Bought a Sierra as Donortruck - now he stay

Phoenix-LH

Aug 19, 2022
Germany
I recently have this issue as well. It will be much easier with no cab.
Today it was our last try. If it not had worked than we had remove the cab.
So i have a bit more time to find storage room for the cab equipment which will be remove for complete clean up, rust removing and new paint

Reactions: Dozerboy

Phoenix-LH

Aug 19, 2022
Germany
it is always one bolt which will not gone and need some force
20221228_095436.jpg
20221228_103959.jpg
20221228_112803.jpg
20221228_145851 (2).jpg
20221228_124355 (2).jpg
a lot of mud and of course rust but no holes or broken frame - sandblasting will shown how healthy the steel will be
i am confident, the chevy looked the same, is 20 years older and was like new after sandblasting
20221228_133059.jpg
the electrics need to be cleaned and checked - fortunately no one has tinkered with them
20221228_142745.jpg
removing seats shown a gift from preowner beside the dirt :ROFLMAO:
20221228_144545 (2).jpg
This shown the truck was never cleaned since he was import 2009 in Germany
Found it under the driverseat
The Truck had from 2007-2009 first owner in Texas. I got with delay the complete import-papers from last owner in Germany.
This is unusual. Usually with any owner gone something but this Truck have all his papers with him
So he have 4 preowner before us

Phoenix-LH

Aug 19, 2022
Germany
20221229_140008 (2).jpg
20221229_141736 (3).jpg
20221229_141711 (2).jpg
a lot of mud, rests of underbodyprotection and rust, fortunately no weak metal or holes
we need to preclean a bit otherwise sandblasting shop will take an extrafee of the dirt
20221229_141904 (2).jpg
One reason for the the terrible smooth suspensionfeeling in the cab 😅

Phoenix-LH

Aug 19, 2022
Germany
To disambling the Front axle will be take more time as expected
All is sticky
Finally it killed my 35 years old Gedore Torque wrench 😋
I want already buy a new one since some years only waiting the old one failure
20230114_133530.jpg
20230114_134258.jpg
20230114_134624.jpg
20230114_135542 (2).jpg
20230114_135414 (2).jpg

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
Just a word of advice.

A torque wrench should not be used to break bolts loose. It will throw off the accuracy in the long term.
Not to mention it can break it just as you have done here.

You need to use a breaker bar when breaking things loose with high torque values. They are designed for high leverage and also much less expensive to replace if it were to break and not have a warranty.

Reactions: Phoenix-LH

Phoenix-LH

Aug 19, 2022
Germany
he was overdue for replacement but your advice is wise and also known to us.
But since others who do not know that may also read here and then draw wrong conclusions ...

So 1Fastbrick is absolutely right who wants to scrap his torque wrench solves screws with them - so dont do this

Reactions: 1FastBrick

Phoenix-LH

Aug 19, 2022
Germany
The Engine gone to the enginebuilder tomorrow for a check up and if there is a chance for a supercharger
More important for us is that the engine will be complete checked and rebuild which is worn
20230120_194409.jpg

Reactions: gmduramax

Phoenix-LH

Aug 19, 2022
Germany
So the duramax is with the enginebuilder and we had a first talk
If we use a supercharger than we had to say goodbye to the ECM and go with a standalone Module
On this way it will lost all features in communication with other subsystems on the Truck include the Transmission which also need than a Standalone Module.
Not really recommondated.
He will check if there are other solutions for us but for now we surely not destroy the Computersystem on the Drivetrain just to have a supercharger inside.
This is not worth a supercharger for performance without bootlag
We decide also a rebuild to check the deep internals of the engine
I really have not the mood to pull the engine out again after 6 months on the road as something inside decide to break down

I am sure we will got a great engine as new back
We take on the same way back home our old 6.2 rebuild now as 6.5
For all who not know about our issue - in germany the Optimizer or also former 6.5 have no roadapproval on the Squarebodies
If i want use this engine i have an expensive testing for approval
But if i use the old 6.2 block and build it up on 6.5 specs with the original exhaust system.... its allow
Do not ask about the meaning of this law.... i am sure also the lawyers cant explain it
We had fortunately the 14Series block which are the best to drill on 6.5 without to become weak
To be save he have also the girdle inside and all other recommondated improvements on that engine.

