Yellow antifreeze

x MadMAX DIESEL

<<<< No Horsepower
Dec 30, 2008
Lexington, Ky
There's nothing wrong with dexcool. There's something wrong when they don't design an engine around it and try and use it. Like the gmt800. Dexcools just fine in our trucks

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Mixing DC and regular will get you a gooey brown sludge throughout your cooling system and eventually kill your engine.
Had a buddy with a '97 Camaro 3.8 who had the Instant Oil Change places top off his cooling system, but those monkeys didnt know DC from green.
His engine blew up when the cooling system finally gummed completely up. Man, it was bad.
Had to replace the engine, install new radiator, hoses, heater core......EVERYTHING had to be changed out. I did that swap the year I had the cast on my hand (for those who remember that oops). It was a very expensive mistake on his part, but he's put almost 150,000 miles on that car since.

Lol funny you mention that

my brother called me a while back saying his GF put green coolant in their car to fillup the empty coolant reservoir on their 06 malibu max. on her way up to vegas it started to get hot and not cool down. she had the common sense to pull over and shut it off and call my brother who was in vegas working. Needless to say, she limped it back home (no idea how hot she let it get :rolleyes:). he calls me telling me what happened knowing your not suppose to do that and what to do. i had him flush the system, add a half a gallon of simple green concentrate to the resi, then fill the rest with water. Ran the car till it was nice and hot on the temp gauge, then flushed the system. he did that twice and it was coming out pretty clean. so i had him fill it one more time the same way and go drive it round the block a few time to see how it did. Wasnt going over operating temp. So i had him drive it like that for a day or two keeping a close eye on temp and he flushed it again after that, Filled it will DexCool and shes been good since. I think he lucked out BIG time it didnt pop a HG on his GF drive home and didnt gum everything up to the point it wouldnt come out

Hot COCOAL

May the farce be with you
Jun 9, 2012
Lol funny you mention that

my brother called me a while back saying his GF put green coolant in their car to fillup the empty coolant reservoir on their 06 malibu max. on her way up to vegas it started to get hot and not cool down. she had the common sense to pull over and shut it off and call my brother who was in vegas working. Needless to say, she limped it back home (no idea how hot she let it get :rolleyes:). he calls me telling me what happened knowing your not suppose to do that and what to do. i had him flush the system, add a half a gallon of simple green concentrate to the resi, then fill the rest with water. Ran the car till it was nice and hot on the temp gauge, then flushed the system. he did that twice and it was coming out pretty clean. so i had him fill it one more time the same way and go drive it round the block a few time to see how it did. Wasnt going over operating temp. So i had him drive it like that for a day or two keeping a close eye on temp and he flushed it again after that, Filled it will DexCool and shes been good since. I think he lucked out BIG time it didnt pop a HG on his GF drive home and didnt gum everything up to the point it wouldnt come out

That was pretty damn smart James...
Can't say I woulda thunk to use diluted simple green in the coolant system
:thumb:

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
I did the injector cups in a buddy's 7.3 PowerStroke. The coolant was full of diesel. He used (way too much) Simple Green afterwards to clean it out. Got all the diesel out, but getting the Simple Green residue out... good luck. He's flushed it 6+ times now, and it is finally coming out clean, instead of foamy.

So, pro tip: When using Simple Green, don't use 2 gallons of concentrate :roflmao:

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
I did the injector cups in a buddy's 7.3 PowerStroke. The coolant was full of diesel. He used (way too much) Simple Green afterwards to clean it out. Got all the diesel out, but getting the Simple Green residue out... good luck. He's flushed it 6+ times now, and it is finally coming out clean, instead of foamy.

So, pro tip: When using Simple Green, don't use 2 gallons of concentrate :roflmao:

:roflmao: i was afraid of the same, hence the 1/2 gallon

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
2 GALLONS of SG?!? Holee shit. :roflmao::roflmao:

Andy, no way to prove it.

James, it was so bad the brown stuff had congealed in the radiator. There was no cleaning it out. Man, did I bitch him out about it, too. But what ya gonna do? It was his only transportation. :(
Found a 25,000 mile replacement 3.8 in Detroit for $500 (going to buy that is a story unto itself :eek:), bought the radiator and heater core for him, and Merchant allowed me the use of one of his lifts so I could do the swap/cleanup. He paid me back over the next year or so, plus he was our babysitter anytime we needed one. Thats what friends do for one another.

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
2 GALLONS of SG?!? Holee shit. :roflmao::roflmao:

Andy, no way to prove it.

