01-10 steering box redhead ,PSC ,OEM

JSimmsy

Mar 31, 2019
Ohio
The price on that cardone box on rockauto is all over the place. It was a $370 the other day. Listed at $317 yesterday, back to $370 today.

I don't know if I need another box but I debated buying it just to have when it was $317.

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
The price on that cardone box on rockauto is all over the place. It was a $370 the other day. Listed at $317 yesterday, back to $370 today.

I don't know if I need another box but I debated buying it just to have when it was $317.
They have done that in the past as well. Some times I think it has to do with your search history. It may have something to do with demand as well.

I put something in the cart last time and was ready to check out, I left the window open on my home computer. I was going to purchase it but Just had some reservation. I went to work the next day and decided to make the purchase. The price jumped up. When I went home, I checked the window I left open and the price was still the same. So I decided to try and purchase it and sure enough I got it for the lower price. I opened a new window and looked at the same thing and it was at the higher price I saw earlier in the day.

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
They have done that in the past as well. Some times I think it has to do with your search history. It may have something to do with demand as well.

I put something in the cart last time and was ready to check out, I left the window open on my home computer. I was going to purchase it but Just had some reservation. I went to work the next day and decided to make the purchase. The price jumped up. When I went home, I checked the window I left open and the price was still the same. So I decided to try and purchase it and sure enough I got it for the lower price. I opened a new window and looked at the same thing and it was at the higher price I saw earlier in the day.
Yay for cookies!

JSimmsy

Mar 31, 2019
Ohio

Now it's listed at $314 for anyone looking.

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
If that Cardone box is anything like the PSC, I am not impressed. Mine is totally trashed after only 6,522 miles in just under 2 years. Going back to a RedHead, which I could at least get more than 10,000 miles out of.

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
Dave, do you have any suspension mods?

Like are you lifted, bigger tires, anything like that?

Just want to document the failure incase you are not the only one in the future.

pl_silverado

Jan 29, 2012
For what they cost they better be sending you a new one no questions asked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
I run 35" tires (BFG All Terrain KO2) on OEM H2 rims, no lift (it's a GMC so a little trimming of the bumper and it clears). Stock centerlink, Kryptonite idler, weld in idler brace, DHD steering brace, and rare parts tie rods.

I'm going to call PSC today and see what they say, but until this is resolved I'm going to run a red head box again. This one isn't safe to drive as is.

Sent from my FlashScan V2 using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1FastBrick

08lmm72mm

May 13, 2019
Saskatchewan, Canada
If that Cardone box is anything like the PSC, I am not impressed. Mine is totally trashed after only 6,522 miles in just under 2 years. Going back to a RedHead, which I could at least get more than 10,000 miles out of.
I have about around 5000km on my cardone 6 bolt now. 0 leaks and tight still . I'm also lifted with 35s on 22s with the torsions turned up a bit

Reactions: LBZ

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
Damn. My reman BBB rockauto unit is still tighter than that with same mileage. Hopefully it was a one off failure and they replace it.

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
Damn. My reman BBB rockauto unit is still tighter than that with same mileage. Hopefully it was a one off failure and they replace it.
I am hoping it's the same as well.

Maybe there was a flaw in the sector shaft hardness or the housing?

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
PSC was adamant their warranty is 1 year from date of purchase (not install), not a day more. They'll fix it for $90/hr plus parts cost.

We're going to call again Monday and see if the one dude was just in a bad mood, but if that's how they're going to handle it, I'll probably have a different shop tear it down and tell me what went wrong.

08lmm72mm

May 13, 2019
Saskatchewan, Canada
PSC was adamant their warranty is 1 year from date of purchase (not install), not a day more. They'll fix it for $90/hr plus parts cost.

We're going to call again Monday and see if the one dude was just in a bad mood, but if that's how they're going to handle it, I'll probably have a different shop tear it down and tell me what went wrong.

That's sad a box expensive like that failed so soon.

JSimmsy

Mar 31, 2019
Ohio
Last edited:

Ron Nielson

Oct 11, 2009
Berryton, KS
Have you tried to adjust the pinion shaft? Attached are out of the vehicle instructions but the process is basically the same.

Attachments

• Steering Gear Pitman Shaft Preload Adjustment - Off Vehicle.pdf
    121.1 KB · Views: 9

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
You can not fix that type of play with out taking the box apart. Either the bearing has failed, the shaft is worn, or the box it self is some type damage from a combination of worn components.

The 6 bolt uses a larger sector shaft and bearing along with an additional bearing on top to help support it.

Unfortunately, It doesn't matter Who you buy it from here in the USA, They are still manufactured in China...