Bought a Sierra as Donortruck - now he stay

Phoenix-LH

Aug 19, 2022
Germany
i am always impressed how good sandblasting done its job
IMG-20230216-WA0002.jpg
IMG-20230216-WA0004.jpg
now we have to think about how we want go on
Do we make a decent lift to have option open for other rims if available or do we stay in stockcondition .... later to buy twice is stupid.
I have just take a short research on lifts for the 2007 Sierra, all about 3 inch is to high and not our goal
It will be again a funny talk for roadapproval - as its not allow to change stock suspension or rims/tires without again a roadapproval of safety.

Reactions: gmduramax

gmduramax

Shits broke
Jun 12, 2008
Nor cal
i am always impressed how good sandblasting done its job
View attachment 113131
View attachment 113132
now we have to think about how we want go on
Do we make a decent lift to have option open for other rims if available or do we stay in stockcondition .... later to buy twice is stupid.
I have just take a short research on lifts for the 2007 Sierra, all about 3 inch is to high and not our goal
It will be again a funny talk for roadapproval - as its not allow to change stock suspension or rims/tires without again a roadapproval of safety.
You can gain about 1 inch just from cranking the torsion bars. Longer shocks are a must. With aftermarket upper control arms you can gain about 1.5-2 inch higher while still having a decent ride. Not sure if aftermarket upper control arms will pass your road approval 🤷🏻‍♂️

Phoenix-LH

Aug 19, 2022
Germany
You can gain about 1 inch just from cranking the torsion bars. Longer shocks are a must. With aftermarket upper control arms you can gain about 1.5-2 inch higher while still having a decent ride. Not sure if aftermarket upper control arms will pass your road approval 🤷🏻‍♂️
I know that cranking torsion bars can be used for minimal lift but it is not really recommondated. As you said if i want just also a decent lift of 2 inch does this require exchange suspension parts. So we should make this descision before we now renew the suspension in the rebuild process.
The route here for me is like usual on US Cars: Talk with roadapproval engineer about the parts of our choice if they will got streetlegal here before purchase them.

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
Since you are doing this much work and have everything apart already, it would be really easy to just cut the tabs and mounts off that the upper and lower A arms attach to and reweld them a little lower. Maybe drop them one inch and then with minimal cranking of the torsion bars you can have the lift you want with it looking stock for the road inspection

Phoenix-LH

Aug 19, 2022
Germany
This will not work here as it is not allow to weld on the frame specially not on the suspension. This is only allow by a certificated car and truck builder shop. Also if we hold a certification for welding it is not for vehicleframes. So we cant do it ourself with streetlegal.
I am still not sure if we want go on that troublesome road for just other rims. I like to have a stocklooking truck with a tiger in the tank. So the engine and suspensionimprovemt on the HP is the first goal. But it is always so one idea bring the next.... i dont want buy twice a suspension by learn that my rims i want to have include streetlegal here needs a lift

Last edited:
Reactions: 2004LB7

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
What tires, wheels, and wheel offset do you I want to run? 35" tires are do able with the right wheels and offset. Especially if to don't mind trimming the fender. I like Bushwacker Cut outs myself.

Phoenix-LH

Aug 19, 2022
Germany
Cut out will not be a problem for us. We are metal and machineengineering professionals. Just now didn't think in that issue. Just collect the options before purchase anything.
On the chevy i hadn't think all options as to improve steering i had also choose the overcross-steering. This had demand a minimal lift of 2 inch. I had purchased complete new heavy duty suspension before knowing of this option. So the Chevy miss this. He just stay with pitmen and u-joint steering instead the old Hardysteering system. It was in the past a horrible ride with him. You had need of the worn steering and suspension the complete line and faster than 50 miles was not only about the bad drivetrain 6.2/TH400/4.56 rear terrible. To change this now result in changing the most of suspension again.
I dont want make the same fault again.
I guess i got in the next 4 weeks response from enginebuilder about the condition and recommondated improvements also if we dont need more HP does i never say i have enough if i can gain more dependent on the improvement and the costs of it .... 😇😅
The chevy is a money investment of an oldtimer this limited improvements but the Sierra is our Funproject where we can still realize our childhooddreams🥳only limited by law of streetlegal and money

Still i like the stockappearance where you not see what is inside with a decent trim that make him unique. All our vehicles are unique.

