LML Callies Durastar Crankshaft Issues??

Duramax_9505

Oct 29, 2016
Recently had a 2015 LML come in with a "losing coolant, no leak concern". Determined to be a head gasket failure. After tear down, noticed stress cracks around the bowls of the pistons(no surprise there). Customer opted to tear down further for an engine rebuild with some upgraded parts to eliminate weak points. One of those upgrades being a Callies Durastar crankshaft. Fast forward 2 months and 30,000 miles, we now have an engine that has lost its thrust. It is my understanding that we are not the only company that has experienced these issues while using a Durastar crankshaft. In fact, after talking with 2 other individuals about their experience, they claimed their thrust washers were laying in the oil pan, intact! Currently, Callies has 3 crankshafts in their possession for testing from 2 other companies and probably a 4th one coming from us. So far, we have sent the torque converter back to Suncoast to be examined. However, we do not suspect this is the issue. It is the same converter that was linked to the stock engine for 7 months and nearly 120,000 miles. I will continue to keep this thread updated as we dig deeper into what is causing this issue.

Attachments

• IMG_0562.jpg
    IMG_0562.jpg
    177 KB · Views: 281
Last edited:

Duramax_9505

Oct 29, 2016
During assembly, we had .0065" of clearance/endplay. That changed dramatically because the lower thrust washer was about to fall out and find its way into the oil pan. The upper one, well, let's just say it was happier when we put it in during assembly....

kidturbo

Piston Tester
Jul 21, 2010
Somewhere On The Ohio
www.marinemods.us
Seems to be a Rockwell issue. Someones forgotten to rockwell test the hardness of their finished surfaces before sending them out the door..

There is no good reason a thrust bearing should ever wear out the crank. Guess everyone can stop searching for reasons that don't exist now. I was concerned enough to check my 2 ultras when we tore down both engines couple months back. So far those didn't seem to be gaining any end play.

Now only question is, all from same batch, or is it all to date??

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
Seems to be a Rockwell issue. Someones forgotten to rockwell test the hardness of their finished surfaces before sending them out the door..

There is no good reason a thrust bearing should ever wear out the crank. Guess everyone can stop searching for reasons that don't exist now. I was concerned enough to check my 2 ultras when we tore down both engines couple months back. So far those didn't seem to be gaining any end play.

Now only question is, all from same batch, or is it all to date??

This is the million dollar question!

kidturbo

Piston Tester
Jul 21, 2010
Somewhere On The Ohio
www.marinemods.us
This is the million dollar question!
Now is the opertunity to independently verify this one.

Suggest you find someone local who has a Rockwell testing tool. Likely someone who works with gears a lot. Have them compare the bearing harness to the the crank face surface. Along with a stock thrust bearing also.. I mean there is an odd chance ones in x bearing sets out there are harder than stock, but then this issue should also shown up on some stock crank rebuilds.

Ne-max

I like turtles
Nov 15, 2011
Lincoln, Ne
This is all I needed to read. Just used a callies durastar in my lml engine. Maybe it's time to send it down the road before it needs engine #4..lol

Dont jump to conclusions to fast. Wait to see some data on failures. What type of application, hp level, clearances, and type of failure. Look at last year where 4 trucks lost Carrillos in a week.

IdahoRob

Jun 5, 2007
What is causing the increased clearance, thrust wear or crank wear/deflection? What side of the thrust washer is seeing the wear?

huey

I am in the process of putting a new engine together now with the Callies Durastar Crankshaft. Now I’m worried and just can’t seam to win with the crankshaft issues on the Duramax without buying the billet $4000 dollar version. They all break until you get to the L5P. I hate to say it, but the 6.7 Ford is looking better everyday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Duramax_9505

Oct 29, 2016
What is causing the increased clearance, thrust wear or crank wear/deflection? What side of the thrust washer is seeing the wear?

What is causing the increase in clearance is unknown at this point. From what we can tell(crankshaft is still in the block just in case engineering at Callies wants more measurements), the rear, upper thrust washer is taking the beating. The lower one one does not look shaved down, but over time, would've fallen into the oil pan, possibly unscathed.