Bought a Sierra as Donortruck - now he stay

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
I will have soon a talk with the enginebuilder about the testresults and a possible conversion on supercharger instead turbo

Superchargers are a bad idea on the Duramax. They are prone to breaking cranks as is. I believe the added stress of a belt driven Supercharger only makes that worse. Obviously there are options in increase the strength, but they ain't cheap.

Phoenix-LH

Aug 19, 2022
Germany
that looks more like a bad expansion bottle / reservoir cap then bad radiator hose. if you loosen the cap does the hose return to normal?
Unfortunately it does not turn to normal with loosen the cap.
As all will be disconnect cleaned and all rubberparts new hopefully it solve that issue.
If we change turbo to supercharger will this also include a balancetest and checking of the commonrailsystem. But first is the complete rebuild planed. He run well with turbo it is just our preference.
We are not rich, we have to save first money like all of the common people to be able to afford something. So first come the necessary work and then the fun on the Sierra.

To got new Batteries, as them are weak, in Germany which fit is difficult specially if you want a reliable brand. The chevy is convert on european connections and use a different size of his 2 Batts as CUCV 24V Startersystem. We customid the brackets but the Sierra have no space for that. The only brand until now i could got here is Exide. No hurry in that issue as we dont need them before next autumn.

Phoenix-LH

Aug 19, 2022
Germany
Superchargers are a bad idea on the Duramax. They are prone to breaking cranks as is. I believe the added stress of a belt driven Supercharger only makes that worse. Obviously there are options in increase the strength, but they ain't cheap.
Our goal is not increase the power, we want eliminate the boost lag. We also will not do this convert ourself. This will be done by an professional duramax enginebuilder. I know it is possible and that it is not cheap. So it wait until we finished the rebuild. The enginebuilder ask for the compressiontest before thinking in any case. So we will see what he will advice. And there is another thing here in germany. No changes on stock vehicles without a new roadapproval/certification by the office here called TÜV. Maybe this office prevent also this customizing. I need to ask with all technical informations about the changes befor going on with this. To swap a duramax in an old squarebody will result here in a very expensive testing. Thats why we have now 2 Trucks. The chevy stay in oldtimer stock condition as historical MV and the Sierra will be our working Truck. Fortunately the drivetrain is in a good condition, so that we primary only need to rebuild frame, axles, suspension, cab and cargobox. Still enough work and money consuming.

Reactions: Dozerboy

Phoenix-LH

Aug 19, 2022
Germany
During we wait on parts for the Chevy restoration does we continue disambling the Sierra
It need a lot of more time to disambling as a lot of plastic clamps and additional brackets are to loose.
Motor 1.png
Motor 2.png
20221217_115641 (2).jpg 20221217_122715 (2).jpg
20221217_144434 (2).jpg
the first lost as we need to flex it to open
20221217_143730.jpg
20221217_141727.jpg(y):ROFLMAO:
20221217_151551 (2).jpg
TC is in a good condition without leaking, the wet is of disambling
20221217_151306.jpg

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Even if the Transfer case is in good condition, you may still want to address the pump-rub problem if it hasnt been done in the past.
This will help explain it: https://www.motortrend.com/how-to/ppe-diesel-gm-pump-rub-kit-install/
I think it sucks that PPE directly copied Merchant's original design and markets it as their own. "R and D" indeed.
You can buy the plate kits just about anywhere now.

Phoenix-LH

Aug 19, 2022
Germany
Even if the Transfer case is in good condition, you may still want to address the pump-rub problem if it hasnt been done in the past.
This will help explain it: https://www.motortrend.com/how-to/ppe-diesel-gm-pump-rub-kit-install/
I think it sucks that PPE directly copied Merchant's original design and markets it as their own. "R and D" indeed.
You can buy the plate kits just about anywhere now.
Thanks to remind on that and give me the link of more information. I have the recommondated upgradelist for the LBZ. All will be done in our rebuild.

Phoenix-LH

Aug 19, 2022
Germany
So i got it - finally the Bedliner is in the most amount removed
20221220_114527.jpg
I like to have symmetrie on the Truck and so i am looking for a system with two rear end pipes
Let me know if anyone have a source for that
IMG-20221219-WA0000.jpgIMG-20221219-WA0001.jpg
again a lost but doesnt matter as we want have rocksliders not these steps
20221219_121858.jpg
Salt and aluminium - a combination which not survive long
20221219_125046.jpg
20221219_121844.jpg

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
I don't know if they are still available Flo~Pro and MBRP had them. I know other companies used to have them but they all seem to be discontinued an no longer available.

