlv open longer. longer duration
2.) opend the vlv farther ie more lift
3.) combo of 1 and 2

keeping with the single pattern cam meanign intake and exhaust are the same. 178* @ .390 is stock

1.) bump the duration up by 10* to 188* keeping everything else the same.. this will more the power band (PB) up 100-200rpms

2.) leave duration allone and increase net lift from .390 to .415. this will have minimum effect on the PB as to were is fall in a said operating range. but will increase power.

3.) is a split pattern/ dual pattern cam. this is were you take two diff cam profiles and combine them. these style of cams tend to have a wider/flatter PB then a said single pattern cam with the same intake specs.
it would look liek 188/178* and .390/.415 @ .050

here is an example of a gasser turbo cam form crower.
226/208* @.050 lift .465/.420 with a lobe ses od 114* intake is much larger than the exhaust.. basicly the oppostion of a tradtioanl N/A camp

im going to gues the guys cams resemble some like the cam from crower that i posted

there is aloot of work that goes into this make of a cam. makeing sure that there is enough give between piston and valve as well

how many did i just confuse :rofl:

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
I'm wondering why the stock cam specs seem so small. From what we have measured the max lift (at 0 lash) with the stock 1.365 rocker is only [email protected] and has a max duration of [email protected]. I imagine a large part of the stock cam profile would be because of emmission reasons more then anything but it sure looks like there's a large margine for improvment.

The lift is misleading since it's a 4v head. .390 is actually alot with the little tiny valves we run. IIRC, 31mm is the stock size, so the lift is just about 10mm, or 1/3 the diam. A Z06 engine has a ~ 2.0" valve that lifts ~.525", or 25% of the diameter.

The duration is due to the low target RPM (3000 RPM peak HP). A Z06 is about 218

malibu795

misspeelleerr
Apr 28, 2007
in the buckeye state
The lift is misleading since it's a 4v head. .390 is actually alot with the little tiny valves we run. IIRC, 31mm is the stock size, so the lift is just about 10mm, or 1/3 the diam. A Z06 engine has a ~ 2.0" valve that lifts ~.525", or 25% of the diameter.

The duration is due to the low target RPM (3000 RPM peak HP). A Z06 is about 218

Stingpuller

The Pusher Man
Jan 11, 2007
central Ohio
Camshaft

I think with the bigger dia. lifters in the D-Max and low RPM range one could getaway with a faster acting lobe(intensity rate of the lobe). The camshaft has a big rule in the dynamic compression of a motor also. Many factors to ponder. Jeff

MAX707

Mar 4, 2008
Guy custom ground my cam to fit my GT4202R and other engine mods. It's a world of diference in driveability since the cam went in with the rest of his goodies.

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Bringing this back up to ask a couple questions on cam timing....

What is the better way to set the cam in a Dmax for performance? Cam set 5*before, 5* after or "straight up"? Is it possible to grind the different keyways on teh cam to change cam timing, or is the only way to do it an offset key?

Just curious.

Last edited:

S Phinney

Aug 15, 2008
Quncy, Fl
When I discussed degreeing cams with Curtis at DPR he told me that there wasn't parts that could be used to change cam timing yet.