Air shut offs

Bluemax

???????????
Sep 25, 2006
Missouri
Anyone have to run these? Looking for pictures for ideas on building one or a place to find one to buy.

Kat

Wicked Witch of the West
Aug 2, 2006
Norco, CA
We have one on Casper but is not reliable :( Only ran it when we had to.

Bluemax

???????????
Sep 25, 2006
Missouri
Was that the electric one? If so It wouldn't work for mine. The rule says it has to be manually ran. I used an electric plug to a dsp switch and zeroed out the tables on the dsp tune and they say that's not good enough anymore. Due to the chance of blowing the turbo and the sled operator wants control if that happens. Makes sense but it's still a PITA for a daily driver.:) Just another hole for the dust to find a way in through.:(

Bluemax

???????????
Sep 25, 2006
Missouri
Yeah I know Kurt I've seen a few, but I'd like to see what others have done. I'd like to find the smallest and most functional one I could before I cut up my intake system.:)

bullfrogjohnson

Big Girl!
Nov 20, 2006
Locust, NC
Kevin, Tony Burkhart sells them. very nice looking units. A local guy around here (he is on TDP as Eds04dmax) we are currently outfitting one on my truck and his and should have pics up shortly. Pm me if you want more info

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
The problem is reliability, both mechanical and electric ones.

There have been a number of folk who lost sled-pulls or drag races due to a shut-off problem. And there have been instances where they have failed too when a runaway happens.

Bluemax

???????????
Sep 25, 2006
Missouri
When I was picking my truck up at the dealer after the injector replacement when I walked in the door all the techs were huddled around the hood of one. When I asked what was going on the SM told me the turbo seal went out and when the engine started to run away and got to a certain rpm the butterfly closes and keeps it from flying apart.:eek: That's a kickass safety feature if it's true.:D Maybe it just seized up and they didn't know it yet.:joker:

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
PS - The LMM's have one from the factory!

really... that's kinda unusual isn't it? Makes ya wonder why doesn't it? I mean, it's not like it's very usual to have a turbo failure on a stock truck so why in the world would they think that was a needed feature? Perhaps they ARE planning on failures? It's got me curious for sure! :confused:

Bluemax

???????????
Sep 25, 2006
Missouri
Yeah it's supposed to be emissions stuff the way I read a long time ago, so maybe just a failsafe? It's there so why not use it to save an engine if it happens to go kind of thing? It would be cool if you could control it with efi. Just for a dumb theif or something, it would start for a second and die. Just to see how many times they tried to start it before they gave up.:D Or set it to close if you lost oil press or something.:dontknow:

Rhall

Old Skooler
Aug 12, 2006
Texas Y'all
I agree with the pita on a daily driver, let me know kevin, maybe we can put our heads together and figure something out. It getting close ya know? lol

Bluemax

???????????
Sep 25, 2006
Missouri
It's getting real close real fast ain't it.:(
I've got a long way to go and a short time to get there.:D I drew up a couple of patterns on cardboard for a gate, I just have to find some sheets of metal to cut em out of,(preferably aluminum) and a couple of short pieces of pipe. You don't have any spare sheets laying around do you?:D

sweetdiesel

That's better
Aug 6, 2006
Thailand
It's getting real close real fast ain't it.:(
I've got a long way to go and a short time to get there.:D I drew up a couple of patterns on cardboard for a gate, I just have to find some sheets of metal to cut em out of,(preferably aluminum) and a couple of short pieces of pipe. You don't have any spare sheets laying around do you?:D

I hear ya,Aint enough time in the day:(

why didnt you say something about the allluminum? I could of sent that too:D

JMDuramaxLB7

YOU SAID MEMBER!!!
Jun 3, 2007
Missouri
Kevin, what kind of thickness are you looking for, let me know, may have somethung at work that will for the aluminum sheets.

Bluemax

???????????
Sep 25, 2006
Missouri
I'm thinking something like 1/8 in or so to start with. Do you guys use anything that thick out there? I don't know if it's going to work the way I'm thinking but I'm going to try. I've got a bunch of stainless out here but I'd rather use some lighter stuff if I can find it reasonably priced. (or free;)):D