bml2200's Engine Build Thread

Rhall

Old Skooler
Aug 12, 2006
Texas Y'all
going with arais forged here... havent heard many good things about the mahle forged.

buddy blew through a set of stock cut & coated pistons within 300 miles lol wont be going that route either.

I dont know where your going to get arais, maybe arias?

What bad things have you heard about the mahle forged? Or is it you just havent heard many good things? Maybe you dont talk to a lot of people running them? I remember camo max' issue, but i havent seen a lot of other issues? Maybe i just missed them.

If your buddies stock cut and coated pistons didnt last 300miles, he had another issue to begin with like piston already cracked, bad injectors, bad tuning ect ect, or he drove like an idiot. My guess is big power wasnt the issue since people have made them last.

bml2200

Oct 16, 2008
IL
sucks to hear that. You've just made the rather short list of guys that have bent aftermarket rods. Are you sure its only 1?

Yup, just one. It sucks because everything was already balanced so I had to get a specific weight rod from Crower which shipped yesterday and won't arrive til next Monday which means optimistically I will be installing my engine until next weekend.

bml2200

Oct 16, 2008
IL
Got the truck running today finally. Big boost leak somewhere. Can barely hear the turbos spool. Doesn't seem to be an exhaust leak though, no exhaust from under the hood. I'm thinking it's leaking from the y-bridge. Other than that, the IAT sensor is giving me problems.

bml2200

Oct 16, 2008
IL
I was wrong, random miscellaneous boost leaks but got everything sealed up. Here was the damage:
368.jpg

367.jpg

1 cracked piston and 5 more starting to crack and 1 bent Crower rod.

Test Drive:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMg8wt_kx7g&list=UUpYQYzC-CVOQQQdL-pJOL8A&index=2&feature=plcp

Another test drive where I blow a boot off:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dH7GgFrSsio&list=UUpYQYzC-CVOQQQdL-pJOL8A&index=1&feature=plcp

I am installing a new belt tensioner, belt, and changing the oil since the engine is broken in. Next is some Monster Auto tow mirrors to go on followed by a new grill.

Also the first video Youtube "fixed" the shakiness which is why it looks like an acid dream, and second anyone feel free to fix my fail of embedding the videos.