DuraMaxin out the stock LBZ short block

DIESELMAFIAPER.LB7

<----new hotness
Jan 17, 2010
idaho
shop.dieselmafiaperformance.com
Fwiw my lbz rods bent at 680+ though I did make 1393 ftlbs on those runs :D 366, 45% overs, dual pumps headstuds if you wanna stay "safe" stay at 600-620 hp

Go with id say 45% overs I made 600 hp with a 1800 pw and 20* timing and ran a 12.6 at full weight then I wanted a 11.xx run so got greedy :D

streetwise

Dec 8, 2009
Springfield OH
I have a very close combo and just made 600 with a failing cp3. loosing rail at 2200. I will be adding a 10mm stroker pump and also have manifolds, up-pipes, and bd intercooler, flex a lite fan kit on the way then back to danville to fine tune it.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
twining a truck and detorquing it is almost counter productive. One of the best thing about twins is the ability to have the power and torque down low in the RPM range compared to a big single. to detorque it you have to pull fuel and/or timing out of the bottom rpm range and the truck is gunna feel just like a big single when you finally bring that fuel/timing back in in the upper rpm range.

So in your case jason id go with a big single.

fuel wise, run the 60s on the stock pump and log the heck out of the tune for your tuner so he can set your pulse width to hold enough rail to keep power up but know your pretty much tapped out. if/when you add dual fuelers on top, things can get short really fast. your still on the ragged edge just on a stock pump so dont think your safe. i did that and now im running a built motor because of it.

Hot COCOAL

May the farce be with you
Jun 9, 2012
twining a truck and detorquing it is almost counter productive. One of the best thing about twins is the ability to have the power and torque down low in the RPM range compared to a big single. to detorque it you have to pull fuel and/or timing out of the bottom rpm range and the truck is gunna feel just like a big single when you finally bring that fuel/timing back in in the upper rpm range.

So in your case jason id go with a big single.

fuel wise, run the 60s on the stock pump and log the heck out of the tune for your tuner so he can set your pulse width to hold enough rail to keep power up but know your pretty much tapped out. if/when you add dual fuelers on top, things can get short really fast. your still on the ragged edge just on a stock pump so dont think your safe. i did that and now im running a built motor because of it.

My thoughts exactly on the twins, which is why I am running a "bigger than stock" single and planning to take it to a vgt72
About the cp3 running the 60 overs
That's what I was gonna do, just log it like crazy, fortunately after just a couple short calls I realized that many have done so before me, it would seem 620whp is all the stock cp3 is "known" to produce, with a good pump, so to meet my power goals, a modified pump or dual fuelers will be required:( while I can find several posts/threads/blogs of stock LBZ cp3's hitting 650-700 on a dyno, they would likely be a small minority in the community, and I don't wanna get this far to find out I didn't make it into the upper echelon of stock cp3 whp #'s and therefor didn't make my goal. I think I am gonna buck up and go with dual fueler kit. It's easy, proven and exceeds my needs both now and for my end goal of 850+ once some rods and slugs make their way into the block:angel:

arneson

Aug 14, 2011
stoughton, wisconsin
I think I'm close to 575 now, no issues running out of fuel yet, still holds 24k+ rail when w.o.t in the kill tune lol, not sure what the pw/us is in that tune?

Have u actually confirmed this number yet on dyno or track? Or is this still butt dyno numbers and guessing? have you rode/ drove many 575-650hp trucks? Raced yours against 600+hp trucks?

I see rail being a slight issue with 60s but many have done the 600-650hp range. Either way 60s were smart for once u get motor built, run it for awhile, then go to 100s.

Last edited:

arneson

Aug 14, 2011
stoughton, wisconsin
Never rode in a single turbo truck that i liked more then twins. Least not yet. Definitely not a 4094. On the street twins are more fun, spools faster and tows better forsure. Good friend of mine has a 06 with a 4094 and duramax tuner tuning stock sticks tho. Its fun, sounds better then it actually moves, but twins kill in everytime. Least my truck to his.

Hot COCOAL

Jun 9, 2012
Have u actually confirmed this number yet on dyno or track? Or is this still butt dyno numbers and guessing? have you rode/ drove many 575-650hp trucks? Raced yours against 600+hp trucks?

