Bad Regulator?

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
Something I mention about fuel pressure control on a common rail.

Many modern engines have digital engine controls that have "closed loop" controls. Rail pressure is closed loop.

What a closed loop control is:

When you have a system like fuel pressure, that is required to change frequently under various conditions, you can do it two ways:

Open Loop: This works by having a look-up table that is already pre-programmed for the expected conditions the engine might forseeably encounter. Our main injection pulse works this way. It sees 3000 rpm, and 100mm of fuel required, then looks up that value in a table and ALWAYS runs that value unless another look up table modifies it, like a water temperature table, or intake air temp table, or altitude table. This only works if you already know every possible value you will ever need. It cannot adjust for wear or unexpected conditions. So it will be wrong occasionally. That's why when you actually calculate the theoritical values that SHOULD be in the main injection table, some don't add up. Our main injection pulse and timing are two examples of this.

Closed Loop: This is a "smart" system. While it does have a lookup table, it's only used for a starting point. It begins using the the value in the table, then looks at what happens by reading sensors. Then it makes an adjustment and looks again. It continuously does this to insure that it is making the system do what is desired. However, if the starting point table is too far off, it will never hit the target values and it usually stops adjusting to a limit value. Our CP3 operation and VNT chargers are this way. When you are seeing wild values on the fuel pressure or boost pressure that aren't the desired values, and nothing is busted, it's because it's original starting wasn't close enough. While I do a simple method that works fine for me (changing the target pressure values), the best way is perhaps adjust the CP3 Current table, so the starting point is closer.

DrededSS

Dec 3, 2008
DFW, TX
I drove the truck a few miles last night with the FASS off. Rail pressure did fine up to 23k psi, didn't really push it.

Oh, and the voltage surge was gone.

Dan@PPE

Diesel Enthusiast
Aug 8, 2006
So Cal.
Sorry I was out of town.

There is a problem with the FASS. Send it back and have them warranty it. You will have no problems once you get the lead pressure down. Call me if you need help..

Dan
714-985-4825

MarkBroviak

DMax Junkie
May 25, 2008
Danville Indiana
Sorry I was out of town.

There is a problem with the FASS. Send it back and have them warranty it. You will have no problems once you get the lead pressure down. Call me if you need help..

Dan
714-985-4825

X2! This is a return problem from the Fass System to the tank(Probably a line issue of some sort). Lee has a "special" fuel setup because of his intended use for the truck in the near future... When he gets back intown we will get it taken care of.:D Thanks guys for giving him all the help!