James, it was so bad the brown stuff had congealed in the radiator. There was no cleaning it out. Man, did I bitch him out about it, too. But what ya gonna do? It was his only transportation. :(
Found a 25,000 mile replacement 3.8 in Detroit for $500 (going to buy that is a story unto itself :eek:), bought the radiator and heater core for him, and Merchant allowed me the use of one of his lifts so I could do the swap/cleanup. He paid me back over the next year or so, plus he was our babysitter anytime we needed one. Thats what friends do for one another.

Haha well least that worked out!

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
If the yellow stuff the OP is talking about is indeed G-05, I tried it once before in an older CORVETTE. The owner absolutely had to have an extended life coolant(don't know why), and didn't want DEX-COOL. Ran it in it, and it kept overheating in traffic. Even after putting in a BECOOL radiator, electric and engine driven fans, still overheated in traffic. Swapped it out for green ZEREX, and no more overheating. The thing I didn't like about it was how oily it felt, it actually left an oil sheen on the cooling jackets when I drained it out. Take it for what it's worth, but when a coolant change stops overheating, that's not a good indicator of how good that coolant was.

OregonDMAX

NOT IN OREGON, NO DURAMAX
Apr 28, 2013
Goodyear, AZ
GMT-400 is 88-98 trucks

just busting your balls :D :hug:

colorado trucks are GMT-355

For a little while I though the GMT platform numbers were related to year, until I went to work for GM then realized that was definitely not the case haha at first it really made no sense at all but after you work with them enough it even makes less sense :roflmao: I just got used to seeing the platform numbers and knew what they were

workin' diesel

factory tuned
Nov 13, 2010
Coalhust, AB Canada
we use some 'yellowish' coolant in our shop for our trucks. Supposedly it can be mixed with other coolants and not be a problem. I just take the bosses word for it and don't ask questions!:thumb:

durallymax

Apr 26, 2008
Under The Hood
Diesel additive for coolant?!?!? The coolant never encounters anything different in a diesel from a gasser. other than run cooler, and at a lower RPM. So what lubricant is needed other than for customer being convinced to buy it?

While it does not pertain to our trucks, wet sleeve diesels do need a coolant designed to be run in that environment to avoid pitting. In simple terms, bubbles are formed and once on the surface of the liner will "pop" and over time cause a hole to form. In older coolants, the addition of SCA's gave you this protection, but it was a pain because you had to do it often and you ran into issues with silicate buildup. Thus the industry transitioned to OAT ELC's with no maintenance and longer life.

Add into that the engines that want Nitrate free coolant (a lot of Euros) and things get interesting.

Theres also PG coolants if you work in "sensitive" environments where a spill could be an issue.

There is a lot that goes into a coolant. IMO coolant in HD diesels is just as important as engine oil. Crappy coolant maintenance can ruin an engine just as fast.

I use Delo ELC 50/50 in all of our stuff. Buy it in bulk pretty cheap actually, only a couple dollars more than regular green. I wouldn't use regular green in anything anyways. There isn't much that would be better off running fully formulated (old school green IAT) versus the modern OAT coolants. Benefits aside, the cost difference just makes sense. With ELC there are no maintenance costs, no SCA's, no filters to change, etc. The lifespan is obviously the big saver. 8yrs/750k miles/15k hrs for Delo ELC and many other HD ELC's, versus 2yrs/50k/2k for the old greenie. Doesn't take very many brain cells to figure that out.

The reason I buy 50/50 is to keep things simple. I'm not the only one topping things off, various people are using it and not everyone is the best at mixing coolants properly. Not to mention all of the wasted coolant from dumping the unknown jugs. Then theres the wasted time and the fact our water has plenty of deposits in it.

I have been hearing a lot about this yellow antifreeze having the diesel additive (lubricant) already in it and much better for diesel engines including heavy equipment. Just looking for some opinions or people who can back this up before I flush and change my coolant.

P.S. currently running prestone green with additive, first thing I did when truck was purchased was to get that dexcool crap out of the truck

Color means nothing.

COLOR MEANS NOTHING!!!!!

Dexcool is not that great, but going backwards to fully formulated is not really the right answer either.

I lol'd when the guy I bought my TBSS tried using the green coolant as a selling point and now I'm stuck using the green coolant in it:mad:
Well, I could run dexcool but supposedly once you contaminate the coolant system with anything else the long life beneficial properties of dexcool are null and void. I don't see anything "wrong" with using standard glycol based coolant tho, just need to keep the system maintained more frequently

You can flush it out...

Every coolant is glycol based...

Use Cascade instead next time, no foam, works great. Cat, Cummins and other OEM's also sell a few different cooling system cleaners you can use as well.

colorado trucks are GMT-355

This Ben or Bri?