anyway to unlock efi live tune

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
I showed him that it was tuned already, apparently the PO gave him very little info. It was setup for serial data switching, so I had to show him how to set that in the CTS. The tunes weren't GREAT, but they weren't going to hurt the engine so he went on his way.

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
For an LB7 I believe you can use the internal bypass pin to do a forced read. I know it works on 99-07 P01/P59 which is the same case, similar board, but the gasser counterpart. I do not know if it has been tried on an E54 though. This is not talked about much, but with all the tuners closing up shop, this video was put out.
Source: https://youtu.be/oGeMK6LvQck
For future reference, this doesn't work for LB7's, it's a different pin you have to ground to force the unlock(I don't recall which one, but somebody figured it out a few months back on the ls droid fb page).

wydopenLb7

Mar 10, 2023
California
I showed him that it was tuned already, apparently the PO gave him very little info. It was setup for serial data switching, so I had to show him how to set that in the CTS. The tunes weren't GREAT, but they weren't going to hurt the engine so he went on his way.
Hey guys, new member and really glad I found this forum, lots of great info. Every time I'm wondering about something I stumble across a thread without even searching...

My lb7 is my first turbo diesel truck and I would like to eventually learn the tuning side. My truck was tuned when I got it. The PO had it bench flashed by a company who doesn't offer tuning anymore. I believe he had it done in 2013. It's setup for serial switching on the cts3 and I really don't have any complaints except I think one of my high altitude tables is off as last time I was at high altitude it felt like I had a boost leak, was laggy and smokey but it ran fine as soon as I got back to lower elevation. Aside from that I would like to have the ability to update things as I upgrade parts on the truck. Planning to build the transmission and put a bigger turbo on it at some point..

Is there anyway to tell if the tunes are locked without buying a flashscan and trying to read the file? And if not, is it possible to start from scratch if I learned to write the tunes myself and load more than one that I can change on a switch or cts3? Whenever I read about people tuning their own trucks it's always tune as in singular? I tow heavy in the supposed stock tune but I daily in the second hottest, it's very convenient being able to switch it with the push of a button, especially since I've read sometimes lb7's can be hard to flash?

Sorry if these are stupid questions, trying to learn as I go..

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
Your best bet is to get yourself a V2 or V3 and learn to tune. It can take a long time but well worth it. Most that do their own tuning seem to eventually settle on a single tune as switching can be hard on the transmission. The TCM doesn't have time to learn the new power when you keep switching it. In your case it may not be a big deal because you always run the tow tune on T/H and higher power tune on the normal mode so the TCM can remember the settings

For learning, a 5 position tune can help because you can have different settings in them and test out what it does. Many pro tuners don't touch the altitude tables unless asked for. This is something you can do with your own tuning.

More then likely the tune is locked. Your V2/3 will be able to overwrite the old tune with your own.

I've never had any issues tuning my LB7. I've actually had more issues with my LMM then I've ever had on my LB7. LB7s are also the easiest to learn.

You can set the tune to switch by a hardwired switch or serial switch

Reactions: wydopenLb7

darkness

Jul 15, 2009
vegas
Yup get yourself your own efilive stuff and enjoy the ride. I would recommend getting Starlite diesels tuning books. They cover mostly lly stuff but do touch on lb7 and Lbz. You can download the efilive software for free and start screwing around with it.
Plus you can do trans stuff too. Shift points, converter lockup and what not. Stay away from shift timing! And depending on how your trans acts now you can switch operating systems.

And I don’t know the capabilities of a bench flash but it could be fully locked. I couldn’t flash over my tuning and had to send it to SoCal diesel to get it unlocked. Plus he put a stock tune back in it.

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
Yup get yourself your own efilive stuff and enjoy the ride. I would recommend getting Starlite diesels tuning books. They cover mostly lly stuff but do touch on lb7 and Lbz. You can download the efilive software for free and start screwing around with it.
Plus you can do trans stuff too. Shift points, converter lockup and what not. Stay away from shift timing! And depending on how your trans acts now you can switch operating systems.

And I don’t know the capabilities of a bench flash but it could be fully locked. I couldn’t flash over my tuning and had to send it to SoCal diesel to get it unlocked. Plus he put a stock tune back in it.
When you did yours that was probably the case. Efi Live put out an update a little while back that allows overwriting the existing tune. I think it was in response to many not supporting tuning anymore and people being stuck

wydopenLb7

Mar 10, 2023
California
Thanks guys appreciate the help

I would be fine with 2 tunes, one to daily and one to tow..My tranny has been good, I always make sure to turn off overdrive if I’m going to hammer on it and I’m pulling a 13klb trailer so I play it safe and leave it in the stock tune. I’ve pulled it in the +25hp one but on the hills the egts are quite a bit higher and it isn’t worth the little bit of extra power.

I downloaded efilive before I left work..going to try to figure it out

Last edited:

darkness

Jul 15, 2009
vegas
When you did yours that was probably the case. Efi Live put out an update a little while back that allows overwriting the existing tune. I think it was in response to many not supporting tuning anymore and people being stuck
Good to know. I stopped receiving their emails a while ago and don’t get the update updates lol.

Reactions: 2004LB7

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
Thanks guys appreciate the help

I would be fine with 2 tunes, one to daily and one to tow..My tranny has been good, I always make sure to turn off overdrive if I’m going to hammer on it and I’m pulling a 13klb trailer so I play it safe and leave it in the stock tune. I’ve pulled it in the +25hp one but on the hills the egts are quite a bit higher and it isn’t worth the little bit of extra power.

I downloaded efilive before I left work..going to try to figure it out
What you want is a DSP2 tune then. When I did my transmission tune I set the T/H 4th to 5th upshift so it wouldn't upshift untill about 80 mph or so when the accelerator was pressed more then what it would take to cruise on level ground. Took some tweaking to get right but worked great at keeping it out of overdrive when under a heavier load

Misternw87

Jul 12, 2023
Wa
If you need it benched I do have a harness here.
What about an 09 LMM ECM? I keep losing communication while flashing my EFI. I’ve checked all the wiring cleaned made sure wires were hot. But now when I check the fuses for it the relay just clicks really fast. Also does it when I test the fan fuse with my fuse light. Any thoughts

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
What about an 09 LMM ECM? I keep losing communication while flashing my EFI. I’ve checked all the wiring cleaned made sure wires were hot. But now when I check the fuses for it the relay just clicks really fast. Also does it when I test the fan fuse with my fuse light. Any thoughts
I do have bench harnesses for 01-10 ECMs and 01-05 TCMs.