bml2200's Engine Build Thread

bml2200

Oct 16, 2008
IL
Apparently its a bad idea to DD on an 800rwhp+ tune, no fun driving on a 600 tune though. Pretty sure I cracked or blew a hole through a cast cut and coated piston. Thought I'd be safe with those pistons but the white smoke coming out the exhaust, massive amounts of blow by, violent rock, and blown front and rear main seals tell a different story. Hoping for a cracked piston and not a broken crank. Truck broke on a WOT run with the race tune.

Current set up:
Crower rods
Cut and coated SoCal pistons
Arp 625 Head studs and main studs
SoCal Stage 1 Heads
Comp Cams Cam
Everything Keyed
80% Big Dipper Injectors
RDL Manifolds and Up Pipes
MPI S366 and s480 Twins
PPE Dual Fueler
Banks IC
All of the rest supporting mods: Suncoast Stage 4, 1056, Fass 260, etc

New Set Up:
Mahle Forged Pistons
ATI Dampner
Tigged Waterpump

Maybe:
SoCal Stage 2 Heads
RDL Extreme Headers and Up Pipes
100% Exergy Injectors (1 of the Big Dippers went bad and was replaced already, 2 more had questionable balance rates which might have caused the engine failure)
Different cam made for valve relief cut pistons
ML Converter (defuels bad at <WOT, WOT spooled launches shifts great)

Goals:
900rwhp DD that that doesn't explode.

Going to pull and disassemble the engine over Thanksgiving break and tear it down starting tonight. Will have the machining done in December and put it back together over Christmas break.

Questions:
I saw Chevy1925's build thread, he pulled the front clip and am considering this as well for simplicity's sake. Only difference is that this is a NNBS and his is a NBS, is it still worth doing? Or can I get away with leaving the clip on? Want to keep AC lines intact. Also truck has a 4" Cognito. Already read BMDmax's engine removal guide.

Engine disassembly do's and don'ts? I know about the rear engine plate and to remove it before mounting onto engine stand already, label everything etc. I have the GM instructions for everything as well from a friend that works at the dealership.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
It will be tough to keep your a/c lines intact on the condensor. im almost 100% postiive you will have to take those off as i dont think there is enough room to swing the condensor around and out of the way to pull the motor. even if you do, you will be fighting around it the whole time running the risk of punching a hole in it.

When brian finally bends his rods, im gunna talk him into taking his whole front clip off in a chunk like i did to see if its much harder or what. I cant fairly say its easier to do it my way than others since my truck body is heavily modded compared to most

jraymer

<--Tree Hugger
Oct 31, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
Engine disassembly do's and don'ts? I know about the rear engine plate and to remove it before mounting onto engine stand already, label everything etc. I have the GM instructions for everything as well from a friend that works at the dealership.

May be a silly question but is there a specific removal process for head bolts? Or do you just whizz them out of there any which way?

smkndmax05

"Smoked Out"
Feb 17, 2011
Indiana
Idk how to explain but the motor came out then straight up and out the drivers side front. Fenders are still on the truck as well. I can take pics this weekend:thumb:

zeke38

Sep 29, 2009
Newark, IL
Whiz em out.
I went a little over kill with mine but i took out engine, trans, and transfer case together.uploadfromtaptalk1322113627127.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1322113727095.jpg

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1322113627127.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1322113627127.jpg
    12 KB · Views: 151
  • uploadfromtaptalk1322113727095.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1322113727095.jpg
    12 KB · Views: 137

bml2200

Oct 16, 2008
IL
Got almost everything disconnected/taken off. I don't see any other way but to take apart the AC, hopefully daylight will show me something that I'm not seeing. One question, which part do I have to make sure I seal off so the desiccant doesn't get ruined? The heater core?

Stingpuller

The Pusher Man
Jan 11, 2007
central Ohio
Sorry for the bad luck

I would also suggest looking at the Arias pistons. I'm not a big fan of the Mahle. Get on the webby and look at the differance between 2618 and 4032 for pistons. Jeff

Last edited:

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Got almost everything disconnected/taken off. I don't see any other way but to take apart the AC, hopefully daylight will show me something that I'm not seeing. One question, which part do I have to make sure I seal off so the desiccant doesn't get ruined? The heater core?

Its the cylinder looking silver thing against your firewall that has heat reflectant stuff around its base. There should be two silver a/c hoses comin off it. Make sure to take both hoses off it and plug them very well. Worst case you go buy a new one for 30 bucks. They are technically a "replacment item" anytime the a/c system is opened up

Maricopaagent

Glamis Anyone?
Oct 10, 2011
Arizona
Its the cylinder looking silver thing against your firewall that has heat reflectant stuff around its base. There should be two silver a/c hoses comin off it. Make sure to take both hoses off it and plug them very well. Worst case you go buy a new one for 30 bucks. They are technically a "replacment item" anytime the a/c system is opened up

Its your 'filter' for A/C system...I would buy a new one and dont open it till your ready to reinstall and charge...

quadracer37

Mar 31, 2009
northern, IL
this thread makes me want to stop driving on a 950hp tune with my stock pistons :(
im going arias when my stockers crack. i have heard of better luck in DD applications with them, and i beleive you can get them a bit cheaper than mahles.
i think 100 over is the biggest that exergy can go with stock nozzles after that you need the bosch performance ones, which might not be a bad idea because as of right now i think you will need to buy new ones anyways because not sure if exergy will want to mess with nozzles that have already been worked by someone esle, maybe im wrong though.

quadracer37

Mar 31, 2009
northern, IL
also! i would recomend welding the gear AND the impeller onto the water pump shaft!! my impeller feel off last week and i overheated :( luckily napa replaced it for me this time, must not have seen the welded gear :D which is probably the reason the impeller came loose because the shaft was heated from the welding and then cooled. so currently on waterpump #4 haha

quadracer37

Mar 31, 2009
northern, IL
I thought arias wasn't good for daily driving because the rings won't last?

none of the aftermarket forged pistons are really "great" for daily driving because the ring lands wear, but ive "heard" of better luck with the arias vs the mahle. so take it how ya want it, either way they are both gonna wear faster than a cast.