I see rail being a slight issue with 60s but many have done the 600-650hp range.

how bout you say ello to my little friend

:rofl:

Just ricer math...and educated guessing :rolleyes:

arneson

Aug 14, 2011
stoughton, wisconsin
Being u have a block set aside, shoot for your hp goal, run 60s and see what it makes. If your pump holds rail, u should be close to your goal. Just hope it lives long enough to enjoy it.

Hot COCOAL

Jun 9, 2012
Never rode in a single turbo truck that i liked more then twins. Least not yet. Definitely not a 4094. On the street twins are more fun, spools faster and tows better forsure. Good friend of mine has a 06 with a 4094 and duramax tuner tuning stock sticks tho. Its fun, sounds better then it actually moves, but twins kill in everytime. Least my truck to his.

:hail2:

Twins for the win:D
I did originally want to runs twins, but the power i want in the end can't be achieved on a stock charger...
I didn't want to use the stocker in a twin set up period. I didn't wanna build a set of twins up for a stock bottom end, only to set up, another set for when I built the engine. Eventually, and originally, I planned to run a 4718 over the 4094 or vgt72 on the built motor. Anymore, I think a vgt72 or a gtx4202 would/will suffice nicely on its own for the power goals I have. Hell, I have even been contemplating just running the gtx4202 now:eek:

arneson

Aug 14, 2011
stoughton, wisconsin
Guess it depends on your goal. Twins over stockers make 750+ easy with the right fueling. So wouldnt be much changin goin on once motor is built. If u dont pull very often a big single could be fun to.

Hot COCOAL

Jun 9, 2012
Guess it depends on your goal. Twins over stockers make 750+ easy with the right fueling. So wouldnt be much changin goin on once motor is built. If u dont pull very often a big single could be fun to.

Yeah I know, you can get up to 750 on a twin over stock, and really it's an enticing package, but I originally wanted to hit the 1000whp benchmark, i have since joining the forum settled for a more reasonable 850. For now I am just wanting to run the ragged edge of what an LBZ can handle and still have some time to gather the pistons and rods for the next step:D I was kinda hoping the stock pump would reach my goals and help me to save the money on duals or a modded single pump, doesn't look like its gonna happen tho, in the end I am gonna have to do one or the other anyways, so might as well bite the bullet and have everything ready now. I'm pretty sure dual fuelers are in my near future:angel:

SSchmi5519

LLY Cult Leader
Oct 19, 2008
Arizona
All dynos read differently, so don't go off of that. Go off of trap speed vs truck weight. Bigger injectors are good for making a big number on the dyno, pushing more fuel for that short pull, but a full run down the track you will drain them for sure. Generally, stock cp3's are good for 600rwhp, +/- 25.

Sent from my iPhone.

MACKIN

Smell My Finger...
Aug 14, 2006
Connecticut
Isn't this like the umpteenth thread on twins verses single building a motor thread you have going? I mean not for nothing but why don't you give your "COOL WIFE" your password let her log in discuss this and get the advice and make a friggen decision! :rolleyes:

Hot COCOAL

Jun 9, 2012
Isn't this like the umpteenth thread on twins verses single building a motor thread you have going? I mean not for nothing but why don't you give your "COOL WIFE" your password let her log in discuss this and get the advice and make a friggen decision! :rolleyes:

Oh sunshine, you make the world a brighter place:hug:

:roflmao:

hondarider552

Getting faster
May 28, 2008
Arizona

Seriously.
Aka x2

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
I think you all are nuckin futs with your "700hp on stock motor" talk. Have fun with your rebuilds.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Seriously.
Aka x2

you got no room to talk. Jason just posts his questions here over and over a few times instead of calling everyone in his contact list a few times over with the same question like a certain someone does :rofl: :angel: :hug:

brandon06dmax

the reckoning
Apr 29, 2013
jactionville nc
I guy on here went 11.69 on a stock lbz cp3 and there has been a few cases of lbzs going over 700 rwhp but they are rare but also this with a dsp5 you don't need to be on your big tune all the time wich I could almost guarantee would help keep it together longer so If you built a truck on the big tune makes 675 and on a dd tune makes 500 and only throw it in the bigger tunes on the track or a short pull it should last longer in theory