01-10 steering box redhead ,PSC ,OEM

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
Going to be rebuilding my front end, the stud on my pitman arm snapped so I'm doing a new kryptonite pitman and some dmax store tie rods. While under there I realized I should redo everything I haven't replaced recently. I'm going to replace lower ball joints, arm bushings, idler, cv boots and bump stops. My steering box has a slight leak but it is still tight even with 342k on it.

I'm assuming it wouldn't be too hard to rebuild yourself? Can anyone recommend a good rebuild kit, that isn't cheap Chinese stuff? If the box is still tight should I just replace the leaky seal or while its apart is it a good idea to rebuild the whole thing? Don't want to fix something that isn't broken with lower quality parts and after reading this thread it seems like a new box is hit or miss..
I think the 6 bolt is still the way to go.

If it's just a seal leaking, replace said seal and keep using it. Taking it apart, it may never be the same.

Ridin'GMC

I like red
May 20, 2010
MA
Bumping it up

Checking to verify if the Cardone 978418GB is not coming in as 4 bolt units opposed to the 6 bolts which every one is trying get before I order it. Nobody wants to do the same job twice over poor quality parts.

JSimmsy

Mar 31, 2019
Ohio
Amazon box

Can anyone tell me what the difference might be between this one box and the card one box?

Part number is the same but with an S at the end. Just some Chinese knock off with a similar part number to fool us?

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
Brad, have you gotten a six bolt box from RA recently? My Amazon order this week yielded a 2007-2010 style four bolt box from Cardone/Modulus.

According to Fisher, the S stands for suoerceded.
I bought one a month or so ago without an issue and did get a 6 bolt box.

Got any extra you're willing to get rid of?
I do not, sorry. We only stock a few for jobs at our facility.

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
Well got my Cardone box today (PN 978418GB). I can confirm it IS a 6 bolt box with a 3 spline arm and is listed as a brand new (not reman) box.

To be clear, it was Cardone 978418GB or some other? Cardone has different boxes that they list for 01-07 and 07-10. Want to make sure we are talking about the same.
Yes it is the 978418GB PN as referenced in this thread on quite a few pages. I don't order them by fitment, I order off of PN alone.

johnmyster

Nov 6, 2023
Lynchburg, Virginia
Yes it is the 978418GB PN as referenced in this thread on quite a few pages.
Thanks for verifying. The 97-8418 seems mostly out of stock right now across the US. Summit. Rock Auto. NAPA. Federated.

Amazon has a few. Two have shown up as four bolt boxes, which is why I asked. Thank you for verifying. I'm giving up after the third. It seems the 97-8418 six bolt box might no longer be a thing. 97-8418 printed on the end of a Modulus / Cardone box. Four bolt 2007.5-2010 style gear inside.

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
They are likely still suffering the same issue we documented before. China put the reman part in boxes with new Part label on them. We notified NAPA of the issue and it fell on deaf ears. We also notified RockAuto. It took awhile to get them to listen and understand what was happening but they notified all there warehouse's and pulled inventory.

PSC is the same 6 bolt box that comes from China. Now they claim to go through them and test them to make sure they meet there standard. Could be why they are able to claim made in the USA. At any rate they only want to stock 1 part and chose the 4 Bolt variant. Likely because of the 1500 Crowd that like's to make prerunners or 4 wheelers out of there trucks.

johnmyster

Nov 6, 2023
Lynchburg, Virginia
I don't really mind buying another pitman arm if I have a good box to put it on. Moog HDs are $60 in 3 or 4 spline and do the job fine.

The four bolt 2007.5-2010 style gears (yes, plural) I have received (Modulus 97-8414) don't look reman. The paint job is pretty shoddy but the sector and worm shaft ends look new. There's still an unacceptable amount of slop in the boxes, but I don't think that means Cardone is substituting rebuilds for new China imports.

I suspect the importer has discovered there are multiple boxes that fit a wide variety of trucks as long as they have the right input, output, and hydraulic connections...just as we have. We're after it to get an improved box but they're build whichever they have parts for or can make lowest cost. I imagine they aren't too picky about ratio or valving. If it fits, it ships. You've got the Saginaw 700/800/808 style, the Saginaw 84 style, the Delphi 4-bolt smiley face cover (2007.5-2010 style), and the Delphi 6 bolt cover.