DuraMaxin out the stock LBZ short block

jacobdewey

This won't last long...
Jan 14, 2011
I believe that 600 is safe with injectors, my tuner said 650 is safer on a stock Lbz motor with nozzles than 600 with stock nozzles

Like james said, it takes x amount of cylinder pressure to make y amount of power. The only difference with bigger injectors vs stock is that your duration of high cylinder pressures is shorter when you have bigger sticks.

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
I'm a newbie? Okay bud whatever floats your boat.

I never said it was "safe" I was making the statement that 650 is "safER" with nozzles than 600 hp with a lot of timing and pulse.

:doh:

Yep, you're a newbie....and I dont own a boat.

James said everything I would've concerning "safe".
And yes, I've already "been there. done that", too.

hondarider552

Getting faster
May 28, 2008
Arizona
Being here before 08-12 lol.

Be easy on Tom, he is 100% correct. I have been there and done that as well.

My stock engine lasted a whole 2 weeks @ 500-550rwhp before it bent a rod and blew both headgaskets, so anything can happen. I started seeing the trend of "throw injectors in your truck is much safer" yet, you make more HP, so it may be "easier" to get the fuel in, it's harder on everything else.... Only way to make it "easier" is to turn the truck down.

After building my engine, I wouldn't even trust anything past 550rwhp in any engine.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
What qualifies as not being a newbie??

Where Tom is coming from is him being at this dmax hp game for a loooooooong time.

I wouldnt establish you as a newb but more of the misinformed/less educated as to just where and what these motors can and can't take. I know your just taking your tuners word for it but don't take it to heart. It can give false hope to what may be a ticking time bomb.

What Tom is getting at is the guys that joint the forum. Read a few threads where guys got big dyno numbers on stock motors and think that this then applys to the vast majority. Then they proceed to go around saying "dmaxes can make 700hp reliably stock with detorqued tuning and bigger injectors and more air". These guys have not seen the past in how many motors have popped over time even with said additions or done as some guys say to do to keep motors "safer" at high hp.

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
What qualifies as not being a newbie??

Knowing what your talking about.

Where Tom is coming from is him being at this dmax hp game for a loooooooong time.

I wouldnt establish you as a newb but more of the misinformed/less educated as to just where and what these motors can and can't take. I know your just taking your tuners word for it but don't take it to heart. It can give false hope to what may be a ticking time bomb.

What Tom is getting at is the guys that joint the forum. Read a few threads where guys got big dyno numbers on stock motors and think that this then applys to the vast majority. Then they proceed to go around saying "dmaxes can make 700hp reliably stock with detorqued tuning and bigger injectors and more air". These guys have not seen the past in how many motors have popped over time even with said additions or done as some guys say to do to keep motors "safer" at high hp.

After those replies, I dont think I have to say a dang thing. Perfectly said, b/c thats exactly what I see these new guys doing.
Its gone from 500 to 550 to 575 to 600 to 625 to 650 to 700...c'mon already. These engines are far from bulletproof.
I am a past Team "Borrowed Time" member, too.

I just miss 500rwhp with a stock turbo.
I havent brought out the ol' 12.40 tune in a couple years and rock a mileage tune from Steve every day now.
I really need to get back to work on the 1/2 ton.

arneson

Aug 14, 2011
stoughton, wisconsin
I havent brought out the ol' 12.40 tune in a couple years. :( I rock a mileage tune from Steve every day now. I really need to get back to work on the 1/2 ton.[/QUOTE]

I know how that goes, ive never even used my 4 and 5th tune since the twins. To scared. I know 3 is well in the borrowed time club area. Lol.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Lol I think you guys convinced my not to do injectors :D

Personally, I run my own theory based on what I've read, seen, learned and personally done but I don't expect my rig to last forever. I've already pre planned that this motor might have to come back out for some reason down the road. Then I may try something different theory wise and see if it works.

It's kinda like asking for a "safe stock trans ECM tune". There isn't one other than stock, anything over that is shortening the life of the trans

Cknight199

Aug 23, 2012
Salt Lake City, Utah
Personally, I run my own theory based on what I've read, seen, learned and personally done but I don't expect my rig to last forever. I've already pre planned that this motor might have to come back out for some reason down the road. Then I may try something different theory wise and see if it works.

It's kinda like asking for a "safe stock trans ECM tune". There isn't one other than stock, anything over that is shortening the life of the trans

Totally agree, I've already figured out what I'm putting in my motor down the road. :) I plan on it popping just hopefully not anytime soon at 550 hp.