Phoenix-LH

Aug 19, 2022
Germany
Thanks Turbovan
we are looking on a reliable brand for adjustable Control Arms
It is more expensive, but at least worth the money to us

Maybe someone can help me out as always i found on the vehicle list by model choice two different version for our Model
Sierra 2500 HD and Sierra 2500 HD Classic
Papers say it is 2500 HD Classic 4WD but nowhere i find something about the Submodel/Features and what is include this
Internet have different Information about that and all required it - so i should know where i find this for our truck...
There is a barcode on the chassis but i have no Barcodereader...
Our chevy had oldschool sticker inside the chassis with all informations
And about the VIN could i also figure some details out

2500HD Classic.jpg 2500 HD Classic Submodel.jpg

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
The LBZ was made up to 2007 and a half and is the classic as it retained the classic look from the earlier years. Then half way through 2007 GM did a redesign for the LMM model. This is still considered an 07 model but not the classic. Yours is definitely the classic

Glove box would normally contain a sticker with all the RPO codes for all the options included with the vehicle along with the paint colors too. And what sub model if you can't find the badge on the cab

If you have a vin number some members here can look it up and give you a break down of what the vehicle has. The barcode you found is probably just the vin number for people like the smog station guy to be able to scan it for his machine. Nothing special

Last edited:
Reactions: turbovan

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
The bare code on the chassis was for the assembly process. This was to make sure the chassis was configured correctly as it recieved it parts coming down the assembly line and that the correct body was matted to the correct chassis.

They track everything during the assembly process in case there is a deffect in materials or workmanship. If a vehicle has a warranty claim, they can look back and see what happened. If a vehicle recievs a defective part, they can look back and see when it was installed and how many vehicles recieved parts from that batch or supplier. I think that tag also has a base alignment spec for the suspension.

Attachments

• 20221022_124757.jpg
    20221022_124757.jpg
    495 KB · Views: 9

Phoenix-LH

Aug 19, 2022
Germany
thanks 1FastBrick - never seen such before.
We didnt have such in Germany. If a part failure in a Serie, will be the complete Serie got a recall to the shops...

20221112_093316z.jpg

So it was good to save it with a pic
Looks really still good for 15 years...
For 15 years and several owners is it not usual that this all is in that good condition
He comes also with his usermanual and all importpapers
Fortunately none of the preowners touched electric or others parts of the truck
So nothing is messed up

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
CJ3 - AIR CONDITIONER,FRONT,MANUAL TEMPERATURE CONTROL,AUXILIARY TEMPERATURE CONTROL

DE2 - MIRROR,OUTSIDE,LH & RH,DIRECT CONTROL,FOLDING,PAINTED

MW7 - TRANSMISSION AUTO 6 SPD, ALLISON, LCT 1000, 3.10 1ST, .71 5TH .62 6TH, O/D, CONV CLUTCH

LBZ - ENGINE DIESEL, 8 CYL, 6.6L, DI, V8, TURBO-HIGH, HO DURAMAX

NP2 - TRANSFER CASE,MANUAL SHIFT CONTROL,TWO SPEED

TQ3 - BATTERY 770 CCA (DUAL)

JH6 - BRAKE HYD POWER, 4 WHL DISC, 9,900 LBS

K34 - CRUISE CONTROL,AUTOMATIC,ELECTRONIC

GMC - PLANT CODE PONTIAC, MI, GM T&B

KUP - THROTTLE CONTROL VARIABLE SPEED (ELECTRONIC)

Reactions: Phoenix-LH

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
thanks 1FastBrick - never seen such before.
We didnt have such in Germany. If a part failure in a Serie, will be the complete Serie got a recall to the shops...

View attachment 113283

So it was good to save it with a pic
Looks really still good for 15 years...
For 15 years and several owners is it not usual that this all is in that good condition
He comes also with his usermanual and all importpapers
Fortunately none of the preowners touched electric or others parts of the truck
So nothing is messed up
Yes that is the tag on the body for when it goes down the assembly line those are some of the codes for how the truck is configured.

Phoenix-LH

Aug 19, 2022
Germany
Yes i am always surprised about the results
So i have hope that the rusty frame come out in same good condition
It is a lot of dirt with the rust on the parts so it look more worse at it is
The Truck had not seen often a Clean up

Phoenix-LH

Aug 19, 2022
Germany
we go on slowly... beside the sandblasting we are also still working on the chevy
IMG-20230307-WA0002 (2).jpg
this time i also measured weight before and after sandblasting just to know how much is lost
IMG-20230308-WA0000 (2).jpg

IMG-20230308-WA0001 (2).jpg