01-10 steering box redhead ,PSC ,OEM

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
I emailed BBB industries to see if they could shed some light on whether the problem has been sorted... here's what I got back:

Rock Auto is not a retailer that we sell to. Rock Auto purchases from one of our wholesale customers and miss boxing seems to occur here. For your best satisfaction I recommend purchasing from Napa, OReilleys, AutoZone and Independent parts retailers.

Going to send them a link to this thread and point out people who purchased from NAPA were having the same issue. Kind of moot though, buying through those stores drives the price up to the same (or higher) than just buying the PSC XD unit (and it seems you actually get the correct part from them).

I don't think it's true that the PSC unit is the newer style truck component. For what it's worth, the photos on Rock Auto for the various steering gearboxes they carry for a 2015 truck (including new AC Delco units) have 4 bolt tops, where the PSC part is a 6 bolt.

From what I can tell, the original pumps for our older Duramaxes were similar the steering gearboxes for Dodge Rams of the same vintage. PSC sells a version of the XD steering gear for Rams as well... will do some research and see if there's any intel on how theirs have held up. All of these steering gears are based on 40+ year old Saginaw designs (which is not a great thing).
We already stated before Rock Auto is not a an Authorized reseller. You will also be left holding the bag on the warranty too.

The real question is did BBB/ Vision ever get a new shipment of the correct boxes from China? Last we heard they were on their way over. I was told to follow up a month after but I didn't. I honestly didn't have high hopes they would get a shipment that soon. I was really burned out on the whole deal and moved on to other Projects that needed to be tackled. Then I got covid...

As for the Dodge box. The mounting was different when we looked into. I don't think we got an answer on the shaft spline though. We also did not figure out which option triggered the box on the dodge. Some had it, some did not.

I didn't feel like being the guinea pig to make something work either.

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
We already stated before Rock Auto is not a an Authorized reseller. You will also be left holding the bag on the warranty too.

The real question is did BBB/ Vision ever get a new shipment of the correct boxes from China? Last we heard they were on their way over. I was told to follow up a month after but I didn't. I honestly didn't have high hopes they would get a shipment that soon. I was really burned out on the whole deal and moved on to other Projects that needed to be tackled. Then I got covid...

As for the Dodge box. The mounting was different when we looked into. I don't think we got an answer on the shaft spline though. We also did not figure out which option triggered the box on the dodge. Some had it, some did not.

I didn't feel like being the guinea pig to make something work either.

Out of the ~10 PSC boxes I've got out there to customers, none have had issues. I usually push people that route as it is a tangible improvement over OEM.

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
It does kind of suck if you've already got something like a Kryptonite, PPE, etc but if you just have an OEM it's not a bad time to upgrade.
Like the new PPE 7/8 set up I went with? Or did you forget already... :LOL:
Totally made that decision on my own as I feel its a stronger set up.

Threeweight

Nov 25, 2017
On a tow rig/farm truck like mine (no lift, no significant off-roading, no power mods) is there much of a reason to go with a beefed up $$$$ 4 spline pitman arm over a Moog or AC Declo part?

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
On a tow rig/farm truck like mine (no lift, no significant off-roading, no power mods) is there much of a reason to go with a beefed up $$$$ 4 spline pitman arm over a Moog or AC Declo part?
Hell most farmers I know are harderon their trucks than anyone else lol. I would stick with stock AC Delco. Guys had issues with Moogs breaking in the past

SoCalMike

Dec 12, 2010
SoCal
Anyone buy the 6 bolt steering box for Napa or Oreilly? How are they holding up? I know they are expensive but i rather go that route vs rolling the dice with the other oprions. At least Napa or Oreilly is close by if need to exercise the lifetime warranty.

Just found the seal weeping on the input shaft of the steering box. I'm going to add some blue devil power steering fluid stop leak just for now until I figure out what box to get.

SoCalMike

Dec 12, 2010
SoCal
Like the new PPE 7/8 set up I went with? Or did you forget already...
Totally made that decision on my own as I feel its a stronger set up.
Did you go with the 7/8 forged pitman and idler arm with there 1.5 inch OE style center link? I been looking at that setup and like the simplicity of it. How do you like it? Not to many review on that setup.

I'm running the kryptonite ss series center link with all the goodies. I'm tired of the tire scrub I get while turning and wearing out the outside edge of my tires. Also want to get rid of the pitman/idler braces and get some turning radius back.

