LMM: Building a motor for dummies.

SIKDMAX

Highway Burnouts!
Sep 14, 2007
Central Coast, Cali
www.sikdmax.com
So, on a motor build, what needs to be done? I know this has been covered before in threads, anything all inclusive though? Anyone know of some sort of step by step? Forgive me for not searching, Im a little upset at the moment. :mad:

super diesel

<<<< Under Pressure
There's an thread on it right now in this section. Most of us just have to dig in and start goin for it. Keep posting on the progress and dont be worried to ask if theres a problem you encounter. Don't be afraid to yank it out. It looks worse than it is. Best of luck, and so sorry you have to go down this road.

LBZrcks

Jun 2, 2007
SoCal
So, on a motor build, what needs to be done? I know this has been covered before in threads, anything all inclusive though? Anyone know of some sort of step by step? Forgive me for not searching, Im a little upset at the moment. :mad:

Well first you want to pull the motor and tear it apart:angel::joker:

Then after you see the damage, and whether your block is still usable decide what you're gonna do. Build or find a cheap stocker.

Order the parts from Guy @ SoCal, send your block out to be machined then put it all together.

There is a lot of data that Henry has posted here with specs, but we used alldatadiy.com for more/other info we couldn't find.

Jun 28, 2007
NE Pa

I am going to be doing a minimal build in the future. Rods, cut LLY pistons and new gaskets. Prob a set of head studs. Hoping to be under $4500. But I'm only going to run around 750 RWHP, so I won't need much over stock. Gasket and seals. If you don't want to make big power just put some cut pistons LB7 or LLY and new gaskets and seal:D

Jun 28, 2007
NE Pa
Well first you want to pull the motor and tear it apart:angel::joker:

Then after you see the damage, and whether your block is still usable decide what you're gonna do. Build or find a cheap stocker.

Order the parts from Guy @ SoCal, send your block out to be machined then put it all together.

There is a lot of data that Henry has posted here with specs, but we used alldatadiy.com for more/other info we couldn't find.

And don't forget Henry's build could have been less because he included the price of 2CP3 and sticks;)

And like I said befor, if you don't want crazy power forget the snowball effect and don't get things like a cam, main studs, exc. Its pretty easy to make 750hp with one of these motors, its just trying to keep the rods straight, pistons unholey, and heads from lifting. When on a budget focus on these 3 key points and forget all the other stuff you can add to the inside;)

SIKDMAX

Highway Burnouts!
Sep 14, 2007
Central Coast, Cali
www.sikdmax.com
The plan always has been MPI Twins.... but that was gonna be in about 6 months when I had money for it and a build. Now.... not so sure. Rods and Pistons and ARP Studs from guy at a minimum. Hope m y block is good still. More to come later.

malibu795

misspeelleerr
Apr 28, 2007
in the buckeye state
IF you have to get new pistons is going to be a killer.. if you can stay std bore i got a pair of LB7 (std) pistons that are in good shape mat..

cast piston, billet rods and main stud, deck, line hone mains, and bore/hone block. that will handle 800rwhp easily

Jun 28, 2007
NE Pa
IF you have to get new pistons is going to be a killer.. if you can stay std bore i got a pair of LB7 (std) pistons that are in good shape mat..

cast piston, billet rods and main stud, deck, line hone mains, and bore/hone block. that will handle 800rwhp easily

IMO main studs are a waste of $. Especially under 800 hp. When I have seen proof of cap walk then I will say you need studs AND steel main caps or a girdle. Pretty hard for a cross bolted cap to walk if its not flexing. And if it is flexing bolts aren't going to fix it:eek:

LBZrcks

Jun 2, 2007
SoCal
IMO main studs are a waste of $. Especially under 800 hp. When I have seen proof of cap walk then I will say you need studs AND steel main caps or a girdle. Pretty hard for a cross bolted cap to walk if its not flexing. And if it is flexing bolts aren't going to fix it:eek:

When we took Tommy's block and some parts to Guy he showed us where it had already walked a little bit.

