036.6turbo

Jan 17, 2014
Driver’s side rocker
35b9012350daa4dc5200541fbea6c1b3.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

036.6turbo

Jan 17, 2014
Well, she's a runner.

Backed her off of the lift under her own power. Other than a anti lock brake light on the dash all seems to be in order.

I'm a bit perplexed by the Tcase, I drained it before I removed it. When I refilled it it would only take about a half of a qt, before it started running back out of the fill port. I really think it should have taken closer to 2.2 qts. So more investigating to do there. It's the auto 4wd one, you know 2wd / 4hi / 4lo / auto 4wd, but it works just fine.

I'm going to mix up some used motor oil and diesel fuel and coat the underside, keeping with my low buck theme.

I have a Viper remote start that I bought for the 03, but never installed, so I may as well toss that on her too, that way I can warm it up in the morning.

Kind of silly what a kick I'm getting out of this thing, but whatever. It should allow my LML to avoid some salted roads.

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
I thought the budget undercarriage coating was wax and gasoline. The gas would evaporate leaving a wax coating behind.

How long does the used motor oil formula last?

036.6turbo

Jan 17, 2014
I thought the budget undercarriage coating was wax and gasoline. The gas would evaporate leaving a wax coating behind.

How long does the used motor oil formula last?

Not sure? It may just be a wives tale? But I have both sitting there, so I figured what the heck?

On my LML I use actual cavity wax, that's recommended by the OEMs.

This being a shit box of sorts, I figured the used oil will at least improve the look of the surface rusted frame, and the diesel fuel should thin it enough to blow through a gun.

Time will tell.

036.6turbo

Jan 17, 2014
Did you use the GM auto t case fluid? They use a special kind of fluid not the normal kind our trucks take

No, ATF came out of it, I put DEX VI back in.

SI says the green GM stuff, or synthetic ATF.

I figured DEX VI should work

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
Autotrac uses the blue smurf fluid, otherwise the viscous coupler can fail as well as the shift fork chew up. GM came out with the autotrac fluid after the autotrac case came out. Dex vi is not to be used in any transfer case as per GM. Dex vi is too thin, you're supposed to use there manual trans lubricant(aka dex iii or dex/merc fluid). Dex vi will take out any transfer case.

036.6turbo

Jan 17, 2014
Autotrac uses the blue smurf fluid, otherwise the viscous coupler can fail as well as the shift fork chew up. GM came out with the autotrac fluid after the autotrac case came out. Dex vi is not to be used in any transfer case as per GM. Dex vi is too thin, you're supposed to use there manual trans lubricant(aka dex iii or dex/merc fluid). Dex vi will take out any transfer case.

Thanks Ferm, I was not aware of that.

036.6turbo

Jan 17, 2014
Been driving this for a bit. Feels good to let the Denali sit in the shop, while the roads are slippery or salt covered.

A complete tune up got the motor running smooth, it did have two dead holes. Plugs were way past any usable life, cap and rotor had tons of corrosion as well.

It's setting a P0160 code for bank two o2 sensor being non responsive. Also also has an anti lock brake light on. I will double check the wiring on the o2, but have yet to dig into the anti lock brake issue.

May change the name of this beater from "Cheap Hoe" to "Sno Hoe".

I figured if we were going to put the effort into keeping another 4wd around, may as well put it to work. Not commercially or anything, just my driveway, the widow who lets me store my RV in her second driveway, my mother's house, stuff like that. No plowing contracts.

Found an old Meyers plow set up off of a 1988 Chevy Truck. $500 for it complete.

It's solid, another friend of a friend FB marketplace deal. They had owned the plow and truck since new. Transmission failed in the truck, the gentlemans health was failing, wife and kids were selling off the farm stuff. They represented it to be complete and in working order. It took a bit of head scratching to get the lights wired up correctly, but it's all sorted out now.

The suspension will need some help, to support the weight of it, probably going to do a torsion key lift kit on it.

Overall its coming along.

Attachments

• IMG_1305_tn.jpg
    IMG_1305_tn.jpg
    211.4 KB · Views: 49

gmc502

Jan 16, 2011
my bet on the antilock light,,abs motor.had that happen twice on my 02.nice score
on the rust proofing,,used oil sprayed on,then drive on a dusty road.

036.6turbo

Jan 17, 2014
my bet on the antilock light,,abs motor.had that happen twice on my 02.nice score
on the rust proofing,,used oil sprayed on,then drive on a dusty road.

The ABS light is the only one still on. I pulled the codes, but don't have them at my fingertips, but yes, it does appear the ABS motor is bad. I'll source one from a boneyard.

The SES light for the o2 went away on its own. Could possibly have been bad fuel from sitting so long.

I did a 2" "key and block" lift kit from AMAZON, to help offset the sag from lifting the plow. Also added some Timbrens knockoffs from Beyers. That helped a lot.

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/t...b7WYfG66ehZAQQWPi3MCcEjIGIt6aIAoaAiiVEALw_wcB

Plow is working well, other than it seems to "float" side to side more than it should. I'll have to dig into that.

New stabilizer links and bushing front and rear, got it driving without hopping all over the road. (along with new shocks.)

I've been driving it a lot more than I thought I would, some of that is highway driving. I decided to put a set of new tires on it. Load range "E" seemed a smart choice due to the weight of the plow.

I checked the normal places, Discount, Belle. They all wanted at least $850 for a set of (4). More than I wanted to invest in this.

Back to AMAZON, a set of (4) Travelstar EcoPath A/T All- Terrain Radial Tire-LT285/75R16 126R 10-ply, delivered to my door, 530 doll hairs. Anther 98 doll hairs for Wally world to dismount / mount / balance / valve stems / dispose of the old ones.

https://www.amazon.com/Travelstar-E...26R+10-ply&qid=1581937524&s=automotive&sr=1-1

Not super cheap, but a couple hundred under the chain stores.

So far its been a good truck.

Denali hasn't left the warmth of my shop this winter, that in itself makes it worth fixing this old girl up.