I see the FLo Pro kit and an open box MBRP kit on Ebay.

Reactions: Phoenix-LH

Phoenix-LH

Aug 19, 2022
Germany
Thanks i will check it.
It is usual here in Germany that it start to discontinue parts after 10 years of release. So i am used in this issues

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard

This used kit popped up near me. But I don't know how I would ship it to you.

Phoenix-LH

Aug 19, 2022
Germany
Thanks 1FastBrick, i have also found on Ebay that offer
I cant open the used offer, but usually i need to long for checking that the most seller dont want wait this time
But I have to check the restrictions here for emission and noise before i can use a Kit from the USA
That mean i need from any Kit the technical specification and than i have to check if it will pass our roadapproval here.

i have learned in 40 years car and motorbike tuning that it is senseless to discuss with the authorities.
They follow just only the law - to talk before any tuning with them is the best way to have a cooperation with them

Beside this i have an export supplier so that i can buy parts by seller who dont ship to Germany.
95% of the Parts for our Chevy was bought in USA as here the most is not available or much more expensive.

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
Thanks 1FastBrick, i have also found on Ebay that offer
I cant open the used offer, but usually i need to long for checking that the most seller dont want wait this time
But I have to check the restrictions here for emission and noise before i can use a Kit from the USA
That mean i need from any Kit the technical specification and than i have to check if it will pass our roadapproval here.

i have learned in 40 years car and motorbike tuning that it is senseless to discuss with the authorities.
They follow just only the law - to talk before any tuning with them is the best way to have a cooperation with them

Beside this i have an export supplier so that i can buy parts by seller who dont ship to Germany.
95% of the Parts for our Chevy was bought in USA as here the most is not available or much more expensive.
Ok, Good!

Phoenix-LH

Aug 19, 2022
Germany

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Most aftermarket Duramax exhausts will be louder than stock. I remember that some people bought resonators and added them to their systems to knock down noise levels and drone. Not sure if any are still available anymore, though.

Phoenix-LH

Aug 19, 2022
Germany
A nice sound is wellcome not loud but they are here very strict. Police can measure dB and if yours is to much the Truck will take immediatly of traffic. Not allow to drive just any mile. You need a towing truck to take him home. Additional high punishment fees and the truck need a new expensive roadapproval to got road licence again. Beside of course emmisioncontrol. This will control here every 2nd year in roadlicence during the technical test (also every 2nd year).
So we try to find a way for having dual stainless steel exhaust with stock specs but without loosing also power.
We failed in that case on the chevy. He got now stainless steel mufflers and the rest pipes in aluminized steel like stock condition.
Maybe it is also the only solution for the Sierra

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
Maybe someone can get you a dB reading off their truck to give you an idea what your work with. If you can give us some more details of the tests. How far away is the Meter durring the stopped test? Can you explain the criteria for the driveby test a little better?

Phoenix-LH

Aug 19, 2022
Germany
It is what noted in the Truck technical papers which is a part of road licence.
The noise measurement ist outside not in the Cab
Our Chevy have no insulation and about 6o Miles you can talk and understand each other in the Cab
Also a way to restrict speed.😅

There is like all in Germany a long list of rules to follow
I attached a description and used a translator for it... hope it is useful to read ;)
Also on German language is the reading of that tiring
Scroll down to the end, there a 3 pics in the PDF which schon the measurement points

Police doesnt make a DIN Measurement
They use some points of that procedere and if this shown a big difference...
They cant take you out for 1-2 db difference
If you be detected than you go to a technical testing and DIN Measurement, which you have of course to pay yourself.
Can you bring the proove it is measured like the papers shown all will be payed by goverment
Usually they pick tuned Motorbikes and Sportcars out with aftermarket loud exhaust systems

Attachments

• Noise Measurement.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 4

Phoenix-LH

Aug 19, 2022
Germany
Never need so long to remove an engine and transmission... but finally done
The installation will be made in the chassis without cabin and bed - much easier(y)
20221227_133635 (2).jpg
20221227_115830 (2).jpg
20221227_130617.jpg
20221227_133040.jpg