Jun 28, 2007
NE Pa
When we took Tommy's block and some parts to Guy he showed us where it had already walked a little bit.

I would like to see pics of cap walk. I have always belived in doing steel mains or a girdle with main studs. In all motors I have seen studs did very little if not nothing without better caps. Studs can't stop the cap itself from flexing. JMO:eek:

LBZrcks

Jun 2, 2007
SoCal
I would like to see pics of cap walk. I have always belived in doing steel mains or a girdle with main studs. In all motors I have seen studs did very little if not nothing without better caps. Studs can't stop the cap itself from flexing. JMO:eek:

Well I don't have any, but the studs do help to an extent imo. After that there is also billet caps for our trucks:)

Jun 28, 2007
NE Pa
Well I don't have any, but the studs do help to an extent imo. After that there is also billet caps for our trucks:)

Middle caps are easy. I've made several sets for different motors of mine over the years and may make a set when I do my motor. They are really simple to make with a lathe and milling machine:)

Stingpuller

The Pusher Man
Jan 11, 2007
central Ohio
Studs

I agree with Lonnie on the caps. The cap is only so strong. With a cross bolted main i'd think it would be hard to better it. I think girdles are a band aid but thats just my belief. Jeff

SIKDMAX

Highway Burnouts!
Sep 14, 2007
Central Coast, Cali
www.sikdmax.com
Im more worried about the machine work and R&R of the engine then I am parts or the fundage. No good machine shops around here that I know of, so everything is gonna have to get shuttled down to SoCal and back. Im not sure if I trust myself with assembly either, which means the added cost of having it all assembled :(

Jun 28, 2007
NE Pa
I agree with Lonnie on the caps. The cap is only so strong. With a cross bolted main i'd think it would be hard to better it. I think girdles are a band aid but thats just my belief. Jeff

Girdles are a big help when caps aren't cross bolted and the girdle ties into the oil pan rails. (only supported on one side) It prevents the top of the cap from moving forward and backwards, but I can't see that much benifit when the cap is already supported on 3 sides.....other than to stop the center of the cap from flexing out, but on Ford small blocks we used to just mill the top of the cap flat and put a 3/8" strap on top of it with small block Chevy main studs and this would help to stop the center from flexing out.

Jun 28, 2007
NE Pa
Im more worried about the machine work and R&R of the engine then I am parts or the fundage. No good machine shops around here that I know of, so everything is gonna have to get shuttled down to SoCal and back. Im not sure if I trust myself with assembly either, which means the added cost of having it all assembled :(

Assembly is easy, just take your time and go step by step. Speak with Henry. I'm pretty sure that after a talk with him you will feel confident it doing it.

Henry is top notch with assembly and pays very close attention to all the small details that make for a excelent build;)

Stingpuller

The Pusher Man
Jan 11, 2007
central Ohio
Motors

I have built more motors than I care to count and have NEVER pulled the main out of a motor unless it had detenated its self to death! Still have never broke a cap. I have seen caps that looked like the 70's disco was a happen but not broken. I have a few BBF pulling motors with over 800 hp stock blocks with 2 bolt mains and no problems. They run them at 8000 rpm for 15 to 20 sec. at a time. I have a girdle for one at the shop I would give someone. Its new too, Its just junk. Most of that stuff the way its made is a band aid. If the motors happy you wont have any problems unless something goes wrong. Jeff

Last edited:

Kat

Wicked Witch of the West
Aug 2, 2006
Norco, CA
You know, Kinda like a wife! :D Jeff

:eek:

Hey I don't care if I break shit. Because I know it's Pat and Robert that have to fix it:frog:

Pat- I don't want to make another pass in the truck, the air sucks and it's not worth it.
Me- Just let me make one pass with the bottle
Pat- You know the truck doesn't like nitrous
Me- It's not me has to fix it :angel:
Pat- OK 1 pass
Me-10.59 :fluffy: and it didn't break

Actually I think that is the last time I ran the truck.