Bad front hub

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
I just discovered today that I have a front hub that has gone out. I have ~83k miles on the truck, and this is the first hub I have had go out. I expected to have one go out eventually, but I had no idea how it would present. I thought it might help someone if I posted up the symptoms I experienced. I had been noticing the signs for a few weeks, but I didn't suspect anything major until just the past few days.

Over about the past month, I had been noticing my truck was pulling to the driver's side. It actually wasn't much of a pull (it would want to go had that direction if I let go of the wheel), it was just I had to hold the wheel turned more toward the passenger's side. Then a couple of weeks after I noticed it pulling, I noticed a shake that I thought was a tire out of balance since it's been about 10k miles since I had them rotated and balanced. However, just before the weekend, I noticed a thumping feeling that seemed to be coming from the front end (I could feel it in the floor and steering wheel). I decided to check the front end this evening, and I found the driver's side hub to be very much bad.

Hopefully this helps someone else out.

JD4440

<< Lo-Carb Monster
Feb 27, 2009
Orlinda, TN
Yea but the dealer would be the last place I priced one. My drivers side went out (or was loose) at around 60k Josh, Pass side is still good at 67k

Sledhead

Mountain Pass Machine
Nov 29, 2008
BC
I detected one going bad a couple years ago with a quiet growl. It would come and go when I rolled the wheel side to side at hwy speeds loaded and with the weight shifting I figured it was the drivers side.

My GM mechanic says ok and we changed the pass side :confused: His experience is the inside bearing goes and my diagnosis didn't account for this. He was right. :thumb:

paint94979

Beer Nazi
Sep 18, 2006
my pass side hub had about 1 inch of play in it... driver side is as tight as a well you know what

Jeff P

hail the V8 diesel
May 28, 2008
Queensland Australia
Josh I had one go at 60k they said the bearing had collapsed not the case! what happens is the bearing unit looses its preload they are pressed together they only have to come apart a few thou and you will have heaps of play buy the Timken unit they have a rolled edge impossible for them to come apart they must have known of the problem they make em for GM and I bet you never have a wheel bearing problem again!!
Jeff

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
I have two Timkens sitting in the garage waiting to be installed. This will be the third set of bearings on the truck (167,000 miles).

LBZ_Duramax

May 12, 2009
North Carolina
www.parrishfire.com
I replaced my first one the other day at 84k. Drivers side, No growling, humming or other fuss, just a slight squeaking going slow like through a parking lot. Jacked it up and sure enough had play in it. I paid like $300 at the dealer. BTW if you get them changed at the dealership (I didn't) They will warranty them for lifetime.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
The funny thing about mine is it never made a sound, no matter what speed or how I was turning.

jlawles2

Jan 28, 2010
Danbury, TX
When both of mine went out, I noticed that they would make a squeak when backing up and turning the wheel. Started noticing it when I backed out of the driveway.

Both went out within 15k of each other. If you buy them from Dmax Store, he will give you a lifetime warranty also.

1chevy02

Jun 23, 2009
I replaced one at about 180k the other side is still good at 220k. Found mine when I thought my alignment was out and had abou 2" play on the wheel. No idea why they are lasting so long:roflmao: This is on my 02. My 07 NBS went through both sides by 80k. Most I have had go out on various farm trucks will growl and make a vibration proir to going out.

RKTMech

Idiot with a wrench
Aug 18, 2008
The Norco's
There is a difference between some of the aftermarket ones and factory, a friend replaced 6 in 18 months getting them from and auto parts store! Put factory ones on and and no more issues. By the way the lifetime parts deal (all parts) is going away at the end of this month so if you want to get grandfathered in get on it and have some installed.

DaveB

Sep 6, 2009
Northeast Indiana
I detected one going bad a couple years ago with a quiet growl. It would come and go when I rolled the wheel side to side at hwy speeds loaded and with the weight shifting I figured it was the drivers side.

My GM mechanic says ok and we changed the pass side :confused: His experience is the inside bearing goes and my diagnosis didn't account for this. He was right. :thumb:

Mine is doing this same thing. There is no play yet, but whenever I turn or swerve side to side you can hear it with the weight shifting. I am going to replace both with Timkens. Heard a lot of good things about the Timken setup.

I just hope that for sure is the problem! :confused:

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
If you want to know, RockAuto has a good price on the Timkens. $151/pc.

Last edited: