malibu795

misspeelleerr
Apr 28, 2007
in the buckeye state
some of you know i am in wyotech...

current course allows you to either
1. work on a school project
2. do your own project.
3 the BBC in my malibu has 2 almost dead cylinders..

since i dont have major funds for my dmax for further power upgrades.. i have several SBC and couple BBC to mess with.

list of thing i have.. not in use
blocks
2 BBC .040 and std bores(std motor is currently runnign in my malibu)
1 SBC 350 4bolt .060?
1 SBC 305 std
all need bored and decked
1 .020 under BBC cast crank needs cut to .030 under
1 eagle sir 3.75 crank need cleaned... possible undercut.
8 of 6.135 oem rods... dont know if they are 3/8" rod bolts or 7/16 rod bolts
3 sets of OEM BBC smogger heads 2.06/1.75 vlv O-ports heads with 113cc chambers
2 sets of OEM smogger sbc heads virgin heads
1 set of world product S/R torque heads 170cc intake runner 58cc chamber 1.94/1.5 with manley undercut valves, K motion 750 (130lb seat presaure)spring, crane 1.6 roller tip rockers with pocket porting
SBC arp bolt kit.
2 SBC performer rpm edelbrock intakes
full set of manley 2.02/1.6 straight stem vlv
8 5.7 eagle 5140 rods with arp bolts

hears the general idea.
i can build a BBC short block and swap the top end of the motor in my malibu (top end has been freshened up... vlvs, springs, rockers, random dual plane intake from edelbrock) and swap the short blocks.. looking at 370hp...
dont know about $$ to increase vlv size from 2.06/1.75 to 2.18/1.88

sbc 383
pending bore of the 350 4 bolt might be able to build a 9.5-10:1 383 ~375-400hp with the world product heads.

sbc 305 stroke to 334ci
i can put the 3.75 crank in this .030 over be ~334ci motor ~10:1 with the world product heads and shoot for a 1.1-1.3:1 hp:ci build 363-420 hp motor wiht a 7000rpm line..

SBC 305 just bore and freshin up.. use all then same stuff as the stroker motor.

piston cost for all there setups is ~300.00 for pistons/rings
machine work is going to be roughly the same.

whats your opinion?

malibu795

misspeelleerr
Apr 28, 2007
in the buckeye state
Pass on the World Heads and go straight to GM Votecs. For a street driven SBC they are cheap and work awesome. Like these http://www.summitracing.com/parts/NAL-12558060/ Used with this http://www.summitracing.com/parts/EDL-7116/ the work great on the cheap.:thumb:
to late on ditching the world heads john.. bought those head back in early 03 before the vortec were really being marketed. plus the world heads have been recently have a vlv job, pocket ported, manley vlvs, and k-motion springs setup for .610 lift and capable of 7,000rpm

i voted for the 383
I am a big small block fan and a 4bolt 383 can make one hell of an engine:thumb:
got a 9.7:1 383 with a speedomotive all fordge rotating assmebley with dart 215cc iron eagle heads.. its in my 75 3/4 4x4 with a th400 behind it.

the 350 4 bolt has some serious rust on the cylinder walls... quick measurement were 4.060-4.070 bore... normaly .060 is the limit on OEM SBC blocks.. id that is the case.. one would need to re-sleave the block to make it servicea ble.. at ~100.00 a hole aint cheap... and i dont have that. that the biggest catch of the 4 bolt 350 block...:(

I'd build the shortblock of the BBC in the 'Bu. Main reason would be to have the BB in your car be a healthy one.
main thing i am worried about it what type of BBC rods do i have sitting in the box at home...
the bare BBC i have has been worked.. all i know is it is .040 and had #7 cylinder sleaved... and the sleave sunk ~.003" in the hole.. 9:1 would work in this block... i dont have a clue to what its current deck height is... OEM stock pistons were ~.020 in the hole... its been sleaved... means most likely been decked... could lead to problems... the BBC in the 'bu is a virgin block.. but need the 'bu running right now.

i still have all the stuff to put the 305 back in the 'Bu since that is what it came out of.

duramaxxx06

Aug 11, 2009
jasper tn
id like to see the stroker 305 build up. i been thinking of somethong like this but never heard anyone else doing it. i think it would be sweet! but thats just my vote and :2cents:

408.Luke

Joined the DARKSIDE
Sep 19, 2009
Houston
im going to sugest a lsx motor they are getting cheap for the truck engines pick up a 6.0 machine 30-40 over P&P heads use stock crank, eagle rods and what ever pistons you want, it can hold up to 1k power, plus swaps into older cars are getting really easy, if not 383 ftw
which campus do you go to? i went to laramie for 15 months u must go to PA? no more engine builds at laramie

mytmousemalibu

Cut your ride, sissy!
Apr 12, 2008
Kansas
I've always been an SBC guy myself, so naturaly i gravitate in that direction:D Hence my screen name!
I have also always wanted to build a budget stroker 305. I think the concept is cool and almost nothing sounds as good as a screaming SBC:thumb:

I remember seein an old 55 bel-air when i was a kid. He ran in some NHRA super stock class but it was all old school. It had a nasty 265ci SBC and a Doug Nash 4spd. He would do a burnout and do 4-5 screaming hi-rpm dry hops before he staged. I swear he had to be bending his tach needle past 11K :rofl: It reved so high it made your ears hurt and you stomach feel like you swallowed a bumble bee nest:rofl:

I Vote Nasty Stroker 305:thumb:

OH and cause my Bu Wagon is a SBC machine too

Last edited:

malibu795

misspeelleerr
Apr 28, 2007
in the buckeye state
im going to sugest a lsx motor they are getting cheap for the truck engines pick up a 6.0 machine 30-40 over P&P heads use stock crank, eagle rods and what ever pistons you want, it can hold up to 1k power, plus swaps into older cars are getting really easy, if not 383 ftw
which campus do you go to? i went to laramie for 15 months u must go to PA? no more engine builds at laramie

yeah i am at PA

i would have to get a LSx motor first..

got a laramie student here... one of my friends it at that campus...

i think i got enough parts to build all three motors.....

334... is deff unique.. might do it... since i have the most up-dated parts for it... might shoot for 1.2:1 hp goal ~400hp..

then build then 468 later

dont how eff'd the BBC block is...

dmaxvaz

wannabe puller
Nov 22, 2006
METRO DETROIT
383 stroker baby! cheap and makes nice power:thumb: and a ebay turbo with a modified carb for blow through operation:rofl:

Last edited:

BlkMax

Sep 1, 2008
Wasilla, AK
I'm all about the 383. My last one was based on the Keith Black pistons that used 350 rods and the 400 crank (they move the wrist pin up closer to the oil rings)-you do have to watch out for the clearance between the rod bolts and high lift cams though. The KB pistons got rid of the issue of hogging out the bottom of the bores because of the thrust (side load) on the bottom of the bores that wasted so many sbc 400 blocks.

It is a GREAT engine!:thumb: I had it in an '83 CC LB with a plow. I have never had a truck that could plow snow since that one (as long as it was in a straight line:eek:)!

I still have the balanced and blueprinted motor....man I love that 383...I just need to find something to put it in :(...maybe my daughters truck:eek:

I voted 383!

btw, I still have a set of KB 383 0.60 over pistons NIB sitting in a shed, interested???

malibu795

misspeelleerr
Apr 28, 2007
in the buckeye state
I'm all about the 383. My last one was based on the Keith Black pistons that used 350 rods and the 400 crank (they move the wrist pin up closer to the oil rings)-you do have to watch out for the clearance between the rod bolts and high lift cams though. The KB pistons got rid of the issue of hogging out the bottom of the bores because of the thrust (side load) on the bottom of the bores that wasted so many sbc 400 blocks.
believe that is due to then oem 5.565" rod that cam in the 400s from the factory.
It is a GREAT engine!:thumb: I had it in an '83 CC LB with a plow. I have never had a truck that could plow snow since that one (as long as it was in a straight line:eek:)!

I still have the balanced and blueprinted motor....man I love that 383...I just need to find something to put it in :(...maybe my daughters truck:eek:

I voted 383!

btw, I still have a set of KB 383 0.60 over pistons NIB sitting in a shed, interested???

i would like to build another 383...

biggest catch is the 4 bolt i have is already .060 and need work done to the cylinders walls... seams none of you have caught that :eek:

i dont have then time to find a 350 block..

had i guy offer a running 400sbc block... didnt put a $$ on it... thats $$ on top of what i already have to spend.

the4wheeler

--->(Something Funny)<---
May 4, 2008
Ventura County SoCal
BBC would be my vote =)

did the cam go flat in the Malibu?

i dont know if you know about the hole oil EPA deal

but oil companys were told to remove certain elements from the oil by the EPA
those elements assisted with the brake in of the cam

oil company's did not tell the cam company's that thay changed soemthing, cam company's had 1000s of cams go flat even after proper brake in methods ( my self being one of the 1000s )

cam company's now have additive ( along with asembley lube) you must buy and dump in before you brake in the cam

(this is for Flat tappet cams roller cams dont have to worry about the additive)

Last edited: