LML Callies Durastar Crankshaft Issues??

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
I personally haven't yet myself. On the Compstar it has been a low percentage of issue so far but as far as I'm concerned it shouldn't have been an issue period. I have a Compstar in my current race motor and time will tell on it too. According to Eric, Callies did replace both of the cranks we had issue with and it was tied to a batch that they are now saying was the issue itself.

Keep us posted.

The question is how many made it into people's engines from that batch? The even bigger question is how will Callies handle it in terms of teardown etc if the crank is found to be bad from a manufacturing flaw.

kidturbo

Piston Tester
Jul 21, 2010
Somewhere On The Ohio
www.marinemods.us
I personally haven't yet myself. On the Compstar it has been a low percentage of issue so far but as far as I'm concerned it shouldn't have been an issue period. I have a Compstar in my current race motor and time will tell on it too. According to Eric, Callies did replace both of the cranks we had issue with and it was tied to a batch that they are now saying was the issue itself.
Dang it Mark I had em believing Grant returned from the dead with that projection..

Actually seeing the Compstar issue up close is what got me concerned enough to pay heavy attention to my Ultras. It's either Mahle makes world's hardest thrust washers, or some metallurgy issue with that particular batch of Compstars.

But at the time, there wasn't enough data to say conclusively the issue was the latter. Seeing another one show up with same problem solved that for me.. Now Callies should have enough data to make the call on how, what, and how many is impacted.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Dallas S

Jun 17, 2009
Alberta
Callie’s numbers show this issue has affected less then 3% of compstars. Appears to be a taper issue and maybe the surface finish had some affect? 1.340-1.3425” between thrust faces. We only have a few out, no known issues yet. Will be measuring current job tomorrow.

Duramax_9505

Oct 29, 2016
Good morning, gentlemen. Keep an eye out these next couple of days as I am told Callies will be making a formal statement regarding this issue.

CRAWLEN

Sep 29, 2017
Any info on statement ? Have an lmm in Australia being built with a durastar crank that was bought at the start of the year. I'm now curious if this one might be effected. Don't want to put it together and it shit the bed. As this hasn't been cheap in Australia to do.

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
Socal just released this video. Maybe this has a lot to do with it.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=fercbEg4Zww

Still nothing from Callies as far as I can tell. The ones that seemed to have failed haven't been in a shade tree mechanics engine, all from reputable shops it seems that know what they are doing.

This could be a much bigger issue but who knows yet. I know a friend of mine has one in his build and is quite concerned to the point where he is pulling the lower pan and using a camera to visually inspect everything.

Ne-max

I like turtles
Nov 15, 2011
Lincoln, Ne
Not saying it's the cause. Just saying with the many thrust bearing issues they was seeing on social media and forums they produced the video.

GabeGalvan

Jun 23, 2017
Hey guys,
Gabe from SoCal Diesel here. We just wanted to get the video out with there being lots of talk surrounding thrust and crankshafts lately. Only spent about 20 minutes on the video due to the fact that we wanted to get it out there as quick as possible. We wanted the public to have information on how to properly set and check their thrust clearance on crankshafts from any manufacturer. Hopefully it helps guys putting these together sleep just a little better at night knowing they checked and confirmed their clearances. We are not saying that engine builders not checking thrust contributed to the issues being discussed on this thread, but there are a lot of DIY guys that follow these threads/our media outlets that might benefit from the information. With all of this being said, we're actively working with Engineering at Callies to develop more information.

kidturbo

Piston Tester
Jul 21, 2010
Somewhere On The Ohio
www.marinemods.us
Thanks for the update Gabe.

Have they Rockwell tested the surfaces in question yet?

As Stingpuller posted above, thrust washer failures are not that uncommon in pulling applications with big spring pressure plates. My neighbors BBC truck ate a couple every season till he sorted it out. However, it never tore up the crank face like these examples.

CRAWLEN

Sep 29, 2017
Just sent an email to callies, asking if its batch related also gave them my crank serial number. Hope that they have an answer. Don't really feel like putting this crank in if its going to fail and have to pull it out again.

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
Just sent an email to callies, asking if its batch related also gave them my crank serial number. Hope that they have an answer. Don't really feel like putting this crank in if its going to fail and have to pull it out again.

It would be awesome if Callies just admitted they have a problem so guys who don't browse the forums could know they may have an issue.

CRAWLEN

Sep 29, 2017
It would be awesome if Callies just admitted they have a problem so guys who don't browse the forums could know they may have an issue.

I'm just glad I stumbled across this while trying to work something else out. Other wise the crank would of gone in by now.

Still haven't heard back from them yet. Hope I get a reply soon as this is going to cause a massive delay to my build if we have to get a replacement crank

kidturbo

Piston Tester
Jul 21, 2010
Somewhere On The Ohio
www.marinemods.us
I know it's springtime, but hearing crickets from up in Fostoria is a bit strange..

Kinda expected some sort of statement by now. Maybe they have someone out racking up 10k miles on a truck to verify it...

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
We installed a couple of motors for a guy last summer that had these cranks in them, and I know he has put over 10k miles on them by now. I sure hope his don't have this problem. We have another one sitting in a crate we are getting ready to install in a third truck for him with the same crank.

kidturbo

Piston Tester
Jul 21, 2010
Somewhere On The Ohio
www.marinemods.us
Easy enough to check em. As Gabe demonstrated, dial indicator on the damper and a big pry bar on the flywheel gonna tell ya real quick..

My monies on a batch issue, which should narrow it down easy enough. Or it could be a batch of super hard thrust washers flaoting around out there.

I also bought into the first batch of Fluidamper neutral balance units for my Ultras. 24hrs after torqued two of em down, one of the washers split into 4 pieces. Sent Ivan a picture, got a reply of oh s***... Seems he had just told someone else they must of over torqued the bolt. When it was actually an over hardened batch of washers. Easy fix, but took two people with same issue in 24hrs to make it click...