Will you see a boost increase with banks?

serpa4

Feb 5, 2007
Just currious...Any boost increase with banks intake and super scoop 1,2 psi maybe, maybe none?

cdbright

JUST RENT IT
Dec 16, 2008
Salt Lake City, UT
boost gain

i just installed the banks ram air kit, no scoop since i can't get much speed with all the damb trafic, but i went from 32 to 34 already, i have heard up to 38 buyt have not seen it yet. However it does seem to build psi alot faster

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
Well, we put the Banks intake on, and sealed it to make it true ram air.

HP on the dyno went up when we aimed the fan at the intake, and that's very slow air. When it was tested at the track, the ET fell.

Ram air debates are as old as hotrodding. Some say it does nothing (scientists) and some say it makes power (racers). I've seen it work on several cars and of course, a truck.

Samdweezel05

Jul 21, 2008
Well, we put the Banks intake on, and sealed it to make it true ram air.

HP on the dyno went up when we aimed the fan at the intake, and that's very slow air. When it was tested at the track, the ET fell.

Ram air debates are as old as hotrodding. Some say it does nothing (scientists) and some say it makes power (racers). I've seen it work on several cars and of course, a truck.

Your testing means nothing. It is required that the tests be performed by some kind of certified research facility before the results can be considered accurate. There is no way that an untrained individual such as your self could even begin to understand the pysics involved. Testing with a dyno and a drag strip, that's just crazy talk.

Phil

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
Your testing means nothing. It is required that the tests be performed by some kind of certified research facility before the results can be considered accurate. There is no way that an untrained individual such as your self could even begin to understand the pysics involved. Testing with a dyno and a drag strip, that's just crazy talk.

Phil

:D

I'll take any placebo I can get if it drops our ET's. ;)

mytmousemalibu

Cut your ride, sissy!
Apr 12, 2008
Kansas
On my Malibu wagon drag car, a while back we put a cowl hood on it and built a sealed carb tray so it only draws outside air. One would think that this design would draw negative pressure if you look at it but the car dropped .20 on my ET from it. Cooler air is mo betta.

When i worked at Patterson Racing, they were doing the pro-stock truck program. Well hood scoops wernt allowed in PST. So they used a Ram air set-up on the truck, the trucks whole grill was used as the inlet (Dakota truck) and under the hood was a huge elaborate carbon fiber tray that directed the air to the carb. I swear i remember Todd saying they get 2-3 psi of intake charge! Food for thought;)

Stingpuller

The Pusher Man
Jan 11, 2007
central Ohio
Nice info

Nice info to share, Thanks. I was working at jegs at the time and yes they had a LOT of time in the air pan. Many $ spent. It was a fine line to get enough volume(at launch) to feed the carbs with no pressure, but small enough to direct the air into the carb and not ovet it. I think there is benifits in our trucks with the ram air for sure. Jeff

mytmousemalibu

Cut your ride, sissy!
Apr 12, 2008
Kansas
Nice info to share, Thanks. I was working at jegs at the time and yes they had a LOT of time in the air pan. Many $ spent. It was a fine line to get enough volume(at launch) to feed the carbs with no pressure, but small enough to direct the air into the carb and not ovet it. I think there is benifits in our trucks with the ram air for sure. Jeff

Cool, That truck had some serious R&D put into the induction too! Kinda cool getting to be around cutting edge race tech! I agree, we should stand to make a good gain on our trucks too. I plan to do my own compound twins some day an i had planned to put both chargers behind the right headlamp. And for trips to the track, im going to do some fab work and make a ram-air scoop that fits in the headlamp hole to feed straight into the charger. What ever we can do to get air to the compressor with the smoothest, shortest, and easest path should be benificial!

Killerbee

Got Honey?
It is possible that the benefits of ram air are being confused with the observed benefits of charge temperature control.

In track scenarios, sourcing air externally gets IAT down faster than other methods, significantly reduced with just 100 ft of travel.

I don't mean to be offensive with the word placebo. Just that for every observed improvement there is a reason. If the truck is not tune driven with MAF or IAT, then those are not likely causes. But for sure, air density is important, no matter how you get it.

I know Pat has multi-generational stock intake experience. The reason racers pulled the headlight (whether they were aware of it or not) is that IAT would rise waiting to stage. A run at 150 IAT yielded lower times than cooler IAT's. The reasons are not in dispute. Without the headlight removed, the intake tended to protect that temperature, increasing the IAT "latency". Remove it, and there was a source of cool air the moment you got moving.

We showed that an LLY benefitted on Grade the same way. Removing the headlight made a big difference on time to summitt.

Anyway, I stand by my statement, at the speeds typical of a pickup, the term "ram" is not one that comes with any real scientific basis, when with 30 psi forced induction. This is not natural induction, where ram benefits can be realized. IAT control is a different matter. Having logged an IAT of 243 F, I can say, it is big. You can lose 20% density with this alone.