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
Did you go with the 7/8 forged pitman and idler arm with there 1.5 inch OE style center link? I been looking at that setup and like the simplicity of it. How do you like it? Not to many review on that setup.

I'm running the kryptonite ss series center link with all the goodies. I'm tired of the tire scrub I get while turning and wearing out the outside edge of my tires. Also want to get rid of the pitman/idler braces and get some turning radius back.
I Do have the setup, How ever I have not installed it. I did not want to run the Idler brace either. I like the looks of the 7/8 set up.

I purchased everything from Bdsankey. With the exception of the 1.5 inch bar. I found someone that purchased the wrong one and was selling at a discounted price that I could not pass up as it was still new in the box. I also went with the Kryptonite inner outer tierod setup and upper control arms.

I have been waiting on the 6 bolt box with 3 slots to install everything.

SoCalMike

Dec 12, 2010
SoCal
I Do have the setup, How ever I have not installed it. I did not want to run the Idler brace either. I like the looks of the 7/8 set up.

I purchased everything from Bdsankey. With the exception of the 1.5 inch bar. I found someone that purchased the wrong one and was selling at a discounted price that I could not pass up as it was still new in the box. I also went with the Kryptonite inner outer tierod setup and upper control arms.

I have been waiting on the 6 bolt box with 3 slots to install everything.

I like that. They have a kit to convert my kryptonite tierods back to stockish style and I could use them on the ppe setup.

I have about 4 years on this setup and so far it's still solid. You should see everyone's face when I'm turning in a parking lot at 1 or 2mph and the tires a squealing like a pig. Lol.

Steering box stopped leaking but now I found one of the high pressure hoses leaking. Bought some new hoses with hydraulic type hose. Supposed to be for extreme heat and cold. When the box taps out I will probably go with O'reilly's or Napa 6 bolt steering box with the 33 spline and 3 flats so I can run the ppe setup.

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
I like that. They have a kit to convert my kryptonite tierods back to stockish style and I could use them on the ppe setup.

I have about 4 years on this setup and so far it's still solid. You should see everyone's face when I'm turning in a parking lot at 1 or 2mph and the tires a squealing like a pig. Lol.

Steering box stopped leaking but now I found one of the high pressure hoses leaking. Bought some new hoses with hydraulic type hose. Supposed to be for extreme heat and cold. When the box taps out I will probably go with O'reilly's or Napa 6 bolt steering box with the 33 spline and 3 flats so I can run the ppe setup.
Those stupid hoses were the first things I had to do when I bought this truck 4 years ago. I did the 2011 Hydroboost recently as the original was leaking.

I have a good relationship at my local NAPA so the price is better for me. Plus they have a Lifetime warranty on the unit. I just haven't followed up to see if they got any New inventory.

Just an FYI, Brad Is a dealer for both Kryptonite and PPE. ;)

SoCalMike

Dec 12, 2010
SoCal
Those stupid hoses were the first things I had to do when I bought this truck 4 years ago. I did the 2011 Hydroboost recently as the original was leaking.

I have a good relationship at my local NAPA so the price is better for me. Plus they have a Lifetime warranty on the unit. I just haven't followed up to see if they got any New inventory.

Just an FYI, Brad Is a dealer for both Kryptonite and PPE. ;)
Awesome. I'll make sure to hit him up when the time comes. I rather spend my money with the supporting vendors.

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
So I tried again with NAPA this week and no luck... Still getting remaned 4 bolt in "New 6 bolt " boxes.

I now See that PSC is currently out of stock on the 6 bolt boxes as well...

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
I just had to remove my redhead box with under 20k miles on it. It went super sloppy on me out of nowhere, couldn't keep it straight on the road, constantly correcting the wheel, and then I started losing brakes. Picked up a junkyard box that ended up being a parts store reman, put a seal kit in it as they were trashed, and I now can drive my truck again. Haven't pulled the redhead apart yet to see what failed, but it has a ton of play in the input shaft.

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
The PSC boxes take ages to get but damn are they worth it. I've installed 4 now and every one of them has been great but the most mileage one of my customers has is ~15k so it's still early. They are tighter than just about any box I've seen and hasn't loosened up any at all. Hell, I've got one on order myself but the backorder is proving to be a pain.