20230121_164201 (2).jpg
Now we are waiting on the 4L80e to complete the drivetrain for the Chevy
This Transmission comes from Gearstar its a 4L80e Level 3 for Towing and a compushift TCM
Something special like that was not available in Germany - to less requests that someone go in that issue

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
I don't see why you would have to use a standalone ECU. Efilive should be able to modify the necessary parameters. Finding a tuner that would do that for you might be a problem or maybe not since your outside the USA. Maybe someone in Canada can help.

Reactions: 2004LB7

Phoenix-LH

Aug 19, 2022
Germany
he told me about the different measurement parameters of Turbo and Supercharger. I hope i explain it right to understand. I am not a mechanic and its not my native language.
He know about Efilive. We have here also strict laws on Chip Tuning. Some is allow others not.
Here you will be punished to use illegal soft/hardware for tuning not the seller of these products. You can buy all here...
Enginebuilder is in NL. Germany have other laws than NL. He have our parameters which he must fullfill to have it here streetlegal
Beside this is there also a space problem
It must stay all under the hood and real hood scoops (not just a covered air intake) need a roadapproval. The most are not allow.
It can be that we find something which work for us in any way and than i got no streetlegal for it.
So i wait about the diagnosis of the engine condition and if he found something useful for us.
If there is something than i have to talk again with the authorities for roadapproval if i got it streetlegal.

I have expierence in such talks of the Chevy rebuild
You can got all streetlegal here if you have enough money and ressources to go through all tests of safety and durability...
The complete remanufactoring of the Chevy take around 50000 Euro - to got a tuning streetlegal was additional around 20000 Euro for a max of 280 HP. We decide to much money for this and go now with the Sierra
He comes already with 360HP and can go up on 500 HP without high costs for streetlegal as long using the original engine and legal tuning.

Reactions: Dozerboy

turbovan

Too many toys!!!
Mar 4, 2018
Abbotsford, BC, Canada.
You don't mess around.
Get the stainless Dorman brake line kit, its awesome.

I had drone issues on my truck, had to build a resonator tube before the muffler, worked like a charm. Also make it quieter but still has a nice tone when getting on it.

These trucks don't have lag so if you did, the turbo was probably faulty. Also replace the up pipes while you are in there.

Can't wait to see it finished.

Why can't you turbo the 6.2? Against the law? An HX40 works wonders, wakes them right up. I have an 84 van with a 6.2, built a remote mounted turbo kit, way more fun to drive and tow.

How do they know you put a 6.5 in vs the 6.2?

Last edited:

Phoenix-LH

Aug 19, 2022
Germany
You don't mess around.
Get the stainless Dorman brake line kit, its awesome.

I had drone issues on my truck, had to build a resonator tube before the muffler, worked like a charm. Also make it quieter but still has a nice tone when getting on it.

These trucks don't have lag so if you did, the turbo was probably faulty. Also replace the up pipes while you are in there.

Can't wait to see it finished.

Why can't you turbo the 6.2? Against the law? An HX40 works wonders, wakes them right up. I have an 84 van with a 6.2, built a remote mounted turbo kit, way more fun to drive and tow.

The complete Truck will be rebuild, so brakelines also inside that issue. Thanks for the advice on Dorman Brakeline

Yes i have heard about that issue there should be no lag - but i must confess, i didnt drive him before disambling. We just bring him home and start immediatly the check up.

