Bad Regulator?

DrededSS

Dec 3, 2008
DFW, TX
I'll be at the hospital all day today, but hopefully I can try these things late tonight or tomorrow. Thanks everyone.

DrededSS

Dec 3, 2008
DFW, TX
Good point Pat. If the idle does not change when the 2nd cp3 regulator connector is pulled, then that is the one with problems, and vise-versa. Lee, you can unplug the cp3 that is in the stock location easily. There is a connector right behind the oil fill to check that one.

My oil fill was moved a little during the build, but I'll use the LLY as a base to locate it. How many wires are in the connector so I don't pull something I shouldn't?

I'll be in the driveway all day tomorrow.

IdahoRob

Jun 5, 2007
IIRC, it's two off the CP3 and then there is a third added before the connector.

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
Fuse where the FASS is powered looks fine. What others should I be checking? I'm about to record a little video of the surge. Not sure how that would make the CP3 run weird though.

What is the voltage doing when the pressure spikes 26,000??? When power is cut to the regulator on the CP3, it goes wide open rather than stops. So it seems to me when it does this spike to 26KSI, the regulator is losing power.

About the surging.... What exactly is surging? I can't tell if you mean the voltage is surging or if there is a sound/action that is an audible (can hear it) surge. A sticky regulator in the FPRV will surge at idle.

C-ya

DrededSS

Dec 3, 2008
DFW, TX
What is the voltage doing when the pressure spikes 26,000??? When power is cut to the regulator on the CP3, it goes wide open rather than stops. So it seems to me when it does this spike to 26KSI, the regulator is losing power.

About the surging.... What exactly is surging? I can't tell if you mean the voltage is surging or if there is a sound/action that is an audible (can hear it) surge. A sticky regulator in the FPRV will surge at idle.

C-ya

It only hits 26k psi on a race tune at WOT. Anything other than idle (the 18k psi), and the desired is close to actual.

Two surges. And it doesn't seem they are related. At idle, and per my video, the voltage gauge will drop a little. Lights dim and I can hear the FASS drag down a little.

The second surge is that growling noise under the hood and coincides with a 100 or so rpm drop. It's hard to hear it and even know it's there except that I notice every little noise on the truck because I have so much money in it.

Heading out to the driveway now...

slowlmm

Mar 2, 2008
so cal
If the lights are dimming down during the surge mabey a charging problem like bad alt evn thoe your guage did show good :confused: bad bat mabey thts strange or bad ground

DrededSS

Dec 3, 2008
DFW, TX
Test results

Here is my fuel setup just to be clear: In stock CP3 location is an Industrial Injection modded. Up by the a/c is a PPE from their kit. Fuel tank goes to FASS 150/200, 5/8 fuel line to engine that branches to each CP3, return line back to tank filler neck. No stock filter/unit under the hood. FASS system is powered by the 10A ignition fuse under the hood.

Tests:

FASS on, PPE on, Industrial on: Idle PSI 18,000

FASS on, PPE off, Industrial on: Idle PSI to 26,000

FASS off, PPE on, Industrial on: Idle PSI to 6000 (desired)

FASS on, PPE on, Industrial off: Idle PSI to 26,000

FASS off, PPE on, Industrial on: Idle PSI to 6000 (desired)

I did not check the voltage since each CP3 unplugged went to 26k, and white smoke was rolling out of the stacks. I did the FASS off test twice to make sure. And wow my truck sounded so much better back at 6000.

So what now?

DrededSS

Dec 3, 2008
DFW, TX
If the lights are dimming down during the surge mabey a charging problem like bad alt evn thoe your guage did show good :confused: bad bat mabey thts strange or bad ground

Swapped redtops with my LLY, still does the same thing, does fine in the LLY.

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
It's a programming issue. Your pump appears to be working fine. Either rescale the regulator table, or just reduce the commanded pressure in offending areas to fix it.

DrededSS

Dec 3, 2008
DFW, TX
Loaded up 3 other tunes, including the stock tune:

FASS on, both CP3s on: 18,000 psi at idle
FASS off, both CP3s on: 6,000 psi at idle

I've been running two primary tunes for the first 6k miles on the truck, this idle pressure problem has only developed in the last 500 or so.

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
But it appears your regulator can control itself, it just isn't all the time.

