Big Dipper Injectors

codyn

Aug 26, 2007
urbana ohio
My trucks seem to perform well in the past, with common sense, I believe they will continue to do so.

Hopefully. This should be a good test. I like the idea of getting the fuel into the bowl where it belongs. Problem that I see is the increased C.P. and these weak pistons. I've got over 200 passes and many other abuse tests on this truck without fail, so if it now goes boooooooooooom, then we'll maybe know more. Or maybe not, these damn LBZ pistons are a crap shoot.

so do mine but there are different ways of cutting injectors all im trying to say. so saying that your 30% could be different then another set cut at 30%

Last edited:

slowlmm

Mar 2, 2008
so cal
My trucks seem to perform well in the past, with common sense, I believe they will continue to do so.

Hopefully. This should be a good test. I like the idea of getting the fuel into the bowl where it belongs. Problem that I see is the increased C.P. and these weak pistons. I've got over 200 passes and many other abuse tests on this truck without fail, so if it now goes boooooooooooom, then we'll maybe know more. Or maybe not, these damn LBZ pistons are a crap shoot.

how many miles on ur truck rob ?

slowlmm

Mar 2, 2008
so cal
Rob do you think lessening the PW, and improving atomization will dec. the possability of blowing a hole in the pistons with your setup?

I thought bigger holes = less atomization smaller hole more atomization or more holes and smaller holes = more atomization :confused:

slowlmm

Mar 2, 2008
so cal
I think having the fuel injected right at the bowl makes atomization more complete, if that makes sense.

NOt really :) someone smarter then me will answer this question thoe im :confused: but in my mind bigger hole = bigger dropplet more fuel at the same presure will atomize less. But i could be totaly wrong

codyn

Aug 26, 2007
urbana ohio
NOt really :) someone smarter then me will answer this question thoe im :confused: but in my mind bigger hole = bigger dropplet more fuel at the same presure will atomize less. But i could be totaly wrong

some of it is turbo size to much fuel and it will atomize less. fuel pressure has some to do with it to.

Roc8man

May 8, 2008
Diesel power is limited by the speed at which air can be mixed with the fuel and how well it mixes. With a fixed amount of fuel desired for a particular point in time, smaller holes have better atomization because the fuel mixes faster with air (good) but takes longer (higher PW's to get that fixed amount of fuel to the engine is not good) to enter the engine whereas larger holes allow the fuel to enter the engine faster (which is good) but mixes slower (not good) and therefore takes longer for the fuel to mix with the air. As the number of holes in the injector increases, the spacing between them decreases and with too many holes, the sprays starts to overlap and interfere with each other. This can reduce the rate at which air mixes with the fuel. Notice there is no one perfect scenario, otherwise OEM's would all be doing the same exact thing. There is a perfect mix for each engine design, but apparently that hasn't be uncovered yet. Anyone have a dyno, a lot of time and cash to figure this out for the duramax? :)

David

slowlmm

Mar 2, 2008
so cal
Diesel power is limited by the speed at which air can be mixed with the fuel and how well it mixes. With a fixed amount of fuel desired for a particular point in time, smaller holes have better atomization because the fuel mixes faster with air (good) but takes longer (higher PW's to get that fixed amount of fuel to the engine is not good) to enter the engine whereas larger holes allow the fuel to enter the engine faster (which is good) but mixes slower (not good) and therefore takes longer for the fuel to mix with the air. As the number of holes in the injector increases, the spacing between them decreases and with too many holes, the sprays starts to overlap and interfere with each other. This can reduce the rate at which air mixes with the fuel. Notice there is no one perfect scenario, otherwise OEM's would all be doing the same exact thing. There is a perfect mix for each engine design, but apparently that hasn't be uncovered yet. Anyone have a dyno, a lot of time and cash to figure this out for the duramax? :)

David

Thanks for the explination :)

WolfLMM

Making Chips
Nov 21, 2006
AL
Even the "more" small hole injectors have trouble atomizing fuel. I have always shy'd away from bigger sticks.

I certainly hope they work out for you though.

Good luck

IdahoRob

Jun 5, 2007
Dyno'd tested yesterday and I'm happy with the improvements.

Driveabilty is very nice and balance rates are all .0-1.0

I'll track test where I have gobs of data already on the truck with stock injectors. This will be the real test. Track day tomorrow if the weather holds.

Pondsy

Jan 4, 2008
Plymouth, MA
Dyno'd tested yesterday and I'm happy with the improvements.

Driveabilty is very nice and balance rates are all .0-1.0

I'll track test where I have gobs of data already on the truck with stock injectors. This will be the real test. Track day tomorrow if the weather holds.

:popcorn:

Roc8man

May 8, 2008
Even the "more" small hole injectors have trouble atomizing fuel. I have always shy'd away from bigger sticks.

I certainly hope they work out for you though.

Good luck

As I noted, too many holes can cause the flow to interfer with one another and cause incomplete the combustion. Like everything, there is a trade off.

I'm interested in seeing how those injectors work with the twins. Please let me know what you think Rob.

farmer

Aug 9, 2008
Why can’t the holes be cut at slightly different angles so as to ensure no overlap? I’m thinking three-dimensional. They do not have to be on the same plane. There should be plenty of room.

keith2500hd

MOTORKILLER
Jul 20, 2008
Burlington,iowa
farmer that is what volker was doing 2 or 3 various nozzle rings going out at different angles. i think small hole with higher pressure will genterate velocity and shear that should help speed up ignition of fuel.

IdahoRob

Jun 5, 2007
Dyno #'s were 20+ HP improvement. Track #'s were better.

I had a 30mph headwind today, so they limited the racing to 1/8 mile. I ran mid 7.5's(7.54, 7.56, 7.57 @ 91.5-91.9mph(low to mid 1.7 60' times). This is an average of 2 mph gain in the 1/8 mile from anything I've run before. Without the headwind, not sure where it would of been.

Not sure what 1/4 miles times would of been, but I've been running mid 7.6's in the 1/8 @ 89 and running 12.0's

Rail pressure stayed in the 25,000+ range.

Good day, Cut a .000 light, won my class, than lost in the finals when all the class winners raced for the track champion. Looks like the weather will improve for more test results next week.

JOHNBOY

< Rocking the Big Single!
Aug 30, 2006
Saegertown, Pa
Why can’t the holes be cut at slightly different angles so as to ensure no overlap? I’m thinking three-dimensional. They do not have to be on the same plane. There should be plenty of room.

They can be but it really makes no difference. Your talking about such a small area that more holes is too close no matter what.

They can be but it really makes no difference. Your talking about such a small area that more holes is too close no matter what.