It will not be notice as long you havent an accident or they notice for another reason like exhaust noise ...
Fact is no police officer will just see on the engine if it is 6.2 or 6.5
But if you have an accident and they check the complete Truck it can be very bad for you if you have a part on the truck which have no roadapproval. You lose the insurance and have to bear the entire damage in addition to perhaps criminal consequences in the case of personal injury.
It is no matter if you or the other is guilty in that accident. If they control the involved vehicles than you can be fast in such an issue.

turbovan

Too many toys!!!
Mar 4, 2018
Abbotsford, BC, Canada.
Yes i have heard about that issue there should be no lag - but i must confess, i didnt drive him before disambling. We just bring him home and start immediatly the check up.

It will not be notice as long you havent an accident or they notice for another reason like exhaust noise ...
Fact is no police officer will just see on the engine if it is 6.2 or 6.5
But if you have an accident and they check the complete Truck it can be very bad for you if you have a part on the truck which have no roadapproval. You lose the insurance and have to bear the entire damage in addition to perhaps criminal consequences in the case of personal injury.
It is no matter if you or the other is guilty in that accident. If they control the involved vehicles than you can be fast in such an issue.
I had an HX35 on mine, with a Super40 compressor wheel, no lag but a bit too much emp, so I was going to put a 14cm housing on, then things changed. Will actually quieten up the exhaust, :)
The HX40 wakes up the engines, but with your laws, looks like you won't be able to do it. Just turn the pump up a bit.
That's crazy on the insurance, I thought ours was bad.

Source: https://www.youtube.com/shorts/t6gQaVpTsAw

Phoenix-LH

Aug 19, 2022
Germany
Add a turbo or a supercharger on the old block will be easier as they take the emissions of the original engine. So i have only to fullfill the demand on brake, suspension and frame. But the old block will not bear a lot of more HP. Max recommondated 220 HP also with girdle. Up on 280 HP the german roadapproval said it is ok in stock condition about 280 HP i need to improve the brake, suspension and frame with a very expensive roadapproval test
Thats why i hold any option open to improve the engine if we are not satisfy with the 180 HP he have now. He is build for tuning. Also the new transmission 4L80e is build up on a possible tuning - so that we are in a save way.
I dont want have again a damage just by driving the truck in the traffic. To enter highway we have here around 80-100 km/h to go in the line. The 40to truck usually goes with 80-90 kmg/h on highways allow is 80 km/h for them. So if you dont want to be an obstacle for others you drive minimum 90 km/h that brought the engine in the past always in the red zone by using highways daily about 30 km.
Result was cracked head, pistonrod bearings heat damage - but engine was still running ...

We dont go immideatly in that tuning as the Chevy will stay as oldtimer and not in daily use or as working truck.

The Sierra is already on 360HP and very fast...:love:
the 450 km home had i several time problems to follow. You know we have no speed limit on Highways also if the most is limitted but there are still passages without limits
And i drive a fast car Volvo C30 D5 ...
He was not on the floor and run about 170 km/h on passages where it was free and less other cars - not in this situation. I do not make pictures in highspeed
20220813_174451.jpg
Tuning on the Sierra is possible up on 500 HP without improving frame, brakes and suspension = stock condition for us here in Germany.
The LBZ shall bear 600 HP
So we are here also in the save way if we want improve HP. But i dont think that this is really necessary.
170 km/h with a Truck in that size is enough at all.

Reactions: turbovan

Phoenix-LH

Aug 19, 2022
Germany
The frontaxle is a really rusty beast
We dont want destroy so we take care and try to use not the hard way
none of the bolts went easy and it took a long time for just got off this parts
20230128_114640 (2).jpg
20230128_114645.jpg
20230128_120337.jpg
20230128_120837.jpg

