2007-2014 GM Truck/SUV BCM custom tuning!!!

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
Ben, I see you're back online a little bit. Interested in talking about your recent collaboration with Fleece that I saw on IG?

EDIT by ben: I just changed the thread title to better reflect the topic.

Last edited by a moderator:

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
Yes, I cracked the 2007-2014 BCM code and have reverse engineered most of the calibration parameters.

Brayden is handling distribution for me and helping with his expertise in those areas because Ive always been terrible at actually getting things marketed and distributed/released effectively. His help and advice in these areas has been invaluable!

Ross and Paul at EFILive must also be given a HUGE amount of credit with tweaking the EFILive software to be able to flash the BCM. Obviously the BCM is a different module and has its own unique flash procedure that is different than any existing GM engine/transmisison controllers. So they had to rework things in the software and V2/Autocal firmware to be able to access the BCM.

An excellent team effort between the four of us. :cool:

Ive been hacking the BCM's for a while, but I never talked about it publicly because I didnt have any way to distribute the "tune" files. I had to bench flash my custom calibrations into the BCM's here using special software. Obviously would have been a pain in the ass to have everyone send me their BCM's, I flash each one on the bench, ship them back out blah blah blah.

But EFILive came to the rescue, so now I can simply send out the custom calibrations just like anyone would an EFILive ECM tune. Brayden and I can email out the BCM files, and anyone can easily flash their BCM with their existing Autocal or Flashscan V2.

BCM reflash time is about 6 seconds. :thumb:

Obviously I have hundreds and hundreds of hours into this...there is no pretty EFILive tuning software interface to tweak BCM parameters. I have to completely reverse engineer all of the code from raw hex binary dumps.

There will never be any end-user tuning capabilities like with EFILive tuning software, no mapping support etc. You will not be able to "adjust things yourself". EFILive is only used as a flash tool to get my custom files downloaded into the BCM's.

The BCM tunes will all be VIN-locked, because they are vehicle-specific and things can go very wrong if you put the wrong tune in your truck....and obviously we dont want dickhead tune thieves re-distributing tunes either.

I can tune pretty much every GM car, truck, and SUV...gas and diesel....from the mid-2000's to early/mid-2010's. Off the top of my head, here are all the vehicles I can tune:

2006-2013 Impala
2007-2016 Acadia/Traverse
2006-2012 Cadillac DTS/DeVille
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS
2007-2009 Cadillac SRX
2007-2009 Equinox
2007-2014 Tahoe/Suburban/Escalade/Yukon
2008-2017 Express van
2008-2009 Pontiac G8
2007.5-2014 Sierra/Silverado HD
2007.5-2013 Sierra/Silverado half ton

I dunno a couple more Im forgetting? You can thank GM for using that same BCM on such a huge range of vehicles. :cool:

Ben

Last edited:

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
On all vehicles newer than what I listed above, GM has migrated over to the Global-A electrical architecture....which uses a completely different BCM etc.

The only vehicle still in current production that still uses the older electrical architecture and older BCM is the 2017 Express vans...to my knowledge, every other GM truck/car is global-A by now.

Ive been working on reverse engineering the new global-A BCM code, but EFILive does not support flashing on it....so I'd have to bench flash them by hand.

Hopefully Ross and Paul will look into adding global-A BCM support down the road so I can then start offering BCM tuning for the 2015+ trucks.....but there is no definitive timeline right now SO DONT ANNOY THE EFILIVE CREW WITH QUESTIONS ABOUT IT!!!!
:)

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
In case anyone is curious, this is how I custom calibrate/tune the BCM's.

Attachments

• BCM_HEX.jpg
    BCM_HEX.jpg
    200.2 KB · Views: 289

quinton

Nov 28, 2011
Granbury Tx.
In case anyone is curious, this is how I custom calibrate/tune the BCM's.

09bf1f58e6642cc2822eeaac06f67e06.jpg

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
Curious what are some of the neat features you can do in the bcm?

There is a pretty extensive list of things I can adjust and tweak.

EXTEND THE REMOTE START TIMER!!!! .....basically make it unlimited.

LED turn signal compatibility, make it so the blinkers wont hyperflash when you install LED turn signals....no need to splice in stupid resistors.

Add manual high-idle feature via the cruise control buttons

Change the night-time lighting configurations, which lights come on automatically when you hit the unlock button on the remote at night...I always thought it was obnoxious how it turned the low beam headlights on....so I changed mine to turn on the fog lights instead. Its better for HID's anyways, so they arent turning on/off/on/off.