Is the FASS flow through? Does it have a regulator on it? Can you monitor lift pump pressure?

DrededSS

Dec 3, 2008
DFW, TX
Gonna give FASS a call. I don't know if it's a flow through or not. There is no regulator on it. My lift pump pressure gauge only goes to 15 psi and mine has always been pegged unless under WOT.

DrededSS

Dec 3, 2008
DFW, TX
Just got of the phone with Larry at Danville (they built my engine and installed the fuel system). They have had this problem before, so now I have several more tests to run.

Big thanks to all of y'all helping me through this.

DrededSS

Dec 3, 2008
DFW, TX
Here's some more information:

Took the belt off the truck to take the PPE CP3 completely out of the loop.

So I'm left with just the Industrial. Idle PSI is 11,500 with FASS on and 6000 with FASS off. Tapping on the regulator got no response. I talked to Dallas at Industrial and he says the FASS is pushing too much pressure on the FCA. He also stated that anything over 10 psi will cause this issue. I could not find a direct number for FASS (Diesel Performance Products, Inc.). Their website and all the paperwork simply directs owners/users to call the dealers.

My FASS system has put out over 15 psi since day 1. I've got 6,000 miles on it with no issues until this week. So are all duramax guys with FASS systems having to put regulators on their fuel lines to back the pressure down in order to keep the FCA from messing up and causing high psi at idle? Industrial was willing to send a new regulator but didn't feel like that was the problem.

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
My buddy runs a FASS 150 on his pull truck and doesn't have these problems. Couple of differences. Single modded CP3 versus your dual CP3 setup. And the kicker, and thing I think is most responsible for your trouble, is his doesn't route fuel through the FICM. You could try to by-pass the FICM temporarily and see if that clears up the problem. It's a low pressure line so it should be relatively easy to do.

FWIW, this is why the routing for a MITUSA is post-FICM, because the FICM doesn't like the high pressure. Is your FASS system actually for a Duramax is it for something else, like a 12Valve Dodge or something?

Also, when it DOES go back down and idle at 6000, does everything seem fine? i.e. no more excessive white smoke, runs smooth, how about the voltage when the psi is at 6000?

C-ya

IdahoRob

Jun 5, 2007
Lee, make sure the return fuel line from the fass is not kinked or blocked in anyway.

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
Here's some more information:

Took the belt off the truck to take the PPE CP3 completely out of the loop.

So I'm left with just the Industrial. Idle PSI is 11,500 with FASS on and 6000 with FASS off. Tapping on the regulator got no response. I talked to Dallas at Industrial and he says the FASS is pushing too much pressure on the FCA. He also stated that anything over 10 psi will cause this issue. I could not find a direct number for FASS (Diesel Performance Products, Inc.). Their website and all the paperwork simply directs owners/users to call the dealers.

My FASS system has put out over 15 psi since day 1. I've got 6,000 miles on it with no issues until this week. So are all duramax guys with FASS systems having to put regulators on their fuel lines to back the pressure down in order to keep the FCA from messing up and causing high psi at idle? Industrial was willing to send a new regulator but didn't feel like that was the problem.

Humor me and edit the tune. Simplest is to go to the Main Rail Pressure table and lower everything left of 1000 rpm down 10mPa. See if it has the desired effect.

paint94979

Beer Nazi
Sep 18, 2006
15 psi at idle from the lift pump is too much... LB7's like 12-10psi. My PPE pump runs at 12 psi and there is no problem...

sweetdiesel

That's better
Aug 6, 2006
Thailand

your regulator is ported now though right? this can elevate your issues

My buddy runs a FASS 150 on his pull truck and doesn't have these problems. Couple of differences. Single modded CP3 versus your dual CP3 setup. And the kicker, and thing I think is most responsible for your trouble, is his doesn't route fuel through the FICM. You could try to by-pass the FICM temporarily and see if that clears up the problem. It's a low pressure line so it should be relatively easy to do.

C-ya

I would try that also.....easy test

Lee, make sure the return fuel line from the fass is not kinked or blocked in anyway.
Or even the factory return fuel line?

Humor me and edit the tune. Simplest is to go to the Main Rail Pressure table and lower everything left of 1000 rpm down 10mPa. See if it has the desired effect.

It can be tuned out for sure IMO