Why is my driveshaft...

TIM Z

Screwed by 0087s
Jan 17, 2009
Navarre, OH
Aluminum?, and my 3 buddies with LLY's have steel driveshafts?

Just wandering, doesnt really matter to me:D

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
OK, here's how I understand it:

All 2wd's get 2 pcs steel.
All CCLB's ditto.
Short wheelbase (RC/ECSB) 4x4 get one piece steel.
Everything else (CCSB / ECLB) get's a one piece aluminum, due to the length.

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
When a single driveshaft goes past a certain length, they need to switch to aluminum, which is more expensive.

And if it goes even longer, it has to go 2 piece. This is CCLB.

All two piece driveshafts are made of short pieces and can be made of steel, so all are. 2WD's have to be two-piece because there is no slip-yoke in the trans.

So it has to do with the length of the longest segment:
  • Short truck - 1pc steel.
  • Medium truck - 1pc alum.
  • Long truck - 2pc steel.

The 2wd thing had me puzzled until recently. I didn't realize the Allison doesn't use a slip yoke like other transmissions. In the 4x4, the transfer case has the slip yoke.

TIM Z

Screwed by 0087s
Jan 17, 2009
Navarre, OH
Hmm, didnt know that either, bu ive never seen underneath a 2 wheel dr. DMAX,

Interesting info Pat.

So what do These cars like the Chevelle with the Dmax/ALLY, and 65 Impala/PPE Pimp my ride use to take up slack? A CV driveshaft?

lotsofmiles

Father of the Van
Dec 4, 2008
Michigan
When a single driveshaft goes past a certain length, they need to switch to aluminum, which is more expensive.

And if it goes even longer, it has to go 2 piece. This is CCLB.

All two piece driveshafts are made of short pieces and can be made of steel, so all are. 2WD's have to be two-piece because there is no slip-yoke in the trans.

So it has to do with the length of the longest segment:
  • Short truck - 1pc steel.
  • Medium truck - 1pc alum.
  • Long truck - 2pc steel.

The 2wd thing had me puzzled until recently. I didn't realize the Allison doesn't use a slip yoke like other transmissions. In the 4x4, the transfer case has the slip yoke.

maybe off topic :hug: but,

I was reading Merchants recommended maintance list and he has lube driveshaft splines. I was looking at the truck today and I didnt see what to lube:confused: Do I need to do that with a 2wd truck?

and is this what I'm looking for?

http://www.motorera.com/dictionary/pics/S/slip_yoke.jpg

Whitetail Addict

Rockin' the stock tune
May 8, 2008
South Central Pennsylvania
Just a guess...but I would think he means to pull out the slip yoke and grease the splines inside the slip yoke. Thats what I did when I had the driveshaft out to replace the output seal...I used wheel bearing grease.

racinmike77

Sep 14, 2008
MD
maybe off topic :hug: but,

I was reading Merchants recommended maintance list and he has lube driveshaft splines. I was looking at the truck today and I didnt see what to lube:confused: Do I need to do that with a 2wd truck?

and is this what I'm looking for?

http://www.motorera.com/dictionary/pics/S/slip_yoke.jpg

No the splines are the slip yoke. According to pat 2wd allys dont have a slip yoke so there shouldnt be any splines to lube.

Whitetail Addict

Rockin' the stock tune
May 8, 2008
South Central Pennsylvania

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
my buddies 01 EC LB 4wd has a two piece steel and my 06 2wd EC LB dually has a 2 piece steel as well FWIW. and the 01 CCSB had two piece steel. It wasn't until 02 or maybe even late 01 that they went to one piece alum. on the CCSB I think due to driveline vib issues from the steel ones.

C-ya

Last edited:

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
No the splines are the slip yoke. According to pat 2wd allys dont have a slip yoke so there shouldnt be any splines to lube.
All driveshafts have a slip somewhere. The 2wd driveshafts probably have the slip at the carrier bearing.