bml2200's Engine Build Thread

whitelmmmax

Smaller than stock
Jul 26, 2011
lake charles, la
its a little late now that you have already purchased pistons but i remember a while back on here there was a huge thread that got muddied up something terrible about steel dmax pistons. not really sure what the final outcome of the thread was, but maybe that would be something to look into as well, since you are already having everything balanced and the socal dampener. either way, good luck!!:thumb:

bml2200

Oct 16, 2008
IL
The steel montherms won't be released until sometime the summer and will be considerably more expensive it sounds like. I'd love to have them in this build but time isn't permitting me to.

-Bust'em: Engine has Crowers from first build.

DIESELMAFIAPER.LB7

<----new hotness
Jan 17, 2010
idaho
shop.dieselmafiaperformance.com
Yes and no ;) How big did you go? Were did they start % wise before Exergy got them? When I had my 45% injectors from Dipper,, Exergy said they would not enlarge/hone them to 100 overs due to previous attempts/complications. He did say he would take my stock (used set) to 100% or my already 45% injectors to a maximum of 60%.....

Ive had a 15% over srt done to 60% and my 45% are going to 60% or ill buy new 100% nozzles not ure yet he said no problem to me but ge also hasnt looked my particular set

Rhall

Old Skooler
Aug 12, 2006
Texas Y'all
couldnt tell you offhand, just read in a handful of threads that people are only getting 20,000 mi or so before they are wearing out. i should prolly do some more research myself because ill probably be needing some before long

How many miles are people getting out of arias pistons then? Most people i know that run them are dedicated pullers and racers.

Rhall

Old Skooler
Aug 12, 2006
Texas Y'all
I was looking into arias when i cracked a stocker (after 3 years of 1000hp range). I still think the only reason it cracked was 1-1.5 minute spool up times at 1800 degrees plus. Arias seemed to have a price increase lately from what i have seen, and their ETA for what i wanted was a couple weeks, it was july, no way i was going to set for a couple of weeks, so i got a real good deal on a set of mahles. I guess well see how they hold up under big power. I know of a lot of big hp pullers that havent had a problem with them, but i do remember camo max' epic fail.

Trippin

SoCal Diesel
Aug 10, 2006
I was talking to an engine builder today that said they got 10,000 miles from the Ross or Arias pistons in a Cummins.:(

ripmf666

Sep 20, 2006
Wentzville Mo
I was talking to an engine builder today that said they got 10,000 miles from the Ross or Arias pistons in a Cummins.:(

Guy it was what 130,000 miles on that hot shot hauler. We were talking about at Sema with the Forged Mahle pistons and the coating was just showing wear on the rings and lands?

bml2200

Oct 16, 2008
IL
Two quick questions: How do you prime the engine oil system? Turn it over by the dampener bolt? Also is a crank relearn necessary before the first start?

ripmf666

Sep 20, 2006
Wentzville Mo
Two quick questions: How do you prime the engine oil system? Turn it over by the dampener bolt? Also is a crank relearn necessary before the first start?

No relearn needed. And there is a tool made to prime the oil system. I used the one from gm and the part number is here. Tom made one from a pressure slayer and some fittings there is a thread around here on that also. Must have the filter on the motor. There is plugs and then there is your oil pressure sensor you prime it thru there. You pump about 3 qts in about til you see oil come out the turbo feed line that you leave loose. Then tighten and prime more then just fill oil pan wit the rest of the 2 1/2 gallons left over.

Ok here is the Gm tool.
http://www.duramaxdiesels.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6143&highlight=oil+prime

And the one Tom made and worked great.
http://www.duramaxdiesels.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24681&highlight=oil+prime

Last edited:

bml2200

Oct 16, 2008
IL
Learned something sweet, I bent the Crower rod .040-.050" so now I need a new one before my engine can be put back together. This was in cylinder 1, cracked the piston in number 4.

bml2200

Oct 16, 2008
IL
The injectors checked out. The old tunes were junk compared to the new ones. Either it was the elevation and crappy tunes or just crappy tunes before it got retuned but apparently that's enough to bend an aftermarket rod.

Schwinn68

little gearhead
Jan 9, 2008
Minooka IL
sucks to hear that. You've just made the rather short list of guys that have bent aftermarket rods. Are you sure its only 1?

taylorbok

Jan 31, 2011
I have a few questions sorry guys.

Do diesel pistons typically just crack, cause I deal with 2 stroke motors and a piston in those normally melts, turns a ring and scores the cylinder, if a piston cracks is the cylinder in a diesel normally good still?

I want to build my motor but I dont want to be re ringing ever year so from this thread I have gathered to get stock pistons, cut and coated and new rings? I dont know if I will ever take this truck over 800hp.

also how much over size nozzles will I need, I have a set of used 30% over coming that I plan to send off to exergy or extrude hone to get reworked

Jscherbs

PIN IT TO WIN IT!!!
Oct 27, 2009
Canton, MI
going with arais forged here... havent heard many good things about the mahle forged.

buddy blew through a set of stock cut & coated pistons within 300 miles lol wont be going that route either.

Last edited:

taylorbok

Jan 31, 2011
how about mahle cast I would rather go with a new set of pistons than get mine cut and coated but dont want to replace rings every 30,000 mi