anyway to unlock efi live tune

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
wouldn't data logging the tune show most of what the tuner did?

No, it’ll show you the setpoint sure but won’t show the equations on how the tune is written and won’t show how it will react to a situation outside of the datalog.

Trying to hack someone’s file like that is low class.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 2004LB7

Lennydmaxguy

Just another diesel tech
Nov 8, 2023
Somewhere, USA :)
wouldn't data logging the tune show most of what the tuner did?
In my case no. It has a 6 speed OS in it that I need to pull out so I can modify it. But in most cases yes, that's a good point.
If I can get into it and flash it back to stock I should be able to read it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah, that won't help unfortunately. I need the tune that's currently in it.

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
In my case no. It has a 6 speed OS in it that I need to pull out so I can modify it. But in most cases yes, that's a good point.

Yeah, that won't help unfortunately. I need the tune that's currently in it.

Edit: Noticed you have a 6spd conversion. There are a few of those unlocked files floating around but they're not easy to get. It took me quite some time/pulling some strings to get mine.

You can easily send the TCM to duramax tuner and they can modify the TCM tune for you.

Lennydmaxguy

Just another diesel tech
Nov 8, 2023
Edit: Noticed you have a 6spd conversion. There are a few of those unlocked files floating around but they're not easy to get. It took me quite some time/pulling some strings to get mine.

I actually have a second module that's unlocked. So I do have a copy of the 6 spd OS. I'm in the process of building a second truck , and wanted the conversion in it too.
You can easily send the TCM to duramax tuner and they can modify the TCM tune for you.
They were the ones that supplied the TCM. I just can't work with a locked module. I had them do a revision while I was still using the module in my LLY, but it wasn't mch better, and it's annoying needing to have them connect remotely just to make minor adjustments. I have to be able to change the tuning myself.

I'm looking into options such as seed/key generators, or a brute force tool. I rigged up a "bench harness" that's quite ugly, but functional.

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
I actually have a second module that's unlocked. So I do have a copy of the 6 spd OS. I'm in the process of building a second truck , and wanted the conversion in it too.

They were the ones that supplied the TCM. I just can't work with a locked module. I had them do a revision while I was still using the module in my LLY, but it wasn't mch better, and it's annoying needing to have them connect remotely just to make minor adjustments. I have to be able to change the tuning myself.

I'm looking into options such as seed/key generators, or a brute force tool. I rigged up a "bench harness" that's quite ugly, but functional.
I'm in the same boat. I can't stand having tunes locked to someone else. I need to be able to tweak them to my liking. That can take dozens of revisions sometimes to get it exactly where I want it. Very few turners will have the patience to do this.

I have my TDI tuned and I would so like to be able to make some changes but I think I wore out my welcome with them on the previous revisions. Now I just need to find some TDI and DSG tuning tools....

gmduramax

Shits broke
Jun 12, 2008
Nor cal
Maybe I’m not following correctly but if you have a 6 speed conversion, even if you have the tune file unlocked. If you’re using EFI live you will not be able to make changes to the 6th gear. 1-5 you can change

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
Maybe I’m not following correctly but if you have a 6 speed conversion, even if you have the tune file unlocked. If you’re using EFI live you will not be able to make changes to the 6th gear. 1-5 you can change
Would probably need a special CAX file for the 6th gear parameters and what ever else they are changing that is not defined by EFI Live.

Reactions: 2004LB7

Lennydmaxguy

Just another diesel tech
Nov 8, 2023

Correct. I've made very little change to the actual 6th gear tables though. It's mostly the other gears and TCC settings I change.
Would probably need a special CAX file for the 6th gear parameters and what ever else they are changing that is not defined by EFI Live.

Yes, that would be an option. I considered doing that, but never took the time. HPTuners has the 6th gear tables mapped, so I read my file with that and made changes.

Edit: I should add that this was the unlocked TCM I read. I'm still working on the locked one.

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
If you do manage to get an unlocked tune, I have been slowly adding the 6th gear tables with CAX files. I use these with both the Duramax Tuner tune and a PCMP tune.

Grab the CAX file here: https://piglab.reaperlegion.net/aut...ob/master/Calibrations/DF6.cax?ref_type=heads

I need to upload some changes from my tuning laptop, I seem to recall finding a couple more tables since that initial upload. Just check that link periodically for the latest version.

Edit: no new tables (yet...), but I did find this in my notes:

EFILive 6-speed shift pattern labels are wrong! Actual mapping:
* Pattern A = Normal
* Pattern B = Tow/Haul
* Pattern C = 4WD Lo
* Pattern D = Trans Hot
* Pattern E = Normal (selector in 2)
* Pattern F = Trans Hot (selector in 2)
* Pattern G = Tow/Haul (selector in 2)
* Pattern H = 4WD Lo (selector in 2)

Last edited:

Lennydmaxguy

Just another diesel tech
Nov 8, 2023
If you do manage to get an unlocked tune, I have been slowly adding the 6th gear tables with CAX files. I use these with both the Duramax Tuner tune and a PCMP tune.

Grab the CAX file here: https://piglab.reaperlegion.net/aut...ob/master/Calibrations/DF6.cax?ref_type=heads

I need to upload some changes from my tuning laptop, I seem to recall finding a couple more tables since that initial upload. Just check that link periodically for the latest version.

Edit: no new tables (yet...), but I did find this in my notes:

EFILive 6-speed shift pattern labels are wrong! Actual mapping:
* Pattern A = Normal
* Pattern B = Tow/Haul
* Pattern C = 4WD Lo
* Pattern D = Trans Hot
* Pattern E = Normal (selector in 2)
* Pattern F = Trans Hot (selector in 2)
* Pattern G = Tow/Haul (selector in 2)
* Pattern H = 4WD Lo (selector in 2)

Thanks a lot! That will save me the trouble of making my own.

Lennydmaxguy

Just another diesel tech
Nov 8, 2023

I got it!

I read out the module, modified the tune, and reflashed. So far she's working like a charm.

And before anyone asks, I don't plan to post the file. I understand why DuramaxTuner locks the module in the first place, and it's to prevent their hard work from becoming essentially worthless from being shared around. I respect that, but in my case I paid for the TCM, so in my mind at least, I should own a copy of it's contents.

Last edited: