LMM: Building a motor for dummies.

ripmf666

Sep 20, 2006
Wentzville Mo
Well first you want to pull the motor and tear it apart:angel::joker:

Then after you see the damage, and whether your block is still usable decide what you're gonna do. Build or find a cheap stocker.

Order the parts from Guy @ SoCal, send your block out to be machined then put it all together.

There is a lot of data that Henry has posted here with specs, but we used alldatadiy.com for more/other info we couldn't find.

LOL it was there Tommy said he just did not see it lol if not ask and I will post it.Alldata is ok but it is missing some info that is needed also.

ripmf666

Sep 20, 2006
Wentzville Mo
:eek:

Hey I don't care if I break shit. Because I know it's Pat and Robert that have to fix it:frog:

Pat- I don't want to make another pass in the truck, the air sucks and it's not worth it.
Me- Just let me make one pass with the bottle
Pat- You know the truck doesn't like nitrous
Me- It's not me has to fix it :angel:
Pat- OK 1 pass
Me-10.59 :fluffy: and it didn't break

Actually I think that is the last time I ran the truck.

HMMM and Casper did not have main studs so for half the builds that ae done here you can save yourselfs 228 bucks is studs and another 240 for the line hone, Rods and Piston are around 4900,head studs were 530,grade c head gaskets 164 for the set and other seals 150 area and and stock (main bolts and side bolts 50 bucks)I have 10,800 in mine loose cp3 and sticks with machine work 8,400.00

slowlmm

Mar 2, 2008
so cal
no problem let us know how it goes. have you checked injection rates yet ? would be strange if it was piston 3-6. do you only have white smoke coming out ?

camcojb

Dec 10, 2007
Has seen 20-25 runs on the strip and I beat on it daily, has only seen a race 500+ tune in it.

I think the final straw was a 0-135 run against an M5 two nights ago on the street.... of course I wasnt gonna back out of it but Im pretty sure my EGTs were pegged :eek:

Just over 15k miles with the built trans/tune in.

almost exactly the same amount of miles on mine with the built trans and tune, and it also let go. My stock engine should be here in a couple days, and the twins next month. Then hopefully my original motor is okay for a build, but that'll be a while.

Jody

RENODMAX

Dead Wrong
Mar 4, 2008
let me know if you need anything in the way of parts or tech support matt. i can save you some dough. :hug:

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
I'll jump for yah matt....

(1) What things (including but not limited to camera, baggies, containers, tools, markers etc.) should one gather for the dissasembly of the engine?
(2) Any particular order for the tear down once the engine is out of the truck? What should or needs to come off first, second, third....
(3) Any particular hint/tips for removing a specific part? Like the cam, crank, etc. Any particular to or not to store a particular part once removed?
(4) When taking the block (does anything need to go to the machinist with the block? if so, what?) to the machinist what do you need to ask them to check out for you? Can someone or has someone already provided the specs they need to check for? If not, can someone link to where they are or post them in this thread?
(5) Assuming the bores are fine, deck height is good, etc. What machining needs to be done? Specs?
(6) Re-assembly - any particular order? Which type of lube goes where? how much?
(7) Any hints/tips/tricks for installing certain parts? i.e. X piece should slide in smoothly, no force needed. if it's tight to get in, something isn't right. find out what is making it tight before moving on. OR Y part should make a snapping noise or click when full pushed in.
(8) whats next after its assembled? is it automatically ready to go in? do you try to turn the crank a few times to be sure it will at least do that? :D
(9) once it's back in and you think you have all the lines, wires, hoses, etc. hooked up is there any particular "initial start up proceedure"???
(10) once started for the first time, how long should you let it run, assuming it starts and is running alright? 10-sec? 10-min? up to operating temp? doesn't matter?

maybe getting some of that answered would make this a nice sticky. Yes, I realize some of that may be pretty trivial for some but it might not be for everyone. I also realize the answers to some of those questions will take a great length of time to completely type out an answer for. It would be really helpful though. :angel:

IF THERE IS ALREADY SOME OF THIS POSTED SOMEWHERE, PERHAPS SOME COPY AND PASTING INTO THIS ONE THREAD WOULD WORK???? OR MAYBE THERE'S ALREADY A MANUAL SOMEWHERE THAT COVERS ALL OF THIS???? IF SO, WHERE TO GET THAT BEAST AND A PART NUMBER WOULD CERTAINLY BE MOST HELPFUL. :D

C-ya

SIKDMAX

Highway Burnouts!
Sep 14, 2007
Central Coast, Cali
www.sikdmax.com
Wow Mitch... thanks!

I already have the camera on the bench along with several sharpies and a box of zip loc bags and a notepad to write what each picture I take is.

Also... any type of steps or patterns to follow on engine removal?

So far its hood off, air intake off, one or both fenders are going to come off, along with the grill/bumper/lights. Then drain engine oil (going to send a sample off to blackstone for analysis). Now what? LOL.... Im scared! :eek:

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
Wow Mitch... thanks!

I already have the camera on the bench along with several sharpies and a box of zip loc bags and a notepad to write what each picture I take is.

So far its hood off, air intake off, one or both fenders are going to come off, along with the grill/bumper/lights. Then drain engine oil (going to send a sample off to blackstone for analysis). Now what? LOL.... Im scared! :eek:

I put some pics up on my facebook matt

you have a pm

SIKDMAX

Highway Burnouts!
Sep 14, 2007
Central Coast, Cali
www.sikdmax.com
Let me make it clear Im not blaming the tune at all... I had over 25 1/4 mile runs at the track, and 15k of hard driving on it.... I got WOT at LEAST once every time I drive it... do runs from 0-100, 60-120, street race it, etc etc all the time. I knew it wasnt gonna last forever. I think the big killer was the high speed run I had a few nights ago where my EGTs were buried.

Jun 28, 2007
NE Pa
matt what tunes were you running?

McRat race... Im at work all day but I installed EFI Live on this computer earlier to check my tune and get some vitals out of it --- pulse width, duration etc.... just havent had time yet.

interesting...

Not really. I really don't think tuning has anything to do with this. The fact remains that the pistons in the LBZ/LMM are junk and can only take so much abuse. Several people have run similar tuning with no issues;)

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
Wow Mitch... thanks!

This is, by far, gonna be the best guide for removing the engine IMO. Brandon does incredible, detailed DIY threads. I wish he had his DIY build up thread done and posted. He is incredibly detailed and takes excellent pictures of pretty much everything!

This is on DP so make a new screen name if you have to. :angel: It'll be worth it. :rofl:

BMDMAX's Guide To Engine Removal Hotness

if you insist on NOT going to dieselplace.com, he has his own site outlining it as well I think.

http://www.bmdmax.com/DDRemoval.htm and he said it is NOT Mozilla/Firefox friendly. IE only.

Hope that helps on the engine removal. Now if we could just get some answers to my questions. :D Perhaps someone is busy typing?!?! :angel: