DuraMaxin out the stock LBZ short block

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
I believe that 600 is safe with injectors, my tuner said 650 is safer on a stock Lbz motor with nozzles than 600 with stock nozzles
I know starlite is a respected tuner, but IMO that advice is just plain irresponsible. You guys all need to dial it back a bit. Just b/c one truck did something doesnt mean they all can.

Cknight199

Aug 23, 2012
Salt Lake City, Utah
I know starlite is a respected tuner, but IMO that advice is just plain irresponsible. You guys all need to dial it back a bit. Just b/c one truck did something doesnt mean they all can.

How is that advice irresponsible??? I didn't say its safe, just safer than 600 hp with large pulse

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
Im going to have to do head gaskets on my truck this fall (whenever I drive my truck up the long steep Teton pass it gets warm and pukes a bit of coolant). I just have a stock still-factory-sealed LBZ long block in my truck now (with 45% LLY injectors in the heads, and still running LLY electronics).

Ive had SoCal rebuilt LLY heads (original LLY heads that came with my truck from the factory, gone through by Guy and with his titanium valve springs), ProFab cast manifolds/up-pipes, ARP head studs, and a GT4718 all sitting on the shelf in my shop for probably over 2 years collecting dust.

Now that my head gaskets are getting weak, Im using that as an excuse to finally put all the parts on. So while I have the cab off doing head gaskets, Im going to put on the new heads, studs, manifolds, and im going to build a custom twin setup with the VVT and GT4718. Im going to put a wastegate around the VVT to bypass the tight LBZ VVT hotside when the big turbo gets going.

I might throw an alternate firing order cam in there at the same time.

The engine isnt coming out of the truck because I dont have the time or money to actually build it. But I figured while I have it apart to do head gaskets, I might as well put all the parts I have here on it and see what happens.

So when I get around to it, Ill post up about the GT4718/VVT twin build.

Ben

Ne-max

I like turtles
Nov 15, 2011
Lincoln, Ne
All dynos read differently, so don't go off of that. Go off of trap speed vs truck weight. Bigger injectors are good for making a big number on the dyno, pushing more fuel for that short pull, but a full run down the track you will drain them for sure. Generally, stock cp3's are good for 600rwhp, +/- 25.

Sent from my iPhone.

Amen. My buddy has a dyno. There is a big difference on his just between corrected and uncorrected. No one post what one they used. Seems like dynojets give better numbers then mustang dynos.

My new lb7 pump wont hang with my 50s. :baby:

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Don't call me kid, and so your saying 600 hp with stock fueling is safer than 650 hp with nozzles?

"Kid" is accurate, and a hell of a lot better than some other things I could've said.
Neither 600 on stock injectors or 650 on larger ones is "safe" by any means. Im damn tired of newbies coming on here and "promoting" higher and higher numbers as "safe".

Ne-max

I like turtles
Nov 15, 2011
Lincoln, Ne
I still have a lot to learn but isn't it the torque that takes out rods?

Cant you control torque better by being able to control your pulse width with bigger nozzles?

:confused:

Cknight199

Aug 23, 2012
Salt Lake City, Utah
"Kid" is accurate, and a hell of a lot better than some other things I could've said.
Neither 600 on stock injectors or 650 on larger ones is "safe" by any means. Im damn tired of newbies coming on here and "promoting" higher and higher numbers as "safe".

I'm a newbie? Okay bud whatever floats your boat.

I never said it was "safe" I was making the statement that 650 is "safER" with nozzles than 600 hp with a lot of timing and pulse.

Jacy_dzlguy

lots to learn...
Aug 27, 2011
South Florida

Cant you control torque better by being able to control your pulse width with bigger nozzles?

im no expert but i would think on a LBZ you would be more worried about the pistons with windows in them

Dirtymaxx03

Aug 4, 2009
Yes high timing with the stock injectors on giant tunes isn't awesome for a motor, 600hp isn't either. Nor is 650 hp with bigger injectors and lower timing.

I'm pretty sure I popped a head gasket
Iirc my biggest tune is like 3200us@28* The truck made 45psi out of this turbo. It's seen 50/50 water/meth for a while. Some nitrous, a lot of hard pulls that began with harsh burnouts.
When I got my new tunes for the turbo when I first put it on, I knew it was only a matter of time until something unpleasant would happen.

That being said I wish I woulda kept the stock turbo until I had another DD. adding air and fuel makes things dangerous lol

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az

Detorquing only goes so far. These motors were me we designed for this kind of hp, soon than later, something WILL let go. There is no if lol

I'm a newbie? Okay bud whatever floats your boat.

I never said it was "safe" I was making the statement that 650 is "safER" with nozzles than 600 hp with a lot of timing and pulse.

Both are just as unsafe. Your motor is only as good as its weakest link and your well beyond factory specs at this point. Just cause you run less timing doesn't mean your "making the motor safer". It still takes x amount of cylinder pressure to make y amount of power. Over 600hp on a lbz is in the "borrowed time" club.

I will say, it seems tuners are making stock trucks hold higher hp than what was even thought possible 5 years ago. This doesn't NOT mean everyone can achieve these goals. Been there, done that.

jacobdewey

This won't last long...
Jan 14, 2011
My old lb7 dynoed over 650hp 1200ftlbs many times on my hottest tune, but when it came time to run it on the track, my hottest tune was slower than my street tune. (but i always held good rail pressure) My dyno numbers said I make 650, my real world numbers (track) says I was only making 520-540. Dyno's are fun, but you can't reliably goo off those numbers. Both rods and headgaskets had issues. Anything more than a tow tune and exhaust is asking for trouble. On my second build, I'm saving up and doing it right from the start. Just my $.02