Reconfigure Canadian trucks to US-spec...from the factory, Canadian trucks you cannot turn off the headlights at night, and cannot turn off the Daytime Running Lights during the day....so if you are in Canada, I change the config back to USA, so you can manually turn off the headlights at night if you want to.

Disable the automatic night time headlights if you want to...idk why some people would want this, I personally love auto headlights, but some people are afraid of and stubborn about "technology"

Disable daytime running lights...
.people with HID's should do this because its bad for the HID's to run at the reduced DRL voltage.

Reconfigure daytime running light setup.....I can set the truck to use the front turn signals as DRL's, instead of the low beam headlights. I personally really like this, gives the truck a 01-07 style DRL look. :cool:

headlights automatically on with wipers....makes it so if the wipers have been on for more than a minute or two, it automatically turns on the headlights for you.

one-touch-lane-change config......from the factory, the blinker only auto-blinks 3 times when you bump the turn signal lever for a lane change...this isnt enough, so I changed it to 5-blinks.

Auto door locks configuration.......some people hate the auto door locks, I dunno why....but I can change that if you dont like auto door locks.

FOG LIGHTS ON WITH HIGH BEAMS!!!....dont have to hack your wiring and use diodes and crap....plus the fog light indicator on the dash works properly...if you hack up the wiring and use diodes, the fog light indicator doesnt work properly and you cant manually turn OFF the fog lights if you want to....with the BCM program, the fog lights work the way they should.

Cargo light config....set it so the bed cargo light is controlled by a separate switch...this is really annoying on the 07-14 trucks, the cargo light is tied to the dome light switch....I reconfigure it so you can turn it on with the e-brake or headlight switch or whatever you want.

Door chime configuration....
.I can make it so the door chime only lasts for a minute or so if you leave the door open with the key in the ignition....this is annoying if you have the door open working on something, the chime will just keep going forever....I have it set so it kills the chime after a minute or so.

Interior instrument panel lights dimming.....at night, its impossible to dim the backlighting down all the way....this is annoying if you want it completely dark inside...I configure it to make the lights actually go out when you turn the dimmer knob down all the way.

Improve tap-shift response......make the tapshift buttons respond slightly quicker.

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
But thats just a small list....there is so much more detailed crap ive also found in the code, even down to super nitty-gritty things like the actual length of the horn "chirp" when you hit lock on the remote.

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
Heres the daytime running light reprogram I was talking about...uses the front turn signals as DRL's instead of the headlights.

And what happens when I hit unlock on the truck at night....fog lights come on instead of the headlights.

Last pic is the manual high idle, activated via cruise control buttons.

Attachments

• highidle.jpg
    highidle.jpg
    185.4 KB · Views: 180
  • DRL.jpg
    DRL.jpg
    189.4 KB · Views: 181
  • IMG_2210.jpg
    IMG_2210.jpg
    209.3 KB · Views: 185

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
Just read through you list of examples. I want most of those

Does the BCM determine what is displayed in the cluster? Can you change the tap shift gear indicator in the cluster so it shows what gear you are in all of the time while in drive?

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Ben, would this cause any complications if the dealer flashed in an "updated" cal due to a TSB or something? i take it you could also fix the old cal to match the updated one as well being you can access everything about the BCM?

this is really cool! tinkering that kind of stuff is always cool to me. really lets you make the truck your own and thoroughly enjoy it.

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
Ben, would this cause any complications if the dealer flashed in an "updated" cal due to a TSB or something? i take it you could also fix the old cal to match the updated one as well being you can access everything about the BCM?.

Keep in mind, this model BCM was first introduced in 2006 and it was designed around 2002ish....its extremely unlikely that GM will ever come out with any future software updates for it at this point.

I think the most recent GMT-900 BCM-related TSB and software update was like 4 or 5 years ago??

I build these custom calibrations with all of the latest updates and improvements anyways.

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
Can you disable the factory feature of blocking NAV Use while moving ???

That for me is worth the price !!!

I hate the NAV is locked out while moving !!!!

:thumb:

No, thats in the nav unit software unfortunately.

It will never be possible to flash the nav unit software with EFILive because the radio is on low-speed GMLAN. The V2/Autocal doesnt have the hardware in it to communicate/flash on the low speed bus.