turbovan

Too many toys!!!
Mar 4, 2018
Abbotsford, BC, Canada.
Add a turbo or a supercharger on the old block will be easier as they take the emissions of the original engine. So i have only to fullfill the demand on brake, suspension and frame. But the old block will not bear a lot of more HP. Max recommondated 220 HP also with girdle. Up on 280 HP the german roadapproval said it is ok in stock condition about 280 HP i need to improve the brake, suspension and frame with a very expensive roadapproval test
Thats why i hold any option open to improve the engine if we are not satisfy with the 180 HP he have now. He is build for tuning. Also the new transmission 4L80e is build up on a possible tuning - so that we are in a save way.
I dont want have again a damage just by driving the truck in the traffic. To enter highway we have here around 80-100 km/h to go in the line. The 40to truck usually goes with 80-90 kmg/h on highways allow is 80 km/h for them. So if you dont want to be an obstacle for others you drive minimum 90 km/h that brought the engine in the past always in the red zone by using highways daily about 30 km.
Result was cracked head, pistonrod bearings heat damage - but engine was still running ...

We dont go immideatly in that tuning as the Chevy will stay as oldtimer and not in daily use or as working truck.
Not sure what your rear gears are but mine are 3.08's, perfect for cruising.
A turbo with the ip turned up wont' stress the engine, I was running 22 psi for years, but I also studded the heads, as the original 84 head gaskets didn't like some boost, lol.
These IDI engines crave boost.
I would think being a Military truck, its probably got 4:10's so yeah, not good for German highways.
The 4l80 will help tame some rpm as it probably has the 400, mine has the speed 700r4.

Keep up the good work, nice to see someone still doing stuff like this. :)

Phoenix-LH

Aug 19, 2022
Germany
Not sure what your rear gears are but mine are 3.08's, perfect for cruising.
A turbo with the ip turned up wont' stress the engine, I was running 22 psi for years, but I also studded the heads, as the original 84 head gaskets didn't like some boost, lol.
These IDI engines crave boost.
I would think being a Military truck, its probably got 4:10's so yeah, not good for German highways.
The 4l80 will help tame some rpm as it probably has the 400, mine has the speed 700r4.

Keep up the good work, nice to see someone still doing stuff like this. :)
Well we have 4.56 rear as this is the ratio of MSeries Pickups 4x4 and the TH400/Np208 combo. 4.10 is on the K5 / Blazer. In combination with original tires 235/80R16 ..... fate took its course. 25y ago we had not that knowledge like today about that engine. And dashboard is really empty no aditional gauges like watertemp. oiltemp. oilpress. or a speedometer. We had use aftermarket addtional Gauges in the past but dont use a speedometer.
Now we store the original cluster, Th400, Np208 ... and use Dacota digital, 4l80e, Np205. About the history value is all we do on the truck of our choice possible to undo as only original have the truck the highest value as oldtimer. Thats why we also stay with 24V starter system, originalpaint, blacklights and equipment. It is original M1008 and not K30. To make a civilian version will decrease the oldtimervalue. It take a lot of money to renew the truck and you could buy for it a new Pickup. If we are ready than the truck have 0 miles on all beside the bare metal.

We doing still this stuff as we are the same generation like the squarebodies 😅 the electronic/computer technic of newer trucks is not our "world". For this we have grown up our son which is today a car and truck mechatronic - in germany is this the name for that profession. Our generation named car and mechanics as it wasnt electronics in the past on the vehicles where you need computers for diagnosis and repairs.
Be sure we dont connect alone the 4l80e and Dacota digital. Our son will supervise us in that case. It is wise to know for someone to take advise if they dont know to do the job.

Our enginebuilder knows us well as he remind to bring with the engine also the ECM. I must confess we had forget that important part if he not remind us 🤣

Phoenix-LH

Aug 19, 2022
Germany
so the frontaxle lost the game - seperation is mostly done
We pulled it out together and than use a lot of heat for separation the torsion bars
20230129_101821 (2).jpg
20230129_110642 (2).jpg
20230129_124618 (2).jpg
i am not sure how this truck pass the 2year road approval 4 months before we buy the truck with this damages on all rubber cover of the joints...
this is usually a damage where you failed this check and you need to repair before you get the next two year road approval
20230129_124130.jpg
20230129_133756 (2).jpg

Reactions: turbovan