Air shut offs

TNRGreene

Kicked to the Curb
Sep 2, 2006
Bradenton, Florida
Gotta get away from a "blast gate" like most are using. I have not done the research yet but I'm sure there are "chemical gates" that would close fast & seal tight. And really how fast must it close? instant or 2 seconds? Most want instant but the rules do not spec a closing time

Bluemax

???????????
Sep 25, 2006
Missouri
I was thinking more along the lines of some kind of mechanical spring loaded butterfly design. It seems like it would work better in that spot to me than a blast gate. But do you think it would cause any problems with air flow being that close to the heads? Closing speed wouldn't be that much of a concern to me as long as it did it, I just thought you were talking about a guillotine setup that would need a lot of speed to overcome the pressure of all the surface area being hit at one time.

TNRGreene

Kicked to the Curb
Sep 2, 2006
Bradenton, Florida
I think if it closed slow...er then the blast gate it would be a slower remove of air. maybe easier on the motor then just chopping the throttle. I'm with you, I want it to work. I'm also consider a C02 system to deal with this issue. I wonder if that would suffice instead. A Motor WILL not run away while ingesting C02

Bluemax

???????????
Sep 25, 2006
Missouri
That would work great but but per our rules around here we're not allowed to have any compressed gases on the truck at all. And I was thinking more about the air flow being messed up when it was open and the air was moving around it like at WOT. If that makes any more sense to you.:D

Bluemax

???????????
Sep 25, 2006
Missouri
I'm thinking maybe an electrical device

That's what I wanted but our rules say it has to be mechanical.:rolleyes: I was using a dsp tune with the TB zeroed out and it worked fine then it had to be on the intake in case of the turbo failure and that was fine but then it had to be mechanical to make the sled operator feel better. Pretty soon there will be a guy riding in the passenger seat with his hand on the button for me from the sounds of it.:D

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
What size of intercooler piping are you guys running?
I will check around the shop and see what we have in your sizes laying around. If I find anything, I will send it down to you guys.

They will look like this and as I said before they can be air, mechanically or electrically operated. http://www.rodadeaco.com/sitepage/mainfs.htm

JMDuramaxLB7

YOU SAID MEMBER!!!
Jun 3, 2007
Missouri
I'm thinking something like 1/8 in or so to start with. Do you guys use anything that thick out there? I don't know if it's going to work the way I'm thinking but I'm going to try. I've got a bunch of stainless out here but I'd rather use some lighter stuff if I can find it reasonably priced. (or free;)):D

Its a little thinner than that but i'll do some checkin around. The material is aluminum and is fairly stiff for it's thickness. I'll cut a small piece out and see how stiff it is and let ya know.We have hundreds of pounds of them too...

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
Ok guys I'm on it tomorrow and will see if we have any 3" E-kills kicking around.

sweetdiesel

That's better
Aug 6, 2006
Thailand
They will look like this and as I said before they can be air, mechanically or electrically operated. http://www.rodadeaco.com/sitepage/mainfs.htm

Details man, details :D Do they have pictures of installs, specs, pricing, complete kits together? Come on Simon.....details :rofl:

check out this site,They have pretty much any kind of set up WE desire
Dale and I both use these at work and they Handle a ton of abuse! and the EUB ( oil field police ) demand they ALWAYS work!

If you have any specific questions,I will phone tommorow

You guys are the experts, im just the messenger