2WD dragracers: Warning.

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
It happened again.

A 2wd truck back east lost it and crashed.

A glace at the pictures indicates he was running low-pressure bias-ply tires in the back, and wide steel-radials up front.

This allows the back of the truck or car to wander back and forth while driving. Moving the back of a car with the front planted firm causes rapid directional changes. Even small amounts of steering correction can cause you to lose control when it starts to wander.

Kat and I have witnessed these kinds of crashes many times over the years, and I have driven a few cars and trucks setup this way.

This has been the subject of debate for 40+ years, but the concensus of the tire companies, racers, and rim manufacturers is NOT to mix bias and radials, especially with the bias out back.

But let's say you MUST run bias slicks with radials up front, what can you do?

• Run the front tires at lower pressure so they don't react as quick.
  • Run inner-tubes in the rear to firm up the sidewalls.
  • Run high pressure in the rear, say 20PSI. Do not exceed mfr recommendation though.
  • Run a narrow front tire with a high aspect ratio to slow down reaction. 245/75-16's are better than 305/55-20's.
  • Test it first. Drive down an open street at 40mph and shake the wheel quick. How many ocillilations does it make? More than 1 is not good.

Last edited:

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
Yup, just wrecked his truck and his day. :(

Now the hand wringers are calling for all of us to have 9-second roll-cages if we run 12 second ET's because we are racing pickups.

Hopefully they come to their senses.

malibu795

misspeelleerr
Apr 28, 2007
in the buckeye state
i saw the vid... one hellof a ride he took.... could have been much worse..

i understood you DO NOT to mix bias and radials tires???? :confused:

some people learn the hard way:eek:

2wd_Sled_Puller

Heavy Equiment mechanic
Feb 19, 2008
Florida
Pat i have had this problem before when letting air pressure out of my tires. So to help out i go threw the water box and burn out pass the tree to kinda get a little more air pressure in the tires so it dont sway as bad. but even with 15 pounds in the tire u do not want to correct it to much or your day can and will get bad quick

Bluemax

???????????
Sep 25, 2006
Missouri
I didn't see the video but the pics look like it was quite a ride.

Attachments

• S5030733.jpg
    S5030733.jpg
    174.3 KB · Views: 79
  • S5030734.jpg
    S5030734.jpg
    152.3 KB · Views: 63
  • S5030736.jpg
    S5030736.jpg
    139.7 KB · Views: 56
  • S5030737.jpg
    S5030737.jpg
    157.1 KB · Views: 74

Kat

Wicked Witch of the West
Aug 2, 2006
Norco, CA
I didn't see the video but the pics look like it was quite a ride.

I didn't see the video either. But from the pic's looking at the stacks it didn't look like he rolled it either.

I'm happy he is safe. But, I will not put a rollbar or cage in a Wendy just because i run 12's.

2wd_Sled_Puller

Heavy Equiment mechanic
Feb 19, 2008
Florida
Holy shit that gary ray southern diesel perfomance. That truck would hall major ass. it would spin well past the 1/8th mile mark can someone post the thread on here

2wd_Sled_Puller

Heavy Equiment mechanic
Feb 19, 2008
Florida
I have just got off the phone with gary ( wrong way ) the driver of the 1500 silverline dodge. He told me that he had 12.5 pounds of air in both back tires. He sayed that the low air pressure was not the cause of the crash. He sayed the truck was not swaying from side to side the only thing he can remember about the wreck was it filled as if the truck hook all at once and sent him to the right side. He sayed he is ok but very sore. His truck was stripped today and the motor and tranny was being put into his new ride. He sayed he will contuine to race.

Also the video will be up a little later the vidoe that was posted was not a good one of the wreck. He sayed that nhrda or who ever it was took a very good video of it and when he gets the vidoe he will put it up for us to watch.

He did give me a very good tip though When the truck is spinning try to make it hook before it hooks itself

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
Pat i have had this problem before when letting air pressure out of my tires. So to help out i go threw the water box and burn out pass the tree to kinda get a little more air pressure in the tires so it dont sway as bad. but even with 15 pounds in the tire u do not want to correct it to much or your day can and will get bad quick

I can run 10PSI in slicks and have the car handle like stock IF I have the right tires up front. Doesn't even flinch when powershifting at 7200rpm.

malibu795

misspeelleerr
Apr 28, 2007
in the buckeye state
i bet that there is minor deflection of the roll bar if any.

that would pas a NHST crash test with a high rating :eek:

any one looked at a 4 star frontal wreck rating? the tires are normally few inches in the floor boards....:eek:

Stingpuller

The Pusher Man
Jan 11, 2007
central Ohio
Roll Bars!

I think all the comp d group thats wants roll bars on 12 sec. trucks can kiss my a$$!!! I got into truck racing because I was tired of racing fast cars and thinking what if. I fill safer in my 11 sec. truck than I did in a low 8 sec. car with a funny car cage in it. They just need to leave the rules alone! If they don't fill safe then don't race. I didn't tell everyone who races a 10.5 car to build different stuff because I didn't fill safe.:mad:

ripmf666

Sep 20, 2006
Wentzville Mo
I think all the comp d group thats wants roll bars on 12 sec. trucks can kiss my a$$!!! I got into truck racing because I was tired of racing fast cars and thinking what if. I fill safer in my 11 sec. truck than I did in a low 8 sec. car with a funny car cage in it. They just need to leave the rules alone! If they don't fill safe then don't race. I didn't tell everyone who races a 10.5 car to build different stuff because I didn't fill safe.:mad:

I 2nd that thats why